reloading equipment question

Many years when I was a real shooter I had a buddy that was a gun smith. If I provided the materials he would make up all the ammo required for free. At the time I was doing a lot of shooting with  a .338 Mag.  For casual use he liked RCBS, somewhere around here I should still have an RCBS  resizing die for the .338.  Today I  occasionally still shoot  a .458 Mag, but only over the counter loading, I am too old for the hot stuff.

Well, I studied and agonized, finally decided that the big seller for the hornady was the powder scale, but  i would ultimately like a bigger fancier one, so I probably would want to upgrade anyway and the beam scale will be fine. Also I get good pricing on RCBS accessories so that is a bonus. So I bought the master kit single stage, from what I gather I will still want the single stage press even if I go to a progressive to leave setup for specific stuff, doesn’t seem like wasted money. 

• Like 1

I have rock chuck, don’t use it much , I’m to fussy loading , want everything one loading with zero standard deviations.

I have a Dillon 550b reloader also just love it never fails me I can load 7 rounds of 357 in a minute 9 mm 380 40 45 ACP 357 38 specials. Always wanted to get a powdered funnel to set up on each Calibre so I would never have to just it but never got that far.

3 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

Well, I studied and agonized, finally decided that the big seller for the hornady was the powder scale, but  i would ultimately like a bigger fancier one, so I probably would want to upgrade anyway and the beam scale will be fine. Also I get good pricing on RCBS accessories so that is a bonus. So I bought the master kit single stage, from what I gather I will still want the single stage press even if I go to a progressive to leave setup for specific stuff, doesn’t seem like wasted money. 

Good call. Is that still the little 505 scale? Mine has been perfect. The one thing I bought myself that I used on all larger stick powders was a Lee powder dipper set. It comes with a slide chart for selecting powder. Once you get the hang of it you can get real close every charge. I then tapped it like a trickler to top off the charge. I'm telling you just order one. Longer stick powders dont meter very well anyway in my experience. 

I will just say one thing. Use your loading block, flip the cartridges after every step, and once you fill them all I would shine a flashlight in the bottle necks to make sure they were even. Double charges in rifles are hard to do due to volume, pistols are a different story. I have caught no charge before by double checking myself. Start off with one round, write down all your loads, and have fun. Double triple check everything. Newbie loaders are generally better than veterans because we tend to overlook things (little things) 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2x above.......and....with anything,  but especially reloads,  if it sounds or feels wrong at the range STOP IMMEDIATELY and see what's up....even if it means weighing every remaining round in that batch.

• Thanks 1

I love those Lee dippers.   H1000 each piece of powder seems heavy but I can get pretty close with the dipper and then drop just a couple grains till I get it perfect.

• Like 1

Bought all RCBS  in 1970. Never a problem, everything works flawlessly. 10 calibres, rifle and pistol.

• Like 1

Can you load shot gun ammo on a rock chucker? 

No, you need a MEC or Posness/Warren shotgun shell loader for that.  MEC is more reasonably priced.  I have a MEC Grabber in 12 gauge that has treated me very well and has loaded thousands of shells.  It resizes the brass as it reloads the shell.  I prefer Winchester and some Remington hulls for reloading.

Just some reloading eye candy.  

43048492_gunfactoryreload.gif.91b0ccd85a0536e4a555366d25083e39.gif

I have a mix of Lyman, Lee, Redding, RCBS, can't say any of em have not performed as expected. 

I went to the Lee Auto Prime to install primers.

Seems easier than the RCBS mounted on the press.

I can watch TV and do this in my chair

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Diesel Doctor said:

I went to the Lee Auto Prime to install primers.

I will only use an auto prime. You can figure depth on the first couple and feel it if one doesn’t go right after that. 

My setup is a total mix-match....

Lyman press

Lee and Lyman powder dispensers (depending on powder used)

Dillon digital scale

RCBS trickler

Lyman Tumbler

mostly RCBS brushes, pads, and accessories. 

I guess I’m equal opportunity. I just use what works for me. I would like to have an RCBS charge dispenser but haven’t forked out the money yet.