Hi guys, I'm looking for some advice on how to deal with having a bunch of stuff trucked. Almost every time I've dealt with having vehicles or other items shipped I've ended up getting hosed in some way, especially with freight brokers. What is the best way to find someone to haul stuff for you? I posted on Yesterdays Tractors once and did get someone to haul a tractor for me and that worked out OK, but this time I need two or three semi loads of stuff moved.

Here's the situation: my wife and I are sick of the high taxes, dumb politics, cold winters, and short growing seasons in VT and are in the process of buying a similar place to what we have now in northeastern TN. I've sold off almost all of the equipment I'm not taking with me but still have three farm tractors, a skid steer, '76 Jeep CJ5, and a few 3pt implements that I just can't part with. Plus we're putting all of our stuff from the house and my shop tools into a 20 shipping container.

I figure the tractors, Jeep, and implements will fill two semi flat beds (will need ramps to drive the stuff on/off) and ideally the container goes on a roll back or Landol type trailer. Do I just brace for BS and start calling freight brokers? Is there a place to post this sort of job?

Thanks!

Sounds you have been frustrated in the past.

If you have enough stuff to move, would you consider getting your own truck and trailer?

You could either continue to use it as another source of income or sell everything once you are done moving

Big trucks can be had for a reasonable price right now and trailers if bought right hold their value pretty well.

I have moved my entire outfit before, it is a lot of work and can be stressful until it is over and you can sit down and catch your breath, I wish you well.

Yeah, I've had vehicles and machinery moved in the past and it was hit or miss, one time I got scammed by a broker who would take your money then basically not do anything and ended up having to pay a lot more than would have been reasonable given the timing.

I've had some great experiences with a couple of local guys running stuff within the northeast and I've reached out to one, but I don't know if these guys will do ~800 miles one way.

As for buying my own rig, that's a great idea it wouldn't be cost effective for my situation. If I had to move half a dozen trailer loads then maybe, but for two I can't justify it.

• Like 1

Find an honest broker!! Terribly hard to find, but I would have to say my brother is one of the more honest ones. I can send you his number if you want. 

When i moved to Wyo. I bought a semi and hauled containers and equipment 18 loads across the country plus a car carrier and moving van. A huge task. You might want to look into a gooseneck flat trailer for your pickup and haul it yourself. Moving on the eastern seaboard will be expensive and if done yourself you will have a trailer paid by the move. I paid for my semi with the move I did. It will be worth it leaving for brighter pastures. Hang in there

• Like 1

Reach out to some of these smaller businesses. The one or two truck kind that hire a lot of independent truckers. There’s always something going somewhere and something coming from somewhere. 
Where are you in Vt? There’s not many of us here, and yea, I feel your frustrations about this state 🤬

I applaud you for taking the initiative and moving on.

It is a big task but hopefully you are younger and have years to get settled.

Too many people will not do this and remain in an area, hate it and have serious issues because of it.

Good luck in Tennessee and may you live a happy and long life.

Keep us up on the move.

• Like 2

I thought i was nuts moving 250 miles. Load after load after load....then the cars...

One of the best things we used was a buddies enclosed race car trailer. Man you can pack a lot of stuff in one of those. Needed a 1 ton dually to handle it but beats dealing with a broker. Maybe that is an option if you have the time to haul yourself? Or if you dont need an enclosed unit buy a used dually and find a decent used gooseneck flatbed. My 18 Ram and 30 ft tandem dually gooseneck can gross out at 39k. Need a class A but i have that already. Sell them after you are done? Buy a rust free one down in TN and when your done sell it for a profit up there in the rust belt?

• Like 1

I’m just reading this and wondering about moving loads by train? Would that be a feasible alternative or am I going to have weeks of scorn thrown at me.

1 hour ago, Dasnake said:

I’m just reading this and wondering about moving loads by train? Would that be a feasible alternative or am I going to have weeks of scorn thrown at me.

Not trying to be scornful, but the only thing that trains more around here are autos, coal, grain or other dry hopper bottom products and tank cars. Haven't seen a boxcar, gondola or flatbed in years. 

• Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, 12_Guy said:

Not trying to be scornful, but the only thing that trains more around here are autos, coal, grain or other dry hopper bottom products and tank cars. Haven't seen a boxcar, gondola or flatbed in years. 

That’s all I was wondering I see the trains moving all sorts of containers from the coast through the canyon and it was just a thought.

I'm pretty sure it would be better, and cheaper, possibly much cheaper, to use someone local.  But there is uShip.com if you want to look into something else.  I don't know much about it.  My cousin hauled with a service like that for a while, not sure if it was this one but I think so.  You could play around with the load items, weight, sizes, etc. and maybe get an estimate or bid.  And I think they have hauler reviews.  I saw about two episodes of "Shipping Wars", and I think that's what they used, if any of that was real.

Thanks everyone for the replies and PMs - I've gotten pricing from three of the guys that were suggested (local, small or one man outfits) and I think I'm all set for when the time comes. It will be a lot cheaper to hire this done, even with three truck loads than to buy a truck and do this myself.

Doug in NY, to answer your question I have a Case 530, White 2-70, and IH 1486. There is also the Jeep mentioned above, Thomas T133 skid steer, and the old Trojan 124 payloader (with IH power!). I was going to sell the payloader locally but it sounds like it will be cheaper to use it to pull the container onto the third trailer, have it go along for the ride, then use it to push the container off than to sell it here and have to hire someone with a machine to handle the container when I get down south (or to hire a rollback or Landol to move the container). Besides, I get to keep the payloader this way!

For anyone else looking at this, definitely find a guy with a semi or small company (three guys with semis!) and work with them. In the past I've gotten broker quotes to move a single tractor or pickup truck for not much farther for MORE than I will pay per semi load. I will never ever ever even consider using a broker again.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yep, that's a nice area for sure.  Lot of beef cattle over that way.  Used to be a big area for burley, but that's about all gone.  I have several friends over that way. 

23 hours ago, Dasnake said:

load after load of coal, major corridor coming out of Wyoming.

On the very rare occasion I think I have seen car loads of new automobiles. Do they still ship them that way from factory? It is pretty hard to see inside but they look like the train cars I remember from my youth. 

chevenstein, glad you got it worked out. Moving is very stressful but also exciting and rewarding. I have done it more than I care to remember.

But, we took the attitude "we are moving to a better place". And you know what, it always was. The new people we met and the new experiences we had, I wouldn't trade a ssingle one of them now.

Hope you have a trouble free move!