Super H/M Engine Casting Numbers

I was curious what the engine block casting numbers were for both the Super H and Super M Farmalls.  I had a reference guide previously that I was given to help me identify an engine on a Super H I was looking to purchase that turned out to be an engine from a regular Farmall H.  I cannot locate this reference guide and was wondering what the numbers were to help someone easily identify whether an engine is belonging to a Super or if it is just a "plain Jane".   Thanks

9 minutes ago, Lfdfireman said:

I was curious what the engine block casting numbers were for both the Super H and Super M Farmalls.  I had a reference guide previously that I was given to help me identify an engine on a Super H I was looking to purchase that turned out to be an engine from a regular Farmall H.  I cannot locate this reference guide and was wondering what the numbers were to help someone easily identify whether an engine is belonging to a Super or if it is just a "plain Jane".   Thanks

What are you trying to find out ? 

Trying to find engine casting numbers to identify the block/engine that were in the Super models.  I had a guy trying to sell me a Super H some time back and upon further review and the help of a guy who sent me the casting numbers, I was able to determine the block was from a standard H and not a Super H.  

The engine displacement is usually stamped on the blocks nothing to identify

Original SM 356980R1.  From memory I think original SH was 358068R1. Replacement blocks could have a different number.

40 minutes ago, DWV said:

Original SM 356980R1.  From memory I think original SH was 358068R1. Replacement blocks could have a different number.

Super M's and plain M's are stamped engine size either 248 cid or 264 cid

6 minutes ago, ksfarmdude said:

Super M's and plain M's are stamped engine size either 248 cid or 263 cid

Yes a SM had  C-264 on block and also 400 tractors. SH had C-164. Most all M tractors don't have the engine size on block unless a diesel. To date I only found  2 late original M engines with C-248 on them. Find replacement blocks every now and then with C-248 on them and some of those are actually the same cylinder size as a C-264 or C-281 on the inside. Poster was asking about block casting numbers and I thought he wanted those instead of engine size numbers. Could be wrong.

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, DWV said:

Yes a SM had  C-264 on block and also 400 tractors. SH had C-164. Most all M tractors don't have the engine size on block unless a diesel. To date I only found  2 late original M engines with C-248 on them. Find replacement blocks every now and then with C-248 on them and some of those are actually the same cylinder size as a C-264 or C-281 on the inside. Poster was asking about block casting numbers and I thought he wanted those instead of engine size numbers. Could be wrong.

Mine  M shows 248 cid 

1 hour ago, ksfarmdude said:

Mine  M shows 248 cid 

Always interested in different things that show up. Does the block have a cast number above the size like picture and a date code shown in another picture?  Later 400 block in picture. Early ones ended the cast number with R1 and  that engine date code is a 56 model.

DSCF0796.JPG

DSCF0793.JPG