Help needed. Truck overheated in Conrad MT.

Mudfly

Mudfly

If you need more help,  you may try Google for AutoZone,  O'Rileys , Advance or other parts stores.    AutoZone will have rental tools if you need something special.

Glad you are going now and please keep us informed of your progress.   I'm also a combat veteran from VietNam,  thank you and your wife for her service to us and our country.    What is your destination?    I would like to follow along as you go.

GT&T

• Like 1

Hope you left your troubles behind you in Montana, might be a song in the making as your reflect in the days ahead

Quick check on head gasket is it will build coolant pressure extremely quick as you start it cold or even rad hose hard the next morning provided the surge tank cap hasn’t been opened and it’s sealing properly, if that’s ok and your problem returns go with fan clutch, you should hear it lock up and see your temps drop as it’s cycling today if it starts heating up again 

Good luck for the rest of your trip, problems away from home aren’t fun, put a new tstat back in when you get home running without is cold blooded and will create other issues over time, also the new Tstats aren’t always good out of the box new either

You won’t see bubbles in the reservoir or surge tank as it’s located quite a way from rad and no way to see directly in rad

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mudfly said:

Update.  30 miles down the road.  Cruising at 60.  Temp running 180ish without the thermostat.

If it gets warm again stop and let cool.

You might want to consider traveling at night the outside temperatures will be lower giving it a better chance of staying cool  

Glad to hear your moving.  It sounds like the thermostat was the trouble . At work On two 04 and 03 with 6.0 the right hand side motor mount has failed and will let the fan rub the housing and it will not cool well.  I’m not sure if the 8.1 is the same but might be something to check when you get home.  Thank you to you and your wife for your service to our country.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Paystar5000 said:

Glad to hear your moving.  It sounds like the thermostat was the trouble . At work On two 04 and 03 with 6.0 the right hand side motor mount has failed and will let the fan rub the housing and it will not cool well.  I’m not sure if the 8.1 is the same but might be something to check when you get home.  Thank you to you and your wife for your service to our country.  

Yes the volcanized rubber engine mounts on the 8.1 disentigrate.  In my case the fan would rub the housing when the truck was at weird angles off road.  I have 266000 on my 8.1 and going strong yet.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mudfly said:

Made it to friends’ house in Helena.  No further hearing issues so far. 

Glad to hear that. Not sure where your going but hopefully the rest of your trip will be uneventful. Good luck to you. Thanks for your and the wife service.

9 hours ago, mader656 said:

If your taking I90 east and still having issues at Columbus. Get ahold of me on here...

I waved when I drove thru.  

going to stop in Billings for the night.  Running 70+ mph on I90 at 95 degrees with the AC on.  I think I found the problem.

more information later.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, drglinski said:

If on a long trip and in a pinch with a hot engine you can always pull the hood that helps too 

Back in the day dad had bought a new 74 gmc 3/4 ton 4 wd. Dad bought a new Lehman hay over and had to drive to hecla S.D. to pick it up. A 200 mile one way trip. He hit a cow the night before. The hood popped open and bent over the windshield. He unbolted it threw it in the box and kept going. The factory didn’t have the chains on mover yet so they threw them in box on top of bent hood. Moms cousin would talk about that trip the hood opened at 70 mph and they stuck their heads out window to see where they were headed.

11 hours ago, GT&T said:

Mudfly

If you need more help,  you may try Google for AutoZone,  O'Rileys , Advance or other parts stores.    AutoZone will have rental tools if you need something special.

Glad you are going now and please keep us informed of your progress.   I'm also a combat veteran from VietNam,  thank you and your wife for her service to us and our country.    What is your destination?    I would like to follow along as you go.

GT&T

We are being stationed at Grand Forks, AFB but are both from MN so we are headed ‘home’ for a few days before reporting to base.

• Like 2

So more details.  Someone mentioned the noise of the fan when driving.  I have owned this truck for over 5 years and never heard the fan other than right at start up for about 30 seconds to a minute of driving.  Even when the temp gauge was pegged yesterday it didn’t make that much noise.

well today without the t-stat I was pulling the hill outside Columbus MT (hey Mader!) and I couldn’t figure out why the truck was so loud.  Turns out it was the fan and it locked up FINALLY.

Apparently the t-stat was never open enough to allow the radiator to get hot enough to make the fan clutch engage.  I even thought for awhile last night that the temp sending unit was bad as the radiator never felt that hot (should have been obvious sign), but the engine was definitely HOT.

i drove this same truck all the way to AK 2 years ago pulling the same trailer and never had that fan engage.  Also it has always run what I would call warm to hot when in town/ stop and go driving.  Makes perfect sense now.

Picked up a new 180 degree T-stat to have just in case, but I’m going to wait to our destination if possible.

14 minutes ago, Mudfly said:

We are being stationed at Grand Forks, AFB but are both from MN so we are headed ‘home’ for a few days before reporting to base.

Good to hear. Grand Forks is a nice town. If coming down hiway 2 you will pass through Rugby ND. Stop and take your picture at center of North America.

52 minutes ago, dale560 said:

Good to hear. Grand Forks is a nice town. If coming down hiway 2 you will pass through Rugby ND. Stop and take your picture at center of North America.

We were at GFAFB before going to AK, so we know it well.  I also graduated from UND... when they were still the Fighting Sioux.

So I just want to thank those that contributed.  It turned out to be minor but when you are on the road, everything is a big deal.

specifically I want to say thank you, as you guys helped me collect my thoughts as to what needed to be checked, tested and then done.  When you are out by yourself it is beneficial to have someone or many someone’s to bounce ideas off of to make sure you are on the right path.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Mudfly said:

So I just want to thank those that contributed.  It turned out to be minor but when you are on the road, everything is a big deal.

specifically I want to say thank you, as you guys helped me collect my thoughts as to what needed to be checked, tested and then done.  When you are out by yourself it is beneficial to have someone or many someone’s to bounce ideas off of to make sure you are on the right path.

Mudfly

Thank you for that compliment and also for taking the time to say Thank You!     You would be surprised to know how many times that someone has asked for information or help,  and never even acknowledged that someone answered their question. 

I have used your method of obtaining help many times and it has always helped me.

GT&T

• Like 1

Great to hear you made it!

Pick up a new 195 thermostat because you'll want some heat where you're stationed. A properly working 195 will be fine. You want the engine running below boiling not cold. It's obvious the old thermostat failed but it doesn't matter if it's a failed 180 or 195. The engine is designed to run at the higher temperature. Your truck has a very good cooling system and the fan should rarely lock on the highway. Use the right dexcool antifreeze.

7 hours ago, jass1660 said:

It takes 16 degrees for a thermostat to fully open so a 195 will be fully open at 211 one degree beneath waters boiling point but I’m sure antifreeze mix has higher boiling point.

And water under pressure has a higher boiling point to boot.....

7 hours ago, jass1660 said:

It takes 16 degrees for a thermostat to fully open so a 195 will be fully open at 211 one degree beneath waters boiling point but I’m sure antifreeze mix has higher boiling point.

Under a 15 psi cap pure water boils at 250, that's why you should never remover the cap when over 212 as instant boil, steam, scald.

You're exactly right about the 15+/- degrees to full open. The engine should run at its design temperature of about 210. You'll notice the gauge has 210 straight up. If it goes over that it's no big deal unless the coolant boils which it won't until over 265-270  +/- depending upon antifreeze mix, then you're not getting proper cooling. The top of the gauge is 260 and you should  be concerned if it gets close as you're running out of room before boiling. Old timers think that running at 160 is good for an engine but that's just not true. If you run with no thermostat in the winter you'll get a check engine light with a code that says something like "coolant out of temperature range".

For those who think that's way too hot consider air cooled engines. The max cylinder head temperature of my 470 CI Continental engine is 500 degrees with a desired normal  temp of 400. 250 just isn't that hot.