Plymouth Tractors

Other than the information on the web, which I've read, what can you all tell me about Plymouth tractors? I am toying with buying a restoration candidate. Mostly, I want to know if they're a lot of standard parts.

Weren’t they similar to a wards? Chrysler industrial engine and a freestanding frame? Be cool and unusual. If they are, those things were beasts. Figure an M size tractor with a 100+hp engine! 

YouTube  has a Video Linked to "My Classic Tractor" About "Silver Kings"  The story is about the "Plymouth Tractor" built in Plymouth Ohio and the "Chrysler Corporation" won a lawsuit,  Making the Company to change there name to "Silver King".

We have Relatives with "Plymouth & Silver King tractors"  They are members of the "Silver King Tractor Club" 

The Silver King newsletter has a Classified Parts section with many tractors for sale.  Also Continental engine parts.

Purchase the tractor,  Have fun with it!!

Jim Droscha 

• Like 1

Silver King , could not use Plymouth name ,lawsuit 

1 hour ago, DroschaFamilyDairy said:

YouTube  has a Video Linked to "My Classic Tractor" About "Silver Kings"  The story is about the "Plymouth Tractor" built in Plymouth Ohio and the "Chrysler Corporation" won a lawsuit,  Making the Company to change there name to "Silver King".

We have Relatives with "Plymouth & Silver King tractors"  They are members of the "Silver King Tractor Club" 

The Silver King newsletter has a Classified Parts section with many tractors for sale.  Also Continental engine parts.

Jim Droscha 

The ones I've been able to read about, have had continental engines. Were they all Continentals. I don't know what engine is in this one in going to look at.

Do NOT buy the tractor, but instead tell ME privately where it is so that I can go buy it!!!

Come on man, you cannot tease is like that without pictures!!

Of course you should go buy it!!!!  We will all be chagrined if you do not!

Should you decide not to buy it I would certainly be interested in it!!

29 minutes ago, 1586 Jeff said:

Do NOT buy the tractor, but instead tell ME privately where it is so that I can go buy it!!!

Come on man, you cannot tease is like that without pictures!!

Of course you should go buy it!!!!  We will all be chagrined if you do not!

Should you decide not to buy it I would certainly be interested in it!!

I actually don't have a picture of it yet. Going to look at it this week.

And NO! everyone finds sweet private deals on tractors except me. I always have to pay classified ad price! 😄

I have read in most information that I can find, about them having Continental engines. Does anyone know if they were all Continentals? If so, engine parts might not be a TOTAL nightmare...

I just saw one that Aumann auctioned with a Hercules. So there's at least two engines they used, that were used in other applications. Either way, it doesn't sound like a house-made engine.

I'll update when I get a picture and/or more info.

Does anyone know how to tell for absolute certain that it's a Plymouth and not a Silver King, other than the embossed grille?

• Like 1

Hercules is probably right. Plymouth Ohio isn’t far from Akron /Canton where Hercules were built.

• Like 1

Back in the days when my great grandparents owned our farm and we had the 15-30 on the farm there was also a 3 wheeled Silver King that had the chain in the steering and that one had a Hercules engine in it.

• Like 1

First several years they used Hercules engines even into the Silver King name change. Then around 1940-41 if I remember correctly they started with Continental engines in the three wheeled models then later in 41 also in the 4 wheeled models. 

• Thanks 1
7 hours ago, DroschaFamilyDairy said:

Jim Droscha 

Chrystler lost that court case and was forced to buy the brandname to use Plymouth name. 

• Like 1