Overkill for the job and I love it

2 minutes ago, Rusty shackleford said:

I know on a farmall cub could hay rake but then there's no turbo whistle 15976277104717348743800179011017.thumb.jpg.4c4806aa6fa5afaa742f24eacf9b0c87.jpg

Same here! A 1466 is a little much, but that's what we have. Looks good to me Rusty!

• Like 3

Never overkill, just a big smile and a "yeah, it's got enough"😄

• Like 5

I raked with a 7060 ac before because it was what was available although that had half of the available hp as a 1206 but only 1/1000 of the coolness factor

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

We've raked hay with both our 7120s. One time on each tractor. FWA because we were down 2 tractors at the time and it was unhooked so my brother went with that. The other time was my 2wd 7120 was there for cutting and all the other tractors were at another place raking and bailing. One rake got brought over and i raked with my 7120.

• Like 3

We raked with our 8930 for years when we had custom cutter come.  It wasnt chopping so it was free.  That was a vermeer r2800..now we have a claas 2800 4 basket...the 2wd mtx120 McCormick gets pushed a little.

• Like 1

look at the floatation you have with those tires. look at the seat wow. something wrong with the radio? your styling. 

• Like 1

Have raked with the 4166 and 4494 here before. You're fine with your setup lol

• Like 2

i was always brought up the more tractor than implement the better your off. I rememebr my brother mowing his yard with a 1086 said he needed the a/c 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
11 hours ago, TroyDairy said:

We raked with our 8930 for years when we had custom cutter come.  It wasnt chopping so it was free.  That was a vermeer r2800..now we have a claas 2800 4 basket...the 2wd mtx120 McCormick gets pushed a little.

not to get off the subject but how do those two rakes compare to each other? 

Do you think you have enough weight on the front of the rake tractor? 

Like the rest, I use what is available at the time. Always better to have more power than not enough. But then, we did cultivate 80 acres of soybeans with a Cub Cadet original (7 hp) out of necessity one year. Timperman IH dealer in Seymour Indiana thought dad was joking so they came out and took lots of pictures of that.

More power can be fun but not always, mostly when you pay the fuel bill.

I have moved hay with my 4366, it has a 3 pt.

My wife's family is blessed with large breasts. She has DD which are nice! However her younger sister complains that hers are too big. Hurt her back, cant find bras in normal store, etc.

Imho, ymmv

Thx-Ace 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
44 minutes ago, acem said:

My wife's family is blessed with large breasts. She has DD which are nice! However her younger sister complains that hers are too big. Hurt her back, cant find bras in normal store, etc.

Imho, ymmv

Thx-Ace 

I have been told more than a mouthful is wasteful!  There are certain items which need to be wasteful.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, 88power said:

not to get off the subject but how do those two rakes compare to each other? 

They dont.  The rotary is far and away better.  Way less dirt and with big choppers 3 15' passes into 1 is just enough.  This one is quite old.  We got at  auction 2-3 years ago.  The newer models [krone and claas] will get 4 15' cuts or 5 10'.   Buddy got the 6 basket Krone [too much] but it will get 72' iirc.  He cant use it till 3rd or the chopper guy will quit.  Broke alot of stuff few years ago b/c of poor operator and giant [vw beetle sized] wads.  CHopper guy we use says for some reason Krones make a cleaner row.  Cant explain it but smoother for feed rolls he feels.  But for %90k vs %13k we will keep the old Claas for some time.

A vermeer r2800 is nice to use and tough.  They just dont rake silage wet grass.  They rope it up into a nice long braid that sucks into the chopper at the most inopportune moments.  And bang...break.  Slower ground speed too.  They work nice in lighter stuff and hay though.  Rotary [good ones] work well in everything and choppers like the fluffy row.  I would like to try a merger out but none on the coast here.....heck there is only 1 in the state I know of!

• Thanks 1

I should have taken a picture of tedding first cutting with the 1086. It was unhooked and had a roof to keep me out of the sun. Power enough for the hills, too.😀

100_1880.JPG

• Like 1

Probably my favorite rake tractor was an Oliver 600, (think David Brown 990)

You could rake in high gear and idle the tractor. Sipping fuel all day.

The other was an 1850 Oliver. 5th gear 1200 rpm’s and just enjoy the ride!

Nothing succeeds like excess?

• Like 1
3 hours ago, acem said:

More power can be fun but not always, mostly when you pay the fuel bill.

I have moved hay with my 4366, it has a 3 pt.

Imho, ymmv

Thx-Ace 

2 hours ago, RichardDSalyer said:

I have been told more than a mouthful is wasteful!  There are certain items which need to be wasteful.

DD’s are a nice option(there’s a set here) but not a necessity.

And I’ve pulled the five bar IH basket rake with the 7010 AC. The 560 had blew the hi pressure power steering line. Again

• Like 1
8 hours ago, exSW said:

And I’ve pulled the five bar IH basket rake with the 7010 AC. The 560 had blew the hi pressure power steering line. Again

Blowing steering lines must be a PA thing.............I blew the same one on the 1456 twice so far this year, braze one spot and it blew again in another last monday.  I got a new one coming, hopefully it stops.  

• Like 1

7240 on a 19 wheel Rowse Ultimate in cornstalks at 14 mph. It was trying to rain, wanted to get the field done, and the guy helping me was pulling a JD 560M round baler with a JD 8330 and passing me......

36 minutes ago, TP from Central PA said:

Blowing steering lines must be a PA thing.............I blew the same one on the 1456 twice so far this year, braze one spot and it blew again in another last monday.  I got a new one coming, hopefully it stops.  

Lotsa turns in little fields.

New line came today. Got tired of braising, compression fittings and so on. Went to shoot it with 2150 before I installed it and the dang near full can was FLAT!

I agree.  Enough power and weight, is always good when raking! image.thumb.jpg.40323b4884edf1b1e47fd8506118a4d0.jpgAE075CA4-4001-414F-9F1A-9B5241956641.thumb.jpeg.311baf615f09706430e7c4d2677b1ded.jpeg1066 and 1466 on the tedders.  I learned to rake hay  (30+ years ago, first field work job)  with the 1066 in the middle of that pic. It was our only tractor with a cab at the time and dad figured it was safest with ROPS, and wouldn’t let the rake climb up a tire onto me if I messed up.

• Like 1