Mobile Seed Cleaning Unit

My brother and cousins had some rye for cover crops that they needed cleaned. Local elevator not too interested in doing it because they are concerned about the possibility of contaminating seed wheat with rye. 
Brother found a guy that does mobile seed cleaning. I just thought it was a really neat set up. 
He salvaged a 1975 wooden Clipper fanning mill and mounted it on a trailer. Totally self contained and can also treat seed. 9DD5D667-F5DC-4632-85F1-4A00E9CD25B7.thumb.jpeg.ac248306eaacd77d4053743e1a7e9e5e.jpeg30000CFC-4899-42F8-BFA9-BBE62B54F088.thumb.jpeg.d147da0504f79cfd099359905dd8f10d.jpeg5C84BB42-D37D-43E0-AE61-B4221452C8D0.thumb.jpeg.163cad6eba8d3ea16018b5df79bc8492.jpeg

• Like 3

We actually have a old clipper fan unit that was actually fitted with a electric motor to run it that we clean wheat for seed with. It has all the screens with it still. Does a good job, just not fast as its its smaller and older than that one is.

That is an interesting setup, thanks for the pictures.  I used to work with a gentleman in SD, Cotton seed service I believe, who had a similar setup.  We had a dealer who would grow seed beans and then they would clean and bag them for his own use.

There's starting to be a demand for mobile cleaning up here. SMS manufacturing makes some pretty neat units, some with self contained offices etc. that are pulled by a semi. I think it would beat the heck out of having to haul into an elevator or seed plant to get it cleaned

http://www.smsmanufacturing.ca/mobilegraincleaners.html

We have a clipper fan mill similar to that one in an elevator.  I think the elevator was built around it as the only way to get it out is to knock out a wall.

1 hour ago, IH766 said:

There's starting to be a demand for mobile cleaning up here. SMS manufacturing makes some pretty neat units, some with self contained offices etc. that are pulled by a semi. I think it would beat the heck out of having to haul into an elevator or seed plant to get it cleaned

http://www.smsmanufacturing.ca/mobilegraincleaners.html

Mobile cleaning units are nothing new around here.  Up till we got our own cleaner we’ve been having the same guy do ours for 20+ plus years.

33 minutes ago, Big Bud guy said:

Mobile cleaning units are nothing new around here.  Up till we got our own cleaner we’ve been having the same guy do ours for 20+ plus years.

There's two around here, but the one is semi-mobile. He sets it up in an area and has farmers haul to him. The other unit has a color sorter as well, and they go straight to your yard to clean. They travel quite a bit too, but don't do much business locally it seems

Thanks for the photos, they look great!  Your photography skills continue to improve.  😉

Mobile seed cleaning; you learn something new every day. 

We have a guy here that has about the same setup. Not sure what brand of cleaner, but the whole trailer and cleaner is painted blue. He pulls it with a box truck with a generator that runs multiple augers and the seed treatment sprayer system.

The guy that did that around here was run out of business I think.  Patent infringement laws and Monsatan’s black SUV squads.  

There is a reason your elevator is not keen on cleaning rye.  We used to be in the Michigan Certified Seed Business.  Zero tolerance for  rye in wheat seed.  Estimated time to clean the system if contaminated  was at least ten hours.  Pretty hard to clear enough cleaning anyone else s seed to justify the labor and downtime  involved in cleaning the mill.  Used to guarantee my  seed rye free.  Would offer to pull it out of wheat. Had one farmer complain.  Took only a few minutes to determine that it was not in the rows with the wheat I sold him.  Suggested he contact his fertilizer company and find out who used the spreader to sew rye. cab

The mobile seed cleaning was around before WW2 out here. Had a Grain Improvement Association that was a off shoot of Farm Bureau. It has all gone away with the few old guys dying off and the wine grapes pushing everything else out. They put a newer rig together early 80's. The last guy running it died about 2012,and ended a part history here.

Also more patented oats,wheat,and barley that you cannot save as in the old days. Farmers saved  your own seed from the beginnings of time. But that was before big brother was here to help us.

5 hours ago, ray54 said:

Also more patented oats,wheat,and barley that you cannot save as in the old days. Farmers saved  your own seed from the beginnings of time. But that was before big brother was here to help us.

You said it right there. Growing up dad and Grandpa always saved seed. Wheat and beans. Had 2 flatbeds. Both had a partition in the center if you wanted to save two different varieties of soybean's for example on the same wagon  I brought a flatbed to the field for dad many times to save seed. He'd say these beans are doing well I think I'll save some for seed, you want to get the wagon. When they cleaned them they had a lift like us older guys remember lol, take the tailgate out and keep raising it slowly. Just thinking about this, my how things have changed in the last 30 year's. Even now any mention of saving seed wheat the seed guys dont like to hear. Less money for them.

I can just barely remember a mobile feed grinding service that used to come and grind cow feed (chop as dad called it). They had the feed grinder/mixer on one truck and another box truck with all the supplements in it. The grinder/mixer truck got hit by a train one day and that ended the on farm service. That must have been in the mid 1950's. Seems like 100 years ago.😵

That fellow lives ten miles from us. He cleaned our rye last week and yes monsatan does pay people to follow these guys around. Our county had the most farmers getting caught cleaning gmo beans ten or so years ago, what a friendly company.

• Like 1