Drove my First Farmall H

ran across of a video recently of a guy starting a 1939 John Deere A for the first time in 8 years. Anyways, I browse through some of his videos and then I realize he was from Missouri. Turns out he's only about 30 miles from me. I sent him a message through youtube and then I found myself at this place. He's a Massey Harris guy as that what he used on the farm growing up. But he has two Farmall Hs, a couple of John Deeres, a few Allis Chalmers, a few Olivers and a lot of other interesting things. He has a Fordson with a trip plow sitting next to his drive way as you pull up.

Anyways, I drove his 1940 Farmall H. He has to clean the gas tank so he has a pony tank on it now. He made a couple of small videos of me driving it, and I put both together to make one, small video. Here is is:

Enjoy the video, though it isn't very long.

Edited by FarmallFan
Do not post equipment for sale

The first tractor I ever drove is out in my shop, Dad's '51 M.  I did see the '39 H we fixed up to "Be mine", was sitting on the south side of Hillsdale, Illinois, east side of the road. Not sure how it got there, Dad traded it to Rischel Implement in Cambridge, Ill 26 miles away.

After growing up on red tractors, and running several old green tractors, I don't know why anybody ever bought a second green tractor!

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
21 hours ago, DOCTOR EVIL said:

The first tractor I ever drove is out in my shop, Dad's '51 M.  I did see the '39 H we fixed up to "Be mine", was sitting on the south side of Hillsdale, Illinois, east side of the road. Not sure how it got there, Dad traded it to Rischel Implement in Cambridge, Ill 26 miles away.

After growing up on red tractors, and running several old green tractors, I don't know why anybody ever bought a second green tractor!

I ended up trading a couple of 460's i had for parts for a  'B' John Deere. I put it on the extra hay rake just for kicks, everyone took a spin on it and decided the old red 'H' was a much nicer ride.

Really??   Had both a B & a 400, and would take the nice cushion on the B over the hard and bouncy pan seat on the 400 any day.    Must be different "rear ends"!   One thing--I got rid of the rear back cushion on the B, and replaced it with a strip of round baler belting.   Gives a little more depth on the seat, which fits my 6' better.  Was cheaper too.

Beware, it starts with driving an h......

That's true!   My first tractor driving was an H. Both Grandparents had H's and was the first tractor I was allowed to go out on by myself.

18 hours ago, from H to 80 said:

I ended up trading a couple of 460's i had for parts for a  'B' John Deere. I put it on the extra hay rake just for kicks, everyone took a spin on it and decided the old red 'H' was a much nicer ride.

Having raked hay with both the '39 H and a '40 B, would definitely agree the H wins,  H had elec start, lights, and most importantly, RADIO, 5 mph 4th gear plus 16 mph road gear. B was Armstrong EVERYTHING, 4-1/2 mph 4th  road gear in the 4-speed,  reverse seemed about 7 or 8 mph, and no lights, or radio.  But the Super H with the Fast 4th was best. Amazing what a difference 15 years of development made.  The B was bought for doing one job, and ONLY one job, haul 2-3 loads of manure out of the "hog house", mostly fall pigs. The driveway was long and narrow, needed a tractor/spreader less than 6 ft wide, plus had to hand pitch the manure. Final solution was to stop raising fall pigs and let the hog house sit empty! Unfortunately, skid steer loaders would have been another good solution, but they were about ten years in the future. Dad even priced a Danco loader for the Cub Cadet to clean that hog house. 

Heres the first tractor I ever rode on at 4 years old my grandpa gave me a ride on. Im 56 now. Now its my grandsons tractor hes 9 years old . 1951 H in family since new .1943125597_MarkyandRyanonH.thumb.JPG.266d01be45642b57cb474855dc1be275.JPG

I wish I did not have Vertigo, I miss driven those high sitting farmalls.

Currently I have two Farmall Cubs, a '47 and a '50, and a '44 Farmall B with Henderson Midget loader.  I would love to add a H or a C to the mix.