My step son recently got a 3D printer. He got it mainly to make game pieces for online games for himself and some friends. And then after printing them, he paints them by hand. And since he was born and raised in a small west Texas town, he also has some interest in ag, especially growing cotton. So l was kind of excited when he said he would print some stuff for me, like miniature cotton bales and electric transformers. Some of you guys know that l'm working on building a 1/64th scale cotton gin display. l posted a pic of some real bales to show what they look like.

lt started out as just a simple thing with just the gin building but it started growing and now it has progressed into a whole complex of buildings. The gin plant, office building with scales, cotton seed storage building, burr storage building, a truck maintenance shop and the manager's home. And now he has talked me into putting interior lights in the gin and office.

He has downloaded a CAD  program to make the files that work with the 3D printer, so now l'm gathering pictures of gin interiors and the equipment inside like stands, dryers, fans and blowers so he he can try to design them for printing. So like l said, it has turned into a major but fun project for us to work on.

And l thought l would post a couple of pics of the gin trucks and decals l made for the trailers.

transformers-4.jpg

bales.JPG

bale truck-1 (5).jpg

bale truck-1 (4).jpg

Booger Creek trucks-1.jpg

cotton truck-1.jpg

Texas bagging & Ties-1.jpg

• Like 11

That's cool!  You two do nice work.

Speaking of 3D printers, I ran into a guy at the grocery store over the weekend.  He was driving a new 4-door Jeep Wrangler with all of the doors removed.  The side mirrors are attached to the doors so I noticed that he had mounted mirrors at the base of the Jeep's A-pillars.  When I commented on them, he said that he designed and 3D printed the brackets himself and sells them.  He already sold six sets.  The finish looked really good.  I think that 3D printing will revolutionize some aspects of specialty parts.

• Like 3

I'll throw my WOW into the hat!

That is some fantastic detail and scale, looks great!

TwoStep---

👍---------now that I have lured you into the trap, keep on teaching us.

I saved the picture of the old Gin with the bale platform pictured.  Seems like I have seen that scene a thousand times over here in the Delta. 

This project could just keep on going and going.

Let Tony and I know when you get  some grades back on your first samples coming out of Booger Creek Gin.

DD

• Like 2

I do some 3D printing. Kinda cool. I made some containers and vehicles for a grandson's nScale train, toys for the grand kids. Do a lot of stuff for ammo storage and such.

Rick

1 hour ago, Delta Dirt said:

I saved the picture of the old Gin with the bale platform pictured.

That pic is the banner for one of the cotton groups l'm in on FaceBook. l copied and saved it so my step son could get the right color to paint the miniature bales. l have about 200 or so pics of Texas gins that l've taken or got from Google earth. What amazes me is that you can see a gin building miles away and recognize what it is, but as you really look each one is different. Sort of like the old country stores. You recognize them almost immediately but up close up each one is a individual all it's own.

What make/model of  3D printer are you guys using? 

On 8/26/2020 at 1:20 PM, EquipmentJunkie said:

That's cool!  You two do nice work.

Speaking of 3D printers, I ran into a guy at the grocery store over the weekend.  He was driving a new 4-door Jeep Wrangler with all of the doors removed.  The side mirrors are attached to the doors so I noticed that he had mounted mirrors at the base of the Jeep's A-pillars.  When I commented on them, he said that he designed and 3D printed the brackets himself and sells them.  He already sold six sets.  The finish looked really good.  I think that 3D printing will revolutionize some aspects of specialty parts.

Just as print on demand has taken hold in the parts and service manual business.        Why keep inventory when you can print only as sold, especially for older books (and parts)?

I 3D printed a connecting rod for our pulling tractor to see if they would swing inside the block.  Made some changes then machined them from aluminum.  Pretty intriguing technology we can work with today!!

F2F08A7E-0022-4F0D-9CFF-2C7CB65799E5.jpeg

E180D8DB-3A89-4FD4-AA0D-240DAACB5CE7.jpeg

• Like 2
10 hours ago, Long Farms said:

Need some #22 and #30 cotton strippers 3d printed in 16th and 64th scale. 

l have "casually" mentioned the idea about the 1/64th strippers to my step son but l don't want to push him too much or take advantage of him....lol  The main reason he got the 3D printer is his gaming pieces plus he is still learning the CAD program to design things. But he has got the files to build the old style wooden slatted cotton trailers. l have several of the Greenlight 1/64th hay wagons that we talked about using the chassis and add the printed trailer to it.

One good thing about farm toy collecting is that in the past few years there have been quite a few people starting to custom build cotton related equipment like boll buggys and module builders. There are two 1/16th toys l would love to have built someday. One is a 656 LP Gold Demo. Yeah l know everybody said it never existed but it don't matter, l still want one. The other is a JD 283 basket stripper mounted on a JD 4430.

• Thanks 1

2706F270-312A-40B2-86BF-B58BCDCD2F3A.jpeg.f1ff3846b32b799bdf68b85747a95356.jpegCouple of things I’ve printed. Kids toys.

Ammo storage.480FAB47-8709-4BDA-A7C9-1C7415680769.jpeg.645fda961f14e47662b8711b5861535e.jpeg

I did not design any of this stuff.

Rick

2 hours ago, nomorejohndeere said:

Would any of the materials offered hold up for fuel storage?

As in a pony motor fuel tank?

Not the stuff available for most home users. You get into the more professional level and then there are other materials available.

Rick