Does anyone have experience with a Case 580-D backhoe? I understand it is older but would like some opinions. I’ve been thinking about a backhoe for some personal projects around the farm and there is one that may become available. Not looking to start a business or anything.  No 4x4 or extenda-hoe. 2600hrs. 1982 model. Does have a clamshell bucket and seems clean for its age. The guy was known to take care of his equipment. 

713076B5-C4EC-42F7-8C7D-65C55CC2C32B.jpeg

BBF2DF85-3748-474C-AAB4-A5B55F83629A.jpeg

97C0EA47-FBB7-40BB-96CF-B0C06F3DFEC5.jpeg

B33DECD2-7DFB-4C02-8262-C00E46799D61.jpeg

3A82A3DF-AE20-4253-B014-3002CE432562.jpeg

Thomas Stanley has a Facebook page and is probably the sharpest guy around on Case Construction equipment   
I can get you his number if need be. 

• Thanks 1
Just now, Lazy WP said:

Thomas Stanley has a Facebook page and is probably the sharpest guy around on Case Construction equipment   

That’s all well and good if a guy has FB. I don’t have it. Thanks though. 

We had those where I worked. Guys would fight to run it other than the JCB. We thought they were good backhoe's. Scare the you know what out of you when you locked the boom up for driving down the road.

We have a 580B. Been a good unit so far.  Only major issues we've had is the coupler from the hydraulic pump to the motor wearing down so the pump stops working. Sounds like a whine when you start it and the hydraulics are slow for the first couple minutes. Was an easy job to replace though

Parts avaliability wasn't an issue for us, but finding someone knowledgeable enough to get the right parts has been challenging

Good idea to check all the pins and bushings. Can get a tad expensive to re-bush all of them. l know several guys that still run D models and they haven't said anything about having problems with parts availability.

• Like 1

Biggest downside IMO on a D is the Case engine under the hood............I find the 4 in 1 and the Deere wobble sticks on the hoe interesting, probably not many optioned out like that.  Lots of D's around me, other than certain engine parts that are available just not cheap, parts are out there for the machine itself.  Is the cab door there for it?  Those are about impossible to find not smashed up.

i dont have first hand experience with a D, i have the B and the old man has had 2 K's parts have not been an issue, great dealer support and even a decent aftermarket for seals etc, broken tractor has been great for them and bushings, pins etc. also the old man has done business with ConEquipParts he seems happy, never dealt with them personally, those hoes are kind of jumpy with the swing, but not nearly as bad as the K looks like a decent rig!

1 hour ago, TP from Central PA said:

Biggest downside IMO on a D is the Case engine under the hood............I find the 4 in 1 and the Deere wobble sticks on the hoe interesting, probably not many optioned out like that.  Lots of D's around me, other than certain engine parts that are available just not cheap, parts are out there for the machine itself.  Is the cab door there for it?  Those are about impossible to find not smashed up.

I would have rather seen the later Cummins engine in it. Not sure about the door just yet. 

5 hours ago, Sledgehammer said:

I would have rather seen the later Cummins engine in it. Not sure about the door just yet. 

Its not a deal breaker, but parts are alot easier to find for the Cummins if you need them but you have to step up to a E to get it, and that means more money too.  If the Case Engine was taken care of, it should last you a long time.  From what I can see in the picture all the cylinders look dry, but I don't see any grease all over the place either, which makes me nervous, mine has grease splatter over everything.   But if those hours are right, I assume it was a farm machine and is probably in good shape, 2600 hrs is nothing on those.  Heck, I bet acouple D's around me have rolled the meter over.

13 minutes ago, TP from Central PA said:

Its not a deal breaker, but parts are alot easier to find for the Cummins if you need them but you have to step up to a E to get it, and that means more money too.  If the Case Engine was taken care of, it should last you a long time.  From what I can see in the picture all the cylinders look dry, but I don't see any grease all over the place either, which makes me nervous, mine has grease splatter over everything.   But if those hours are right, I assume it was a farm machine and is probably in good shape, 2600 hrs is nothing on those.  Heck, I bet acouple D's around me have rolled the meter over.

I work with two guys currently that used to work with this man and both said he took good care of his things. I would be leary of the same things if I hadn’t had good info like that. 

..........Case 580....

....I worked in the Caribbean   for three years.......Part of my job was to ''train ''   the local   blokes on the art of machine operating....inc trucks.....It was a soul destroying job....to hear the tortured  scream of Mack triple counter shaft  gear box's    ..... where no gear box was ever designed  for those   blokes.... who still had a foot in the fifteenth    century........

There were two 580 D Case back hoe/ loader   tractors on site..........they were both still functioning when I left after three years.......albeit with scheduled   maintinence.......and the odd   repair to loader or back hoe  ....at the business end.,.....

That, Sledge....is all you need to know......;)

Mike

• Like 1

After reading Mike reference this job numerous times over the years and listening to his brother Peter on the same I thought the only thing they couldn’t break was a smile from Mike but apparently the 580 withstood their immeasurable talents also and that’s saying something, looks tidy for its age, you know the history, would be hard to go wrong if it checks out and the price is reasonable 

This sold at auction today. I didn’t buy. It brought $7200 which isn’t terrible. I decided to keep my money. The cab was rougher than I expected. Door was there but hinges were rusted off... Front bucket needed some welding in multiple places.  It would not start for the auctioneer but was running when I got there. There was a bad leak on one of the swing cylinders that was visually blown out. I’m not upset about it and I understand anything that age will require some work but it didn’t give me the warm fuzzies at all. There were a couple tractors but not enough to bring in a lot of buyers. 

Farmall 300, drawbar, T/A - $1300

IH 1066 in good shape - $10,600

20 minutes ago, TP from Central PA said:

LOL, sorta figured that when I seen the ether cans on the cab floor..............

I saw those also. They claimed it was electrical. It sounded like a sewing machine when it was running early on. That impressed me but some of the other wear didn’t. 

I’ll sell you a 580B that needs all that for half

1 hour ago, vtfireman85 said:

I’ll sell you a 580B that needs all that for half

Thank You?  I don’t need one terribly, just a thought for someday

2 minutes ago, Sledgehammer said:

Thank You?  I don’t need one terribly, just a thought for someday

Hold out for an E or a K, extendahoe preferably you will be better off in the long run, and have your cummins, 

• Like 1

the 188/206 were good engines and would slow work 2-3 days on a tank of fuel

ancient compared  to 590 sl/sm ( last of the good ones) but 3-4 gph on the cummins isnt too bad 

first series 416 cat/perkins was actually better