Reckon this guy messed himself

11 minutes ago, MTO said:

somebody spray painted a zero after the 8 on the weight limit sign.

Not his fault.

It was only a 5 ton limit though. Bridge passed inspection last month I believe. I still can't figure out how gps routed him to come into town from that direction. Nothing but gravel county roads that direction. Bridge was built in 1893 I believe and it only took one idiot to destroy it in 2020.

• Sad 1
4 minutes ago, Sledgehammer said:

And that’s why you never believe a GPS 100% when it tells you where to turn. 

For sure I followed a short cut the GPS gave me it was on some gravel roads in the north woods I came across a bridge I won't take a side by side over.   

31 minutes ago, MTO said:

I can just hear the call from his company to insurance company...

It's not as bad as you think.  They'll pro rate the bridge out so it'll basically be just the truck and trailer value.

1 hour ago, red2thebone sr said:

I’d say he messed himself at least twice. Once on the way down and again at the sudden stop. 

First you say it then you do it. 

• Haha 2

I never had a situation come up with a low weight rated bridge when I was driving semi, never got that far off the beaten path, I did get into residential areas a couple times visiting a couple college buddies in Chicago suburbs, have to worry about low hanging power and cable TV lines.

Did have a moment of deep thought one afternoon in my 3/4ths loaded readymix truck,  right around 40,000-45,000#, and bridge sign said something about 5 ton weight limit. I backed up a quarter mile and drove around on the State route that took me 6-8 miles out of the way. But better than having to swim to shore.

Just like they have special maps and atlases with low over passes and low weight rated bridges hilited, they have special GPS's that direct truck drivers around those hazards.

Livestock hauler Dad drove the most for had a 42 ft livestock trailer that the previous owner hauled a load of clay field tile and tried to get over a weak bridge. The steering axle was almost on solid ground on far side of bridge, back tandem axle was right at the edge of the pavement leading onto the bridge, the drive axles of the tractor were in the creek. Somehow they winched tractor & trailer out and guy Dad drove for pulled the trailer for years.

That was far less common before gps. All you had to do was read a map and follow directions and a road atlas for truckers would tell you what roads were not for you. I know they have gps for trucks but you can’t tell me they’re always accurate. I still don’t use gps except for looking at it on my phone for distance. **** rookies

2 minutes ago, Missouri Mule said:

What an idiot. Even If he was empty he probably weighed 25k plus. My guess is he probably ignored a few signs and thought oh it should be fine. ?

Where abouts is that? I see osage county 

Just east of Westphalia crossing the Maries River.

That bridge hunter  web-sight  is cool.  There as a dirt road that passed over the hill behind our dairy barn, 100 years ago. I believe it has been closed since the 60’s.   The trees are 50’ tall and 2’ across in it now ( the hedgerows on each side basically grew together) but we do have a two track rutted tractor path located about 50’ to the one side. It’s a steep hill too.  Makes me nervous when a FedEx or UPS truck appears on the horizon and comes skating down the hill. One snuck up behind me and passed me a few years ago while I was raking in the outside row of hay. 

Hay.

Hay.

Hay. 

FedEx!!!!

Hay. 

5 hours ago, Pete1468 said:

It's not as bad as you think.  They'll pro rate the bridge out so it'll basically be just the truck and trailer value.

Voice of experience?

6 hours ago, yellowrosefarm said:

Bigger question is will they rebuild it?  A bridge near my brother went down in a very rural part of VA. VDOT doesn't consider it essential enough to replace so he has to drive 5 miles around every time he goes out

I would guess they won't rebuild it. It's not very far around. Just southeast of town the highway crosses the river and that same county road meets the highway. I'm going to say way before highway 63 went through Westphalia that bridge was on the main road and the only route across the Maries River.

36 minutes ago, MTO said:

Voice of experience?

Twin to that problem happened here 20 years ago. Same style bridge only it was a large excavator that dropped the bridge in. It was an old bridge but was great for the people that lived by it, now they have to drive around 3 1/2 miles to get on a highway.  Companies insurance said the life expectancy of the bridge was up so the county only got a couple thousand.

When I retired we bought a 37' 5th wheel, we planned 4 months maybe 5 months going east, had the truck and fiver but very little info, started asking around and found out fivers and new york parkways do not mix.

So we bought a 9.5 foot camper, painted in reverse in my mirror is 12' 2" max height, right to the top of the A/C unit, we got to new york with no problems but going over one bridge going to the bronx I was at 2 mph waiting for any sounds that was how close it was.

Missouri exit to the firefighters memorial off 70 we went to nostalgiaville and a train bridge was reading 12'2", I slowed to take a look and a guy across from us saw me look and started waving me through, no problem but a couple of deep breaths. 

Guys like this are annoying because it doesn't take Einstein to figure your overweight on a 5 ton bridge.