Paper Wasp Removal Help Needed

My mom has a paper wasp nest in a bush next to one of her walking trails.  They stung the heck out of my dog today and it's time for them to go.    They are less than 5 feet off the ground so pretty easy to get at.  How do you get rid of them?

They are less active early in the morning when it is cool, so spray them and their nest with most any wasp and hornet killer.  I like the kind that will spray up to 20 ft.  Spray and then run like heck.  I hate them with a passion.  Good luck.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
39 minutes ago, Scott! said:

My mom has a paper wasp nest in a bush next to one of her walking trails.  They stung the heck out of my dog today and it's time for them to go.    They are less than 5 feet off the ground so pretty easy to get at.  How do you get rid of them?

Disclaimer (smart-a** answer) 

could you get a garbage bag around it? Get the bag sealed up, drop in a box, and mail to Mark @MTO. He seems to like critters around his home. I think he’s a regular Dr. Doolittle!

But seriously, hit it with wasp spray in the early morning before they become active. 

• Haha 2

I used to have quite a few bumble bees like to visit my shop. Went to the local Vet and got some "scrw worm spray for sheep." You could hit them wasps in flight and they would drop just like you had tied a rock to them. For some reason i have no bumble bees anymore and sure don't miss them. You might try this method also

• Thanks 1

The wasp killer works well.  I have also used a particular petroleum (both gas and diesel) product and it drops them in their flight pattern.  When I was a kid at the farm in Western Kansas, great fun.  Hit the nest with a broom stick and spray the nasty little flyers with the gas and watch them drop.  Got stung a time or two, but never deterred me from the fun.  Back in the day, gas was more plentiful around the farm than wasp spray.

• Thanks 1

bee killer is great stuff.

late night or early morning they are super drowsy and mostly all at home. Empty a whole can on the nest. Next day, clip it down out of the bush.

If you're worried about the bush and spray, there are cool videos on youtube of folks using a shop vac with a concoction of dish soap and water (and bleach?), where they suck them all out of the nest opening with the shop vac and they die inside, then they can remove the nest by hand

• Thanks 1

I like to torch them when I can, otherwise raid wasp and hornet spray just at daylight 

• Thanks 1

Apparently it's a firefighter thing.  My first thought was weed burner torch after dark.  Light that baby on fire and burn them alive!

Google says you can't get wasp spray into the paper wasp nest.  It only works well on the ones with the comb things not the giant ball thing.

1 hour ago, Ihfan4life said:

could you get a garbage bag around it? Get the bag sealed up, drop in a box, and mail to Mark @MTO. He seems to like critters around his home. I think he’s a regular Dr. Doolittle!

I love this idea, but MTO is a busy man! You might get better mileage by addressing it to a Ms. N. Pelosi, I believe she has an office in Washington D. C.?

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Forget those suggestions from our friends on the board here. They mean well to help but.... Here is the best way to do away with your wasp problem.

Guaranteed results.

Go big or go home.

• Haha 3

I use brakecleen or electric contact cleaner. It knocks them down pretty good. No matter what you use remove or destroy the nest. If you don't, any that are gone or that escape will be back. If this is the ball shaped nest, those are Hornets. They can be be more aggressive than a standard paper wasp. If you can get close to the opening and then soak the inside with the spray that would be best. Good luck. 

• Thanks 1

In a tree or bush I would douse it with something flamma let light the bottom on fire and burn it.  A bee suit will help or do it after dark.

• Thanks 1
5 hours ago, KWRB said:

bee killer is great stuff.

late night or early morning they are super drowsy and mostly all at home. Empty a whole can on the nest. Next day, clip it down out of the bush.

If you're worried about the bush and spray, there are cool videos on youtube of folks using a shop vac with a concoction of dish soap and water (and bleach?), where they suck them all out of the nest opening with the shop vac and they die inside, then they can remove the nest by hand

Correct me if I am wrong however I was under the impression the wasp/bee killer insecticide also killed the larvae.  As a general rule, after the adults were killed, I knocked down the nest and just stomped on it.

• Thanks 1

Be been using a foaming spray from Bonide. Great product. Foams on contact so wasps can’t fly and attack. Took out a basketball sized hornets nest with same product. 

Ok, here’s the step by step tutorial with pictures. This is my dad and brother 

6E43F19D-DAD8-4B65-A17C-156509B2908D.jpeg

8E7D7D28-EDCB-438B-8466-00D33E543BE2.jpeg

• Like 1
4 hours ago, ihrondiesel said:

FULL can of hairspray and a Zippo!

I wad going to suggest that as well. Just about any aerosol product and a LOT of caution and common sense can make an effective bee and wasp killer when nothing else is available. 

I was successful with the foaming stuff after dark. Filled the opening in the bottom and when it wouldn't take any more I soaked the whole ball with it. Foam kept any that woke up from coming out. Used the entire can on it. Next morning, all quiet, none in evidence.

I wouldn't recommend doing it in the daytime except just at the first light. Any who are outside the nest will be angry.

19 minutes ago, New Englander said:

I was successful with the foaming stuff after dark. Filled the opening in the bottom and when it wouldn't take any more I soaked the whole ball with it. Foam kept any that woke up from coming out. Used the entire can on it. Next morning, all quiet, none in evidence.

I wouldn't recommend doing it in the daytime except just at the first light. Any who are outside the nest will be angry.

Eff them if they can’t take a joke 

• Haha 2

It sounds like what you have is hornets and not wasp. Is the nest a grey ball shape ? If so it is probably Bald Faced Hornets. Hornets nests are usually found in trees and shrubbery attached to branches and small limbs. Hornets can be ill tempered. If nest is only  a " honeycomb" looking thing about two or three inches in diameter then they are true paper wasps , either yellow or red in color.  Paper wasp nests are usually found in buildings up under the eaves or rafters. Wasp and hornet killer in aerosol cans will do the job for you.  Go out after dark , use a flashlight to see with and get close as possible to direct a stream of spray directly into the hole on the underside of the nest. . It will not take much to do the job. Check the next day for activity. If still seeing hornets, repeat the next night. If second application does not do it, it is time for fire if you can tolerate some damage to the shrubbery. This time use a small torch to burn the opening of the nest. just after applying the spray.  For yellow and red wasps in my buildings,  I  have sprayed them with kerosene in a small hand pumped compressed air sprayer, have used a can of engine starting fluid if I can get close enough and have used aerosol cans of wasp and hornet killer. They all work. 

So....  I used to hate hornets and wasps....  Thought they were Satan's demons here on earth...    But after a little research (as I didn't think they had any use) they actually do.  They eat insects.  You know those pesky little ******** that bite and aggravate you...  yeah you know the ones!  The hornets and wasps eat them and feed them to their larva. 

I tell you all this for this reason, I have learned to let them live if I can!  Usually I find them and offer them the chance to vacate.  I explain that where they built their nest doesn't work for me and I ask them politely to move.  If it's in a place I can live with it I leave them alone and let them do their work as they are hard workers. 

I've yet to have any success with the strategy of asking them to move on their own.  And since you can't reason with the little ******** they get a can of raid to the face.   It shoots 20 ft or so and the guys are right they are all home at night. 

Your mileage may vary but they are hard workers, they are helpful, but when they build someplace where you can't live with them they have to go.

Now if they hurt my dog I have to get medievil on their arses.    That's just plain evil and mean as dog's are a gift from the good Lord above and anybody that would hurt them is walking on the fighting side of me. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

What he said. Bee stings my dog.....they all gonna die, like now.  

Raid works. Gas works. Brake/carb cleaner works... Hot water, probably even cool water with dish soap works ( they get it in their wings and just drop....them you stomp them), but they all cost $1-3, and they take time.  What works fast and cheap....I’ve taken an old towel and just quickly encapsulated the whole nest in it (size of soccer ball even), then I rip it down and stomp on it. Quick. Early morning or at night,... they are really docile 

Weed burner when it’s cold, if your really getting serious use two, touch off the first one and hold it aside, then open up the second one spray into liquid propane on the next and bring in the lit one. i only offer this because I can’t buy napalm, but blue foam dissolved in gasoline does well In a pinch

• Haha 1