Jump to content

Recommended Posts

11 minutes ago, acem said:

Can you please post a better scan of the rice combine in the brochure?

I'll try.... this better? 

The picture is from the 1979 Ag equipment buyers guide. 

20200824_221819.thumb.jpg.3bb936fdafef74674cf7840054f9a455.jpg

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

When talking about final drives on the steel tracks used on the rice 1400 series combines, do the final drives actually carry any weight in this setup? The reason I ask is that on the Axial-Trac setup on today's Flagship combines, they use the smallest final drive available on a Flagship since all the final drive does is essentially turn the big drive wheel for the track...the final drive doesn't carry any weight of the combine on it...the undercarriage for the track carries the weight of the machine. If that's the case, then the final drives shouldn't have any more problems on tracks than they did on wheels.

As far as 1400 series final drives, I would agree with ksfarmdude, the 1400 series gave lots of problems. Let's put it this way, if the rest of the 1400 series Axial-Flow combine gave as much trouble as their final drives, the Axial-Flow combine would have never achieved the "legendary status" like it did. The original 3-bolt two-piece flange design was almost dangerous with a big header and full grain tank on a 1480; the later design with a single-bolt two-piece flange was only somewhat better, the one-piece cast flange on the 1600 series finally fixed that problem. The other big problem with 1400 series finals was that the housing would tend to spread on the front side where the tin cover was...causing loss of bearing preload which would end up as final drive failure as well. For a band-aid fix, they came out with that cast spacer between the final drive and cover to keep the housing from spreading. Finally on the 1600 series they came out with the cast cover assembly to prevent housing spread. Even 1600 series final drives were not the best, they finally addressed the whole problem with the final drives on 21/2300 series.

When Gordon Haynes Harvesting was running around here in 1981-82 with 8 1480s, our IH dealer was doing final drives for them constantly. Final drive failures on the 1400 series was one of the driving forces behind IH developing the Pro Harvest program that followed custom cutters up the harvest run from Texas to Canada with product support and big item parts that were not normally stocked by the average IH dealer. The Pro Harvest program continues to this day with 2 semi-trailers that leapfrog their way from Texas up north every summer to keep custom cutters going.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, SDman said:

When talking about final drives on the steel tracks used on the rice 1400 series combines, do the final drives actually carry any weight in this setup?

Not if using IH tracks.  IH tracks had their own support system that held the machine to the track undercarriage.  The sprocket bolted in place of the wheen and simply drove the tracks.  But there was a company in Michigan that built self supporting tracks that bolted on just like a tire.  I mentioned all this in a post on page 1. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Dad had a 69 model 815, he bought it new that fall.  We had final drive issues nearly once a year.  I remember in the early 70's a final went out right in the middle of a mud hole in a milo field in late August.  It was hot, muddy and the mosquitoes were biting and that damned itchy milo dust was everywhere, every once in awhile a small gust of wind would blow some right down my sweat soaked back back as we were wrestling with big timbers to put in place to jack that old b i t c h  up.  We never did have final drive issues with the 76 model 815.  Both machines had the terra tires on them.  The first 815 was put out of it's misery by a merciful fire during the wheat harvest of 76.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JD Humm said:

Dad had a 69 model 815, he bought it new that fall.  We had final drive issues nearly once a year.  I remember in the early 70's a final went out right in the middle of a mud hole in a milo field in late August.  It was hot, muddy and the mosquitoes were biting and that damned itchy milo dust was everywhere, every once in awhile a small gust of wind would blow some right down my sweat soaked back back as we were wrestling with big timbers to put in place to jack that old b i t c h  up.  We never did have final drive issues with the 76 model 815.  Both machines had the terra tires on them.  The first 815 was put out of it's misery by a merciful fire during the wheat harvest of 76.

Wow I feel for you that's the worst place possible i believe ,  I've had two axle shafts completely break off one on my 1460 in the field thankfully cutting wheat   the ground was soft so the first block disappeared in the ground trying to jack it up took about 3 or 4 jacking stages to git'er lifted off the wheel before we could take off the final drive housing had three guys took 4 hrs to get the combine back to cutting again

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Have 30.5x32 rice and canes and Mudhog with rice and canes and there is not many places you can not go. Steel tracks are a huge pain unless you are set up with way to move between fields. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Back in the 80s there was 2 brothers about 15 mi east of me that had tracks on a early 1480, think they were the "Michigan" style iirc. Anyhow they were fabricators, kinda like Bitty, and they built a 4 wheel platform with hyd motors on some or all wheels with quick couplers on the 1480s hydro lines to disconnect and hook them to the hyd motors on the platform. Drive tracks on platform, switch hydro lines, road to next field using 1480s drive system, reverse procedure and harvest. Quite an engineering feet really. One has passed on and I have not seen the other in yrs. Used to buy straw from them, very interesting to listen to !

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, 1480x3 said:

Back in the 80s there was 2 brothers about 15 mi east of me that had tracks on a early 1480, think they were the "Michigan" style iirc. Anyhow they were fabricators, kinda like Bitty, and they built a 4 wheel platform with hyd motors on some or all wheels with quick couplers on the 1480s hydro lines to disconnect and hook them to the hyd motors on the platform. Drive tracks on platform, switch hydro lines, road to next field using 1480s drive system, reverse procedure and harvest. Quite an engineering feet really. One has passed on and I have not seen the other in yrs. Used to buy straw from them, very interesting to listen to !

Sounds neat for sure

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you very much for the information every one.  There is basically one field where I expect to need the extra flotation. I was concerned about the final drives and that is why I was interested in tracks vs bigger tires or duals.  From what I understand the weak points in the drives were fixed in the 16 series?  Could I in that case update to a newer style final drive or are they totally different? And how much is it installing and removing the tracks?

Also, I have been toying with the idea of of updating my combine one of these years.  How do the New Holland TR98 era compare to a 1688 or so? The NH's seem to be more affordable but I don't know them at all. How are they in terms of reliability, cost ownership and performance?  Do they handle mud any better or worse? 

Thanks again for all the info!

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/25/2020 at 5:14 PM, ksfarmdude said:

Wow I feel for you that's the worst place possible i believe ,  I've had two axle shafts completely break off one on my 1460 in the field thankfully cutting wheat   the ground was soft so the first block disappeared in the ground trying to jack it up took about 3 or 4 jacking stages to git'er lifted off the wheel before we could take off the final drive housing had three guys took 4 hrs to get the combine back to cutting again

Worst thing other than getting the machine jacked up with the junk final drives was wrestling those terra tires in a mud hole.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/25/2020 at 8:42 AM, 706 German said:

Friends combine. 

D9D273C2-1AF0-489C-99BF-0C14EC552C60.jpeg

What kind of tracks are those?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...