Lumber prices through the roof

Went to a birthday party yesterday and a friend was talking about the shed he is building , he had a lumber quote 2 months ago, he got his foundation poured and called to order the lumber and trusses. The lumber had gone up 30%, which is bad enough , but the trusses went from 200 dollars a piece to over 700. I checked online and lumber futures have tripled in a few short months. That is going to put the brakes on new home construction even with 2% financing.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, from H to 80 said:

Went to a birthday party yesterday and a friend was talking about the shed he is building , he had a lumber quote 2 months ago, he got his foundation poured and called to order the lumber and trusses. The lumber had gone up 30%, which is bad enough , but the trusses went from 200 dollars a piece to over 700. I checked online and lumber futures have tripled in a few short months. That is going to put the brakes on new home construction even with 2% financing.

I don't go through a lot of lumber - I repair and remodel but don't build - but I know studs have gone up a bunch.  Seemingly unrelated, PVC trim that I often use is getting harder to find too.

This whole mess we're still going through is, I believe, going to have a huge ripple effect on the cost and availability of just about everything eventually.

• Like 2

I know it does sound like farming.

My Uncle who is semi retired from construction but still does enough to stay busy when he wants was telling Dad and I when we were doing 2nd cutting hay on his place about a month ago. He went to a lumberyard and picked up the last of the 16 ft 2×4s they had. Told him he was lucky because the next shipment was going up over 20% which for the dimensions listed above put it over 20 bucks a pop.

Treated lumber is practically nonexistent around here. You can't walk in and find it anywhere. Brother was talking to someone he knows who is trying to remodel his house. He asked him if he was having trouble getting supplies. Told him not so far except for treated lumber. He wants to redo his deck. He can't get treated for it unless he preorders it and they drop it off at his house direct. Problem is you do it this way. You're stuck with what they brought you. We all know that the quality of lumber has gone down hill and some of the boards they try to sell are as crooked as a politician. He wants to be able to look at what he's buying before he gets stuck with a bunch of warped boards.

• Like 2

People are spending vacation money on home improvements. Tried pricing an above ground pool lately?

3 minutes ago, exSW said:

People are spending vacation money on home improvements. Tried pricing an above ground pool lately?

Can't afford one anyway and won't buy one if i could. To big of a PITA taking care of pools. Learned that taking care of one for my Aunt and Uncle when they were gone on a trip quite a few years ago. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Try your local sawmill. There are lots of mom and pop mills round here that will cut anything you want. They don't have treated lumber but cedar is plentiful here. Thx-Ace 

20 minutes ago, acem said:

Try your local sawmill. There are lots of mom and pop mills round here that will cut anything you want. They don't have treated lumber but cedar is plentiful here. Thx-Ace 

I hauled 48’ of red elm to the mill last week. Works great exposed to weather as long as there’s no ground contact.

Around here you have trouble with the building codes using ungraded lumber for building anything that needs to be inspected, even though what you are adding on to was already built with ungraded back in the day!!

Wife and I refinanced and put up an above ground pool and a deck this year.  Pool is used and not very old but in excellent shape.  Picking things up is a crap shoot for sure but luckily the only problem we have had is getting a new liner.  Want one but they are non existent to get at this point so we are going to cross our fingers and take a chance on the one we have.

Things are hard to get like has been said

Editorial this morning talked of just this, a bloody covid fee, restructuring cost to cover supplies, sanitizing, wages because of this pain in the ass virus, gotta keep wondering how much longer the governments expect their peeps to keep swallowing the koolaid.

My grandson had a touch of diarrhea this last weekend due to the heat, Leo is in daycare today but Starbucks quarantined Shelby until the 21st, even though she's getting paid this just isn't believable.

11 minutes ago, Ihcubguy said:

Wife and I refinanced and put up an above ground pool and a deck this year.  Pool is used and not very old but in excellent shape.  Picking things up is a crap shoot for sure but luckily the only problem we have had is getting a new liner.  Want one but they are non existent to get at this point so we are going to cross our fingers and take a chance on the one we have.

Unless its a split seam which is fixable but only when empty, if you go over the liner thoroughly before filling and then find a problem hole there are/was patching kits that can be used underwater, I had a pool from '95 to '08 and never had a leak, what kind of filter system are you using, I tried elements on my first pool goround in the 80s, then tried diatomaceous earth, on the second filter went strictly sand filter and never looked back, piped in bypass and mainlines in white pvc and happy happy.

If Biden is elected he will wave his magic wand and covid will be gone in the entire USA by the time he is sworn into office. If Trump is reelected covid will hang on for 2-3 years.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, 806 man said:

If Biden is elected he will wave his magic wand and covid will be gone in the entire USA by the time he is sworn into office. If Trump is reelected covid will hang on for 2-3 years.

I hope that’s all the demo... sorry. I hope that’s all that goes on after Mr. President is re-elected. I’m nervous we haven’t seen anything yet

49 minutes ago, 806 man said:

I don’t know who is pulling the ducking strings, to much worry about pissing off the ducking Chinese, but this border crap, the government demands of adherence or 1000.00 fines, six foot distances, masks, no crowds, all of it is not going to do a damn thing in the long run except bleed everything dry of funds and put millions of people behind an 8 ball. 

We have the most useless piece of s**t running Kannada that thinks we should be staying segregated til they deem us safe, it ain’t gonna happen, people are already going broke, claiming bankruptcy, not wanting to work because the cerb funds are better and the three levels of government are saying things are going south again and we have tighten up, they are also saying polls taken are verifiers of the kanadian public wants more restrictions because of these, maybe a few crybaby letters to the editor but I don’t see it.

I’m lucky I’ve never had any use for government, so for me to trust them and blindly follow what they are saying ain’t gonna happen, there is a problem out there made worse by four different levels starting with the biggest waste of money and time the UN medical base WHO  then down from there.

no rant just one opinion.

• Like 1

for the lumber was on the news here 2 months ago   contractors out of dc /maryland  working for the yuppie dc politicos cidiotes with lots of $$$$ were travelling 6 + hours 1 way to find enough just to complete stalled projects

we had trouble completing a wagon in april  no 2x6x8   had to cut 8x 10's

as to the pool  had one(3) '71 thru 10-19  

pool proper went to scrap and some other parts have been on cl since last year

$675 filter w/ NEW $ 375 pump/motor

$2300 heater

$2K in other items  havent been offered over $200 for it all as ONLY the druggies or resellers want to buy

• Like 1
On 8/17/2020 at 9:57 PM, Dasnake said:

Unless its a split seam which is fixable but only when empty, if you go over the liner thoroughly before filling and then find a problem hole there are/was patching kits that can be used underwater, I had a pool from '95 to '08 and never had a leak, what kind of filter system are you using, I tried elements on my first pool goround in the 80s, then tried diatomaceous earth, on the second filter went strictly sand filter and never looked back, piped in bypass and mainlines in white pvc and happy happy.

Liner is in good shape and held water when it was emptied.  We just wanted the added security of a new one in case something happened in the time since it was torn down.  Currently it holds about 3 inches of water but I am going to try and fill it this weekend slowly with the garden hose.  What scares me is that I think it shrank a little bit since it was taken out.  I am afraid it is going to either come off of the bead track or else just rip on a seam. Hopefully I am wrong but time will tell.  As for the filter it has a Hayward sand filter.

• Like 1
On 8/17/2020 at 8:47 PM, Ihcubguy said:

we started putting our inground pool in on may 10,  still waiting for plastering and some concrete pavers that the plant is on back order for another month.   We signed a contract on it last fall,  now there is a 2 year wait for this company to start construction on new pools.   They told me demand has basically tripled for them, but, they are afraid to add people to build more at once because the supply chain is so sketchy that they just cant predict when they can get material.   We are hoping to get finished by september 1.   Been planning for about 4 years.  

Growing up we had an above ground with a liner,  1 thing i remember about that pool was that when we switched to baquacil chem rather than the puck clorine stuff our liner lasted several extra years.   chemicals was more expensive but, no strong clorine or green hair.   Good luck on pool, hope it gives you good service!!!

On 8/18/2020 at 9:49 AM, Rawleigh99 said:

Around here you have trouble with the building codes using ungraded lumber for building anything that needs to be inspected, even though what you are adding on to was already built with ungraded back in the day!!

....same    sort of BS here, also   Rawleigh....like a new window in an older home.......has to be double glazed...despite  those words never even been thought about , when the 'home' was first built.......

Up the gully here, we I live...we are able to bypass some of the bureaucratic     BS.......thus far......;).....at least we do not have trouble with timber.....treated or whatever..plenty available....at a price..........however, I have my own sawmill.....and an old stand of Douglas Fir......which we chip  away at.......

Mike

• Like 3
5 hours ago, cjf711 said:

we started putting our inground pool in on may 10,  still waiting for plastering and some concrete pavers that the plant is on back order for another month.   We signed a contract on it last fall,  now there is a 2 year wait for this company to start construction on new pools.   They told me demand has basically tripled for them, but, they are afraid to add people to build more at once because the supply chain is so sketchy that they just cant predict when they can get material.   We are hoping to get finished by september 1.   Been planning for about 4 years.  

Growing up we had an above ground with a liner,  1 thing i remember about that pool was that when we switched to baquacil chem rather than the puck clorine stuff our liner lasted several extra years.   chemicals was more expensive but, no strong clorine or green hair.   Good luck on pool, hope it gives you good service!!!

Thanks, so do we.

On 8/18/2020 at 3:51 AM, Reichow7120 said:

Can't afford one anyway and won't buy one if i could. To big of a PITA taking care of pools. Learned that taking care of one for my Aunt and Uncle when they were gone on a trip quite a few years ago. 

In my experience you need to check the parts list and make sure the pool slave is included - not just a blank space in which they write your name.

• Haha 2

Used to look after pools and hot tubs in the hotels in Jasper in the mid eighties, fast forward to 2013 get a new job and they say maintaining the pool is part of the duties no problem, mind wanders to Beverly Hills milfs drinking white wine and cocktails as pool boy goes about his duties this might not be so bad....record scratch....flabio pulling grey curlies out of suction strainers at 3am, getting old and reality sucks

• Haha 1
53 minutes ago, Ian Beale said:

In my experience you need to check the parts list and make sure the pool slave is included - not just a blank space in which they write your name.

Wife keeps trying to get me to agree to eventually get one. I will cave to her some but this one i won't. I have told her that no way in h--- are we having a pool. If she gets one. She's paying for it all and she gets to take care of it herself too. I won't have anything to do with it. My Dad is the same way with Mom on it. 

Ill agree to a hot tub. Pool? Never.

54 minutes ago, Reichow7120 said:

Wife keeps trying to get me to agree to eventually get one. I will cave to her some but this one i won't. I have told her that no way in h--- are we having a pool. If she gets one. She's paying for it all and she gets to take care of it herself too. I won't have anything to do with it. My Dad is the same way with Mom on it. 

Ill agree to a hot tub. Pool? Never.

We bought a house 12 years ago that had a run-down 16' x 32' in ground pool.  She always wanted one, and I never did due to everything I'd heard about cost and upkeep.

Turns out it's been pretty easy to take care of.  We spend probably $300 a year on chemicals (chlorine pool).  I take care of opening, closing, etc. after getting an education from an experienced old gentleman who was nice enough to teach me the basics.  We had to replace the liner a few years ago, and I bought a used pump and motor about two months ago, but our annual cost of operation is very low (of course our electric bill is higher because of the pump - we don't have heat).

Our experience has been that if you stay on top of the chemistry it's not a big deal, but let the alkalinity, pH, or calcium hardness get too far out of whack and you'll be fighting an uphill battle.

I've enjoyed the pool a lot.  And, it's a great way to get the grandkids to stop by once in a while.

• Like 1