Getting to be time for a new sled.

Pretty much have my mind made up on a Ski Doo Grand Touring or Renegade with the 4 stroke 900 ACE turbo... I would consider a Yamaha Venture with the power steering, but the chassis seems outdated.

Been a Polaris guy my whole life, I would prefer to stick with them as I know the machines well and they're the closest dealer. However, I'm convinced a 4 stroke is the way to go for a long distance trail touring & my air-it-out ditch banging days are over. And Polaris doesn't build a high HP 4 stroke. When they did, it didn't have the best reputation and certainly wasn't the smooth refined engine I'm looking for. 

That said, looking for some real world experience with that 900 ACE, good, bad? How's the fuel mileage? How are people liking the G4 Rev chassis? Would I regret saving a bit and finding a used Venture? 

My planned riding is to develope into a high mileage per weekend, destination based model, something I haven't really ever done. I.E., My buddy's cabin is a 250 mile one way trip from my house. I want to make the trip without a trailer. I'm going to need the machine that I can pack a bag with a couple days clothes, ride 300 miles and not be ready for bed. 

My buddy has had an ace and was good. I wouldn’t be afraid of a 2 stroke the mileage they get now and low oil consumption would be great for long trips and lighter that 4 stroke. Polaris makes touring sled so I’d look into it. I run arctic cat 800 and like that it’s fairly light. 

Got a 68 and 70 panther, I assume this is higher performance?

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Cattech said:

And Polaris doesn't build a high HP 4 stroke.

Polaris doesn't put their 1000cc turbo RZR motor in a sled?

Last sled I had was a Skidoo 9500 blizzard plus ('70's vintage?) which I think was rated at 105hp so you know how long I've been out of the game.😪

RZR XP Turbo S Velocity

Starting at $22,499 US MSRP. With a 72” stance, 168 HP and 32” tires, devours whoops, dunes and desert like no other. WIDTH. 72" HP. 

Edit: I reread your post, they did but you were unhappy with it. Sorry.................

3 hours ago, Cattech said:

Pretty much have my mind made up on a Ski Doo Grand Touring or Renegade with the 4 stroke 900 ACE turbo... I would consider a Yamaha Venture with the power steering, but the chassis seems outdated.

Been a Polaris guy my whole life, I would prefer to stick with them as I know the machines well and they're the closest dealer. However, I'm convinced a 4 stroke is the way to go for a long distance trail touring & my air-it-out ditch banging days are over. And Polaris doesn't build a high HP 4 stroke. When they did, it didn't have the best reputation and certainly wasn't the smooth refined engine I'm looking for. 

That said, looking for some real world experience with that 900 ACE, good, bad? How's the fuel mileage? How are people liking the G4 Rev chassis? Would I regret saving a bit and finding a used Venture? 

My planned riding is to develope into a high mileage per weekend, destination based model, something I haven't really ever done. I.E., My buddy's cabin is a 250 mile one way trip from my house. I want to make the trip without a trailer. I'm going to need the machine that I can pack a bag with a couple days clothes, ride 300 miles and not be ready for bed. 

Go to Alaskan Outdoors forums, they can give you all the information you need. Freighting, trapping, hauling supplies, depending on their sleds to stay alive. Quite a following for the ace and others.

2 hours ago, sandhiller said:

RZR powerplant would make a sweet 4 stroke sled, but unfortunately Polaris doesn't build that one yet.

I just can't do an Arctic Cat, I'm sure they're fine these days and I even have a decent dealer nearby, but... sorry. to long a stretch for a Polaris guy. 

2-stroke, I know they have come light yrs ahead with direct injection EFI etc, in most every way the 2 stroke has some advantages. I've ridden a couple E-tech Skidoo's their owners love the clean, light, reliable power. But one thing they didn't do is make them quiet. I want a machine where basically all you hear is the howl of the track and the swish of the skis. I was on a rental Yamaha 4 stroke like that several yrs ago and it was a pleasant experience. Oh, gotta have a heated seat too.

I will check out Alaskan Outdoors, as you say, they live on their sleds up that way.

3 hours ago, sandhiller said:

Last sled I had was a Skidoo 9500 blizzard plus ('70's vintage?) which I think was rated at 105hp so you know how long I've been out of the game.😪

RZR XP Turbo S Velocity

Starting at $22,499 US MSRP. With a 72” stance, 168 HP and 32” tires, devours whoops, dunes and desert like no other. WIDTH. 72" HP. 

Edit: I reread your post, they did but you were unhappy with it. Sorry.................

I think those old blizzards were supposed to match the hp of the model

7500 75hp.....

That would have been on a very good day but still very impressive performance for a 340

My buddy had the 9500 and it would eat a drive belt a day for a full days fun

Loved the snopro era racers, hard to bear that sound

I considered a ace 900 turbo last winter but there’s been very few of them sold around here. People seem to be happy with them from what I’ve heard.  Im still leaning towards a Yamaha sidewinder but haven’t found the right one for the right price. New is pretty much out for me. I don’t want to spend over 20,000 on a snowmobile.  Almost had one bought last winter but I found issues with it so I backed out. 

IT'S interesting that I don't understand anything a'll are talking about. I have never touched a snowmobile. Thx-Ace 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
6 hours ago, hardtail said:

I think those old blizzards were supposed to match the hp of the model

7500 75hp.....

That would have been on a very good day but still very impressive performance for a 340

My buddy had the 9500 and it would eat a drive belt a day for a full days fun

Loved the snopro era racers, hard to bear that sound

Was pretty sure the "plus" bumped it to 105 but been a long time ago, won't argue.

It was the fastest brick in Holt co the two years I owned it as long as you were on hard pack, ice or hay meadow.

It was a heavy no suspension pig with a narrow track that didn't like the deep soft stuff. Spent a lot of time getting it unstuck.

It might have been Sand think they had a 9700 at the end too, was a long time ago, small engines good design but pushed pretty hard, then they started with bigger engines not taxed as much and stuff was less maintenance and parts, my buddy still has some of that stuff and jokes 3 hrs wrenchin for every one hr riding, he has a 90 Mach Z 670 and what a total heavy lumbering pig that thing is until you hit a lake bed and nothing will touch it, his 7500 shift your butt in the seat and sled is carving a new line

New machines light years different I would think AK Welder, PFL and others can help with the newer stuff.

My various sleds over the last 30 yrs. Most are internet pictures, I was never much into taking pictures of my stuff. A couple of these I have had more than one.

1094478100_Allsledsowned.thumb.png.d131764dc736ed7cbc4d897763aa5c50.png

1 hour ago, Cattech said:

My various sleds over the last 30 yrs. Most are internet pictures, I was never much into taking pictures of my stuff. A couple of these I have had more than one.

1094478100_Allsledsowned.thumb.png.d131764dc736ed7cbc4d897763aa5c50.png

WHAAAAAAT,  no John Deere ? 

image.png.78fd21b37a42517388f183d7c8997db6.png

3 hours ago, searcyfarms said:

WHAAAAAAT,  no John Deere ? 

image.png.78fd21b37a42517388f183d7c8997db6.png

3rd from bottom on left... IIRC '84 Trailfire, 440 fan. Picked it up for free, got it running, ripped it around a month or so & sold it for $500.

We have a pair of skandics with the 900 ace at work. We really haven't put that many miles on them yet, but they sure ride smooth and are very quiet. It does take some getting used to the throttle lag. The 3 different modes are kinda nice depending on how you want to ride. A neighbour has a renegade 900 ace but it is the XS? chassis yet. Been very happy with it as far as I know. Very quiet and I think he can put about 150 miles on a tank of gas, but I don't know for sure about that. Might even be more. I think the 900 turbo would be a sweet machine. The majority of the riders around here run etecs. The 600 etec with a stock can is relatively quiet. They really don't make much noise. I would really look at a new 600R etec in the gen4 chassis for a new renegade. Very nice crossover sled. I can put over 100 miles on a tank of gas if I ride my 600 etec summit sensibly. But normally it is more like 60 lol

As far as 4 strokes, Yamaha definitely has the market here. Where doo is really nice is with all the linq attachments. So many different cargo and fuel options. Very very slick

Here the jury is still out on the 900 ACE,  mainly due to the 600 ACE I think. None of my riding buddies bought one yet.  People are not against it, but they are not bragging yet.   Mainly because the 600 ETEC is the queen of the ball, that engine is hands down the best, most reliable, bullet proof sled motor here. Heck they even race the iron dog with it.  The trappers sleds (Skandic and such) are a big hit with the ETEC.  My buddies Tundra just went over 8000 miles, and has not had any real issues. 

I do see they are moving forward with the 900, so time will tell.  And just as another thought.  Check out the expeditions, slick sleds, with some spunk. Think a summit scored with a tundra. But we have deeper snow and hills

where would you go for Ski Doo dealer?  Warranty is important