Row crop cultivating tractor

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My grandad decided to go organic when I was in young.  I took a break from the family farm and worked for another organic farmer for a year.  Grandad had 250 acres all organic, and the other guy had a

J-mech, thanks for all the info. This is my 8th year being certified. I work for a larger farmer that helped me get started. They farm around 2,000 acres conventionally. I farm my organic on the side.

Ooooo... cultivating.    I still cultivate my corn...and put on sidedress at the same time.   I can tell you from experience that an 806 needs a full rack of weights to lift a 8 row Glencoe C sha

Posted Images

Father in law talks about cultivating in the morning and taking it off everyday to make hay in the afternoon. Repeat all summer long everyday till corn was too big to cultivate. This was on a 460D and  not sure what model ih cultivator. 

Towards the end of our farming days dad had a new noble rear mount on the D21.

Absolutely nothing wrong with an 856, but the 1066 will be easier to find a good one, simply because there are tons of them around. There is no such thing as too much power and some day maybe you will expand and be glad you have a little bigger tractor.

I was discussing this very topic with a customer @ work the other day, he said he had an IH 12 row front-mount cultivator that he was keeping his eyes open for another tractor to mount it too, since he felt it'd be too much for his 856.  He mentioned he'd like to find a 1256 or 1456 for the cultivator, he said in his experience it is so much easier to look around the goods of an 06/56 series than it is a 66 series.

I would think 2+2 would be the worst of both worlds...the terrible visibility of the 86 style cab...and the big nose in the way out the front.   Maybe on a 16row cultivator??   Of course with that long a nose...just keep it pointed in between the rows at the front end and its probably on the row!

I did have to laugh.... that there are so many comments about how much better visibility is on the 06-56 series, even though the hoods are literally only an inch or so narrower on each side..while the "couple inches smaller" dimensions on the smaller frame tractors is dismissed as irrelevant.....  (Don't mean to make fun of anybody, just found the two comments side by side amusing!)   I do admit that my 666 feels and handles "smaller" than the 806, which felt and handled "smaller" than the 1066.   The 10 & 14 felt pretty much the same...except you couldn't see out of the 1486.   (We tried the 1486 on the loader, once.   Cultivated with it, once.     Went back to the 1066 for both. )   Yet the tractors are not all that different in size.

I admit to being less loyal...I now use a JD 7410 and love it for cultivating.

I farmed organically about 20 years ago. Not anymore.

I planted my row crops on beds, mostly soybeans. I ran a rotary hoe a couple times. Then I used a lilliston rolling cultivator. If you set the rolling cultivator up properly on good beds it follows the row on it's own. If your tractor has a single front wheel, narrow front, it will even auto steer. 

You don't really need a bigger tractor for cultivating.

Thx-Ace