i admire you auto mechanics

from H to 80

I don't know how you guys do it, day in and day out,squeezing under the hoods of these vehicles and getting your hands in places they don't fit .

I got a call from my BIL super nice guy he works his tail off while his wife sits on hers,anyway he blew a heater hose on his pickup while hauling his daughters stuff to college. He asked my if he could get my help and use my shop to fix it, i thought" heater hose 15 minutes tops" WRONG. It took us 4 hours to replace the 2 of them, they have some kind of self looking clamp that clicks into place that requires a special tool to remove.After searching the internet and measuring the new hose i made a tool to fit the slots perfectly, it didn't work, i finally managed to break the clips with a screwdriver and get the lines off the heater core only to find that they had put one of those @#$$%# goofy squeeze type hose clamps on the engine side with both ears facing straight back. I tried every plier ,channel lock and vice grip i had and finally ended up cutting it in half with a carbide tip on a die grinder. I guess if you had all the specialty tools it might not be a bad job, but with a farm shop toolbox we finally got it done a little after 9 o clock.

I agree I see no fun in it anymore, I like to stand on the ground in the engine bay

Was buying a car at dealership in 92 and in service bay and I see a new Nissan 300 whatever Z sitting with hood open and mechanic with catchers mitt hands and ask what do you do if that needs major work, he looks over and says think seriously about rolling you cabinet to the door and look for a new shop to work out of

• Like 1

I see our trade as stupidity for engaging it.

I think the single most important tool in the shop as patience.

Had to install an upper engine support assembly to drop the suspension and engine cradle to install a p/s pump last week. 

It is a young man`s job that I still endure due to poor planning. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, from H to 80 said:

I guess if you had all the specialty tools it might not be a bad job

That's just it. It's a piece of cake with the right tool and near impossible without. Been down that road.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MTO said:

I see our trade as stupidity for engaging it.

I think the single most important tool in the shop as patience.

Had to install an upper engine support assembly to drop the suspension and engine cradle to install a p/s pump last week. 

It is a young man`s job that I still endure due to poor planning. 

I can put you in a truck hauling gas then you can be just like me and Sandhiller??

• Like 1

On 8/20/2020 at 1:45 PM, new guy said:

I can put you in a truck hauling gas then you can be just like me and Sandhiller??

Nope, won`t pass the physical as too many meds besides always told my sons,"If you`re too stupid to do anything else....":rolleyes:

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

48 minutes ago, Tippmann98 said:

The parts stores around here carry all the specialty tools. You pay for the tool, take it home and use it, return it for a full refund. Can’t beat it 

The parts stores, IMO, don’t carry 1/100th of the tools that are really out there....normal guys  like you and I though, we don’t even know those tools exist. There are some Really neat specialty tools out there.  I used a crows foot line style wrench and a combo of 5 swivels and extensions (simple tools, obviously not specialty)  to get a power steering line out off a rack and pinion yesterday. It was under 3/4” away from the fire wall and 80% obstructed from view.  Pretty proud of myself.  Neighbor paid a shop to do the same job on same year/model vehicle last year,  $800, as they told him those lines “never come out” and he needed a new rack. 

Being an auto mechanic is tough all the tools you need, the space that you have to force yourself into and all the **** you put your body through so thanks for appreciating us. Brian 

I was looking at a new Case/Ih, about 180 hp, with a loader on it.

How do you work on the engine?

Lower yourself in with a Sky Hook?

Then if you forgot a wrench, you have to climb out again.

I worked on tractors because I could stand next to the engine and work on it.

I couldn't get past the front wheel assist tire.

I am glad I hung up the wrenches for hire. Cars, trucks, pickups, tractors have all went the same way.

Impossible to work on.

• Like 1

the tool thing is never ending, then about every second year some thing comes out that requires another tool or tools, at the end of your career you end up with at least 50,000.00 worth of tolls that are only worth that to you. have been to sales were used snap on and mac tools were lucky to fetch ten cents on the dollar. i always bought new tools to make my job easier and more productive but it never ends. i work or worked on everything from washing machines to wheel barrows and everything in between so my tool boxes are over flowing with specialty tools for automotive, ag, heavy truck and heavy duty. i know i will never recover the cost but have son who is also a technician so he will get them all. the righ tool makes the job a whole lot easier plus the ability to swear and cuss bad enough to make a sailor blush but we always get it done don't we boys.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, dieselman said:

the tool thing is never ending, then about every second year some thing comes out that requires another tool or tools, at the end of your career you end up with at least 50,000.00 worth of tolls that are only worth that to you. have been to sales were used snap on and mac tools were lucky to fetch ten cents on the dollar. i always bought new tools to make my job easier and more productive but it never ends. i work or worked on everything from washing machines to wheel barrows and everything in between so my tool boxes are over flowing with specialty tools for automotive, ag, heavy truck and heavy duty. i know i will never recover the cost but have son who is also a technician so he will get them all. the righ tool makes the job a whole lot easier plus the ability to swear and cuss bad enough to make a sailor blush but we always get it done don't we boys.

Innocent question—how do specialty tools fly across the shop compared to cheap wrenches? ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, MTO said:

Nope, won`t pass the physical as too many meds besides always told my sons,"If you`re too stupid to do anything else....":rolleyes:

Guess there's a place for everyone,..................... "bless our hearts"...................................

2 hours ago, yellowrosefarm said:

What would you say the average auto mechanics tool box/contents cost to put together these days? 50,000, 75,000? Since most get paid flat rate, it doesn't take long to pay for a specialty tool......but it still costs.

1293702053_mechdiag.thumb.png.93be0c11fa96454485da36f66d582d9a.png

41 minutes ago, ihrondiesel said:

Innocent question—how do specialty tools fly across the shop compared to cheap wrenches? ?

Nothin' innocent in that question at all, i think you know damn well how they fly???

What a great topic, I'm not a wrench but just learned over the years what needed to be done, but the physical ability and ailments is the true test, for the first time I took my jeep for general upkeep at 125000 kms, brakes, plugs,  wires, hoses and antifreeze, to a shadetree friend of mine who I know is good and charges a decent rate, not that the rate is the reason but it helps when you get two and a half hours for a dealer one hour,  this is the first time for that, but the fact is 600.00 is way cheaper than the pain I feel after doing the work.

I did my gurls jeep rad three months ago and the flat clamps (which I know are better than gear clamps) were a real pain to remove, off to the store to buy the "special" plier to remove for a price of 25.00, but now I have it, if  you ever want a good laff ask my wife about the tools I've bought over the more than half century ( sounds like a long time doesn't it) ? that are one time buys, I always say if I use it once it pays for itself.

On that note in the last month I bought three new tools, a cylinder camera, a diagnostic reader, and a allen set that is called a security allen key, an allen key with a dimple in the middle (why?).

14 hours ago, from H to 80 said:

I don't know how you guys do it, day in and day out,squeezing under the hoods of these vehicles and getting your hands in places they don't fit .

I got a call from my BIL super nice guy he works his tail off while his wife sits on hers,anyway he blew a heater hose on his pickup while hauling his daughters stuff to college. He asked my if he could get my help and use my shop to fix it, i thought" heater hose 15 minutes tops" WRONG. It took us 4 hours to replace the 2 of them, they have some kind of self looking clamp that clicks into place that requires a special tool to remove.After searching the internet and measuring the new hose i made a tool to fit the slots perfectly, it didn't work, i finally managed to break the clips with a screwdriver and get the lines off the heater core only to find that they had put one of those @#$$%# goofy squeeze type hose clamps on the engine side with both ears facing straight back. I tried every plier ,channel lock and vice grip i had and finally ended up cutting it in half with a carbide tip on a die grinder. I guess if you had all the specialty tools it might not be a bad job, but with a farm shop toolbox we finally got it done a little after 9 o clock.

i admire all of you auto, tractor, whatever it is, i try and cobble and get by - i cant do the complicated/big jobs just dont have the knowledge/tool - thanks for all that you do, it totally amazes me the knowledge you have to have to do all of this stuff 

? There is another way............. ? no not to take it to somebody. ? Just get a triple jointed Chinese kid like put it together going down the line.?

That was friend of mines favorite thing to say about parts you could not reach. For 10 or so years he worked for a guy specializing in buying import trucks for dismantling or repair to resell. So a lot of totaled but low mileage trucks.

Many of the "special" clamps that need special tools get me more than a little upset. But thank you to those of you that do it every day. As my bones don't bend so good ether.

25 minutes ago, searcyfarms said:

i admire all of you auto, tractor, whatever it is, i try and cobble and get by - i cant do the complicated/big jobs just dont have the knowledge/tool - thanks for all that you do, it totally amazes me the knowledge you have to have to do all of this stuff 

X2 

41 minutes ago, stronger800 said:

Security bits......I know I bought a set in 1993, so, they are not really new, but I have not ran into them on a vehicle. I’m not a mechanic though.  External torx though.....I’m not sure those  needed to be invented. (I know.... they have their place) 

Ya I've seen them but on things I'd never stick my nose in, but the gator cover for a jeep stick shift, don't know why.

6 hours ago, ihrondiesel said:

i have never tossed a tool thought i paid to much for that to happen, however at 5 o clock i did enjoy a dark rum or two.

Well said all, I would send out to anyone in northeast Ohio that can make a living on a pile of rust that shows up at the shop. Congratulations 

another thing I praise is a lot of these you can’t find a place to lift them on the rack to work on them. If you do they might fall on you while your under them once you get them up ,really no way to git them off the the road like pa. Inspections 

On 8/20/2020 at 1:17 PM, Tippmann98 said:

The parts stores around here carry all the specialty tools. You pay for the tool, take it home and use it, return it for a full refund. Can’t beat it 

That has bailed me out of a 9PM repair job on a car that needs to be on the road by 7AM the next morning before. 

On 8/20/2020 at 7:26 AM, hardtail said:

Was buying a car at dealership in 92 and in service bay and I see a new Nissan 300 whatever Z sitting with hood open and mechanic with catchers mitt hands and ask what do you do if that needs major work, he looks over and says think seriously about rolling you cabinet to the door and look for a new shop to work out of

There are few of those vintage 300ZXs in our club.  The twin turbo version will make street driveable 5 - 600 hp and are scary fast, but as you mentioned are a bear to work on.  The engine bay is really full.

I poke along in my '76 280 with a real simple straight six.  I can't keep up with those guys, but I don't care at all.  I've brought home enough of those little yellow or pink pieces of paper that I don't need to bring any more.

• Like 1