886 draft sensing shaft seal

The left hand side of the draft sensing shaft is leaking on my 886. Can this o-ring be replaced from the outside or do I need to drain the rear frame and remove the PTO to replace it from the inside?

You have to drain the rear, remove the PTO, then remove all the lower draft parts.  The torsion one and the tube.  This may also mean moving the tires out if you are set on 30" rows.  It may also mean cutting it apart with a torch and replacing lots of expensive parts just to change an o-ring.  Could also come apart easily.  Good luck.

• Like 2

886 would have a Cat II hitch, LH seals can be replaced by draining the oil and pulling the LH crank arm off, which can be easier said then done. Also, if the parts have a lot of wear, new seals can be a short term fix or they may not stop the leak at all.

• Like 1

The left side, as sitting in the in the seat, can be changed without too many trouble. The rice one is the bear. Thx-Ace 

• Like 1
20 hours ago, messer9696 said:

The left hand side of the draft sensing shaft is leaking on my 886. Can this o-ring be replaced from the outside or do I need to drain the rear frame and remove the PTO to replace it from the inside?

2 orings and 20 minutes No you do not have to drain the oil . the oil will not come out much faster than how it is leaking now in 20 minutes you wouldnt get an ice cream  full out .

• Like 1

1 - Thanks, interesting info. I was under the impression I had to pull PTO and shafts and replace from the inside? What's the general consensus?

2 - This tractor never did farm so I'm thinking it was hay and twine that packed in there over the years and tore the seal up. I sure hope I don't have to replace the shaft or bushings.

The consensus is that its an easy fix the bushings do not give much trouble but the outside yoke wears on the shaft and starts to wobble around fretting the o-rings and those two parts were very big money now discontinued so most people just put orings in occasionally as the shaft doesn't really rotate far I doubt there is twine causing the problem

• Like 1
19 hours ago, messer9696 said:

1 - Thanks, interesting info. I was under the impression I had to pull PTO and shafts and replace from the inside? What's the general consensus?

2 - This tractor never did farm so I'm thinking it was hay and twine that packed in there over the years and tore the seal up. I sure hope I don't have to replace the shaft or bushings.

I would just do both sides and be done with it. that would entail draining the oil and pulling the pto as mentioned. Probably a good time to change the oil and filter if it were mine. If you wanna roll the dice go ahead and swap out the left side. I'd still drain the oil so your not in a rush. I cut an o ring once doing this job. It's easy to do. Lubricate them well, and there is timing Mark's on here nobody has mentioned yet. Clean them up before hand and find them or make one. Sometimes the 3 point arm pins are a bear to remove. I soak them and use an air hammer to remove them if they get stuck. You can get a slight groove started then lean in on your hammer and they slide right out. I have ruined some before mainly on bigger tractors that dont use 3 point much. Roll the o rings in with a pick so you dont roll them. After you have done one it takes 10 minutes for the left side. Trouble is your half way to the right side. Just my 

• Like 2

Thanks again for all the info. LH o-ring is in and appears to be holding. Parts book didn't show a second o-ring on the left side so I had to reuse the one inside the crank arm. Used the tractor for about 5 min and no sign of leaking yet. Fingers still crossed!

the IH numbers for the o-rings was  large 468335r1 and small 383260r1 case new holland screwed with the numbers so many times its unreal. they are both shown under draft sensing in the book

48 minutes ago, R190 said:

the IH numbers for the o-rings was  large 468335r1 and small 383260r1 case new holland screwed with the numbers so many times its unreal. they are both shown under draft sensing in the book

Here is what threw me off when ordering parts. Only shows one o-ring on the left side in the 86 series book. Shows a second one on the right side but not the LH and also only calls for one of the smaller o-ringscanvas.thumb.png.59f23ef2812147feef1485a740587ede.png. Is there a second one on the RH too?

39 minutes ago, TeachersPet1066 said:

Another picture of the washer suggestion to keep from slipping.

Ironically enough have waited 2 months for PTO to return.  Putting back in tomorrow.

80929352-7AC8-4782-9665-7A18F837AD2A.jpeg

What is the washer trick? I must have missed it somewhere.

2 hours ago, messer9696 said:

Here is what threw me off when ordering parts. Only shows one o-ring on the left side in the 86 series book. Shows a second one on the right side but not the LH and also only calls for one of the smaller o-ringscanvas.thumb.png.59f23ef2812147feef1485a740587ede.png. Is there a second one on the RH too?

No just 1 small one the picture is screwed up 

• Like 1