reloading equipment question

i am once again thinking about reloading, i can get the RCBS supreme master kit for what seems a fair price on amazon. 

https://www.amazon.com/RCBS-9354-Supreme-Master-Kit/dp/B00T9YKW60

or i can

get the hornady classic deluxe kit for 399

https://www.hornady.com/reloading/presses/lock-n-load-classic#!/

i assume both are good quality, but would i be happier with one over the other in terms of usability or die availability?

anything else to look for? 

I just got back into it and bought a hornady lock and load AP progressive. 

had an RCBS Pardner press before. 

lock n load hornady bushings are very nice, and would sway me that direction. 

• Like 1

Hornady has never done me wrong.....but my RCBS stuff is good as well....have one of their scales, powder measure,  and some dies.

Hornady has a nice free bullet rebate program. 

20200702_193430.jpg

20200701_224716.jpg

What are you going to reload??

A single stage like the RCBS is great for starting out and for rifle calibers.

If ya need a gazillion pistol pounds then maybe a Dillon 750 is in order.

Let’s keep this thread going. Any reloading tips or tricks would be appreciated as well as must haves! I would assume that a reloaders Bible tops the list? I’m interested in this as well but I don’t shoot nearly enough to justify time or money, yet! 

41 minutes ago, kevinj said:

What are you going to reload??

A single stage like the RCBS is great for starting out and for rifle calibers.

If ya need a gazillion pistol pounds then maybe a Dillon 750 is in order.

Usually you can buy 9mm cheap enough but I would likely reload it load 9 and 45 for my personal carry, then rifle, I don’t have anything exotic but would be cool to do my own. Also ammo availability right now has me thinking it’s a good idea

Just now, vtfireman85 said:

Usually you can buy 9mm cheap enough but I would likely reload it load 9 and 45 for my personal carry, then rifle, I don’t have anything exotic but would be cool to do my own. Also ammo availability right now has me thinking it’s a good idea

Well then, I guess I would recommend the single stage setup.

I have had the RCBS rock chucker for over 35 years, press is as new and loaded many thousands of rounds.

RCBS has never once charged me for a repair part, even if I damaged it or wore it out.

I use a Dillon 650(now 750) for high volume pistol ammo.

• Like 2

I recommend a single stage iron press. The RCBS rock chuker is a classic.

With a single stage you learn the process and can make great rifle ammo.  It will reload pistol ammo as well  but many pistol shooters prefer the progressive for the volume.

Thx-Ace 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
1 hour ago, Ihfan4life said:

Let’s keep this thread going. Any reloading tips or tricks would be appreciated as well as must haves! I would assume that a reloaders Bible tops the list? I’m interested in this as well but I don’t shoot nearly enough to justify time or money, yet! 

Get yerself a Lyman, a Sierra, a Hornady and maybe a couple more manuals.

You will not find all loads in one place as they tend to use their powder & their bullets......

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

In single stage presses I have a Lee and a RCBS rock chucker, both have loaded a lot of rounds, both pistols and rifles, I have had the Lee since the 80's.  For volume I have a Dillon, very hard to beat them.  I would suggest a book or two and then make a plan, prior to purchasing.  I would also suggest starting with one caliber and mastering it before branching out to much.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I recently switched from RCBS Rock Chucker to a Forster Co-Ax. Been using Forster dies for years so decided to try out a Co-Ax press- I’ve been well impressed. I only load rifle ammo so don’t really know what pistol accessories would be needed. 

• Like 1

My RCBS RockChucker is 41 years old this year.

a great unit for forming brass [ 30/30 formed into 30 /357 Herrett,,32/40 ].

get to know the process of reloading on a single stage press for safty .

had a friend blow up his 1911 in 38 super. on the fireing line. [squib load from a progressive press].

ended up with the top 1/2 of the gun tore off.

no one hurt but it shook up the other shooters on the line.

Mike

• Sad 2

To me it's just like buying a gun all the big names make good products it's all person preference unless like plow mentioned the lock n load is a big game changer, I haven't reloaded in a long time but I used Lee's similar version of the lock n load and a turret press it, a single is nice for long action rifle but I mainly used it for sizing and de priming and the turret for everything else. 

• Like 1

I bought almost all my stuff used from a local gun dealer maybe 15 years ago shortly after I graduated college. Press is a Lyman rock crusher and everything else is a mix match of what I like or works well for me. I don’t do large volumes, mostly rifle rounds with a few pistol rounds for fun once in a while. I’ve got dies from Lee, Hornady, RCBS, Forster, Lyman, Redding, and Dillon for sure. Lee makes a good manual that encompasses a lot. Otherwise, I use the Sierra manual a lot because I like their bullets. Some calibers are easier to buy for and some you can’t buy and have to load for.  I would buy a Dillon press if I was to get a new one that you could set up each die in and just move that over your hole when doing that step. ThatS just my opinion though. I’m not talking a full progressive setup. A buddy has the huge Dillon and said he can do 400rds of 9mm in an hour. The silly thing has lights on it.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I am mostly an RCBS guy. I do have a Lee aluminum single stage press that I take to the range with me and it seems to work okay. I like the RCBS competition dies with the micrometer bullet seating. I'm getting ready to get back into reloading after a 15 year hiatus, since I just bought a Lee-Enfield and need to load some 303 brass. I think I'm going to get a set of Lee dies for this along with the Lee collet neck sizer since the chambers of these rifles tend to be large. I currently have dyes for 9 mm, 357, 45 ACP, 30 carbine, 223, 243, 270, 30 06 and 357 herrett. Believe it or not I started handloading my first year in high school with the 357 herrett, which is a Thompson Contender Wildcat based on at a 3030 cartridge. I also loaded thousands of rounds of 12-gauge for Sporting Clays.

You can spend a lot of money on fancy presses, but I would recommend something like a RCBS Rock chucker. It is reasonably priced and has withstood the test of time. There are lots of other good presses out there, but I could never justify spending the extra money on them. If you know what you're doing most any of the presses will get the job done. If you're just starting out definitely get a single stage. Progressive tend to amplify mistakes.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Actually Lee makes the "lee loader" that lets you reload without a press, etc. It is a little kit that reloads your brass using a hammer and other stuff. It's simple and works great if you have one bolt action rifle,  it only neck sizes.

A friend has used one for 40 plus years. He hunts alot but dosen't recreationally shoot. It fits his needs well since he goes through about 20 rounds a year in one rifle caliber.

download.jpeg

• Like 3
25 minutes ago, acem said:

Actually Lee makes the "lee loader" that lets you reload without a press, etc. It is a little kit that reloads your brass using a hammer and other stuff. It's simple and works great if you have one bolt action rifle,  it only neck sizes.

A friend has used one for 40 plus years. He hunts alot but dosen't recreationally shoot. It fits his needs well since he goes through about 20 rounds a year in one rifle caliber.

download.jpeg

I have one of those dad bought years ago, neither of us have used it, and neither of us know how, some other lee stuff, but it’s old and incomplete and no dies so it’s of little value. 

One thing I like about the Hornady Lock N Load AP I just picked up (or any basic progressive)......you can use it like a single stage, or to do some/all of the steps in sequence but you only load the case in the plate once.

I can decap pistol ammo very quickly before cleaning in the progressive...slip in the case, pull the handle, slip in the case.....auto eject is slick.  it's amazing how much more relaxing the process is when you are not handling everything 2x.

You can also decap/resize, prime, and flare a batch, then set up to charge, seat, and crimp....lets you semi automate but also focus on the task at hand if you want more precise control.  Slower than full progressive, but allows for more quality control check time too.

Or just do one step at a time....lots of options.

• Like 2

Have used a dillon 550b for 25 years, never double loaded any reloads,..38, both 148 and 158 grain,.45, and 9mm, got a rock crusher for 44/40 and 30.06. Still have 10,000 small pistol primers and 15 pounds of powder to use up, probably go in my will. Reloading is almost as headclearing as shooting.

Lucky you with small pistol primers.......they are impossible to get around here.....small rifle right behind them......big scare has everyone hoarding 9mm and 5.56 supplies.

Anybody else have the same issue?

50 minutes ago, Mr. Plow said:

Lucky you with small pistol primers.......they are impossible to get around here.....small rifle right behind them......big scare has everyone hoarding 9mm and 5.56 supplies.

Anybody else have the same issue?

I haven't looked for quite awhile but I'm going to cabelas in the next couple days I'll see if it happens up here.

I've been reloading since 1963 and use single stage press made by Herters, also use many Lyman tools. Have a good powder measure scale to double check your measure. I check often just to be sure especially when using powders that don't fill the case. I also cast my own lead and have not shot jacketed bullets for years. There is a good site called Cast Boolits look them up, lots of good topics.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Dasnake said:

Have used a dillon 550b for 25 years, never double loaded any reloads,..38, both 148 and 158 grain,.45, and 9mm, got a rock crusher for 44/40 and 30.06. Still have 10,000 small pistol primers and 15 pounds of powder to use up, probably go in my will. Reloading is almost as headclearing as shooting.

Love my Dillon 550B as well.  I haven't ever loaded pistol on it, and I've only ever used it as a true progressive on .223. 

I do use it to single load .338 Lapua, .300WM,  .308, and will for my 6.5 creed if I ever get around too it.   

So don't be afraid to buy a progressive even if you plan to single load. 

• Like 2
18 hours ago, highcotton said:

I recently switched from RCBS Rock Chucker to a Forster Co-Ax. Been using Forster dies for years so decided to try out a Co-Ax press- I’ve been well impressed. I only load rifle ammo so don’t really know what pistol accessories would be needed. 

I have a co-ax also and use it for a lot of precision rifle ammo.

If ya want power to form brass and resize the tough ones get the chucker.

The co-ax also had easy die changes but you need their special die nuts, unless you have bonanza dies which are great.