Things you don't do anymore that you really miss on the farm.

I loved cutting silage and the dairies just started around here.  I loved everything about it, smell long days, packing and riding in the tractor with Grandpa as a kid.

KIMG0170.JPG

• Like 15
  • Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I miss making a profit doing what I like to do. 

I loved cutting silage and the dairies just started around here.  I loved everything about it, smell long days, packing and riding in the tractor with Grandpa as a kid.

I miss simpler times when everything didn't have to be rush rush rush, got the work done and still had time for some R & R. Going to visit neighbors, friends, and relatives on Sunday. Working hard

Posted Images

We chopped with a 3688 hauled with a h blew with A 165 mf it was all we had now we have a lot more hp but milk cows been gone long time . I love the whine of a chopper.

• Like 4

First I remember was a 1066 black stripes and a gehl pull type cutter with 2 large roorda wooden boxes, I think 16 ft with tops on them.  686 with a westendorf loader pushing and packing and a 656 diesel hauling wagons.  It was an all week project at our place and a week and a half for the neighbor.

• Like 4

I miss driving my grandpa's old 220 IH cotton pickers. I really miss the smell of fresh picked cotton.

• Like 5

What I miss is cultivating with the 4 row rear mount on the 656 no cab going 3 mph north with a 3 mph wind blowing north just loved eating the dust

• Haha 4

Milking...2 3hr is nice.  No phone no bother etc.  But when it became 8 9....aanndd you had other things to do...

• Like 5

I miss simpler times when everything didn't have to be rush rush rush, got the work done and still had time for some R & R. Going to visit neighbors, friends, and relatives on Sunday. Working hard and actually being rewarded for it in your wallet, now it seems like it's just the work hard part, maybe I'm doing something wrong.

• Like 10

Pulling silage wagons and full hay racks with a Super M. Love the sound of that tractor.

In the fall pulling wagons of ear corn to the corncrib at night. Pulling a hill with a full wagon i could see a hint of color at the top of the muffler. Cool crisp nights after school. Loved it! Sure sucked shoveling out the crib the following Aug to feed the sheller....

• Like 5

This might not make a lot of sense because we have way bigger and newer stuff now but for some reason I really enjoyed corn harvest when I had my 1460s, 1660, 1688. I’m just not sure why it’s different now. I think I just had more fun in general back then 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Pete1468 said:

KIMG0170.JPG

Sure beats telling a bunch of truck driving SOB’s how to unload gravel in front of your pile, doesn’t it?  And then watching me get pushed out because I was going too slow!

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, ihrondiesel said:

Sure beats telling a bunch of truck driving SOB’s how to unload gravel in front of your pile, doesn’t it?  And then watching me get pushed out because I was going too slow!

Were you hauling gravel today?  We had 23 or so trucks going.

• Like 1

36D063DA-65A6-40E8-A64F-203AADA0A5AD.thumb.jpeg.82179ff5060c965e7a678efac5b80c0c.jpeg

Maybe a long shot, but I wonder if Tonyinca or ray54 might recognize this truck since it came from California. 
There is a fleet out there that are all striped like this one. 

Edited by ihrondiesel
Added
  • Like 1

I miss chopping corn silage.  It was a job I enjoyed.  It was the beginning of harvest.  We always had a group of people together to help.  I ran the chopper.  It was nice time of the year.  Warm days and cool nights.  

8B27E003-C012-45FD-B72A-A09295A4180D.jpeg

09D12BE5-4079-44A3-A76B-430DFE2B1D11.jpeg

938CD6E7-EB22-4667-9C30-BAF6C7024E7F.jpeg

F86B26D8-1908-4202-A088-EA812E0A9156.jpeg

• Like 10

I miss the slower times. Grandpa was farmer until he gave it up in his 80's. Me being a kid and free labor all we had to worry about was getting some fishing time in. He loved to fish. We werent worried about buying anything, or taking on more. Just do what you have to do no more no less. Go hunting, fishing, and most important of all any excuse to get the family together. Birthdays, holidays and the annual family reunion. Now we work full time, farm 5x the ground with 1/4 the time. Stay broke from buying the next addition to the farm constantly and family never gets together. I honestly dont know if he would be proud of me or call me a damn fool. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 6

I've never seen silage being chopped. The dairies near me didn't use silage. They both closed up around 80. 

I miss not worrying how I was going to make my next loan payment.

Thx-Ace 

• Like 6
15 minutes ago, ihrondiesel said:

I was the first load on the pile. Been hauling off and on all week. 

31733078-FC50-461D-B4C7-A6A6E308890D.jpeg

You mean I showed you where to go this morning  and I didn't even know who I was talking to?  I didn't get back down there as I had several places to be to make sure it was all going in the right direction.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Pete1468 said:

You mean I showed you where to go this morning  and I didn't even know who I was talking to?  I didn't get back down there as I had several places to be to make sure it was all going in the right direction.

Yep, that was me. I wasn’t sure if you were running a dozer or not. 

The chopping was by far my favorite part. The farm I worked at started harvesting their own silage again the last six years I was there. The first few years I did the majority of the corn chopping. Those years were fun.  Our goal was to get to the field when it got light out and we shut down maybe an hour or two after dark, make the most of the daylight hours. I would get to the shop an hour early and service the chopper, when the first truck was ready we headed for the field. I had a list of fields to chop that day and I had a plan made out in advance for opening and such to keep trucks moving. We ran semis and straight trucks, semis got the easy runs in the middle of the field and the straights did the opening, splitting, hills and wet spots. If I did my job right the guy packing never knew I switched fields unless I had to travel but we always tried to keep the corn planted in blocks of 80 to 100 acres. We could usually chop 100 acres on a good day. 

The harvesting was my favorite part of the farm. I enjoyed it all, the maintenance, emergency repairs, operating and the challenges. 

• Like 2

I miss sitting in the fields at night eating in the tractor to keep the bugs off the food, I miss the smell of fresh cut hay, I miss sitting on the tractor and thinking..........but the thing i miss most of all is reporting everything I did to my grandpa who couldnt help anymore - he had a stroke and was confined to a chair in the house. They didnt have therapy and stroke drugs and what not like they do now. I miss the look and tear in his eye when he couldnt do things and would get frustrated. I miss him looking out the window when i would come home from whatever I was doing. He always had a smile. I miss gmas rolls. I miss every sunday dinner at their house. 

And as many of you have shared............I miss the more simple times, slower pace, closeness of the neighbors. 

• Like 7