Black /Red oak trees

We are losing a lot of oak trees around  here.They look good up untill now. leaves drop and die back . Most are older trees with some age on them

• Sad 1
11 minutes ago, Butch-Ky said:

We are losing a lot of oak trees around  here.They look good up untill now. leaves drop and die back . Most are older trees with some age on them

Disease or stressed from heat?

Sudden Oak Death, has been happening California for 15 or 20 years just north of where I am. Have not really checked it out,but can be spread by contaminated wood. I see a lot come up if you google it.  

In southern New England  3 years ago the Gypsy moth caterpillars were bad they striped all the leaves on the oaks then we had a dry summer the next year and a lot of the Oaks didn’t  make it. The mature trees suffered the most. Sad to see so many go at once

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, jeeper61 said:

In southern New England  3 years ago the Gypsy moth caterpillars were bad they striped all the leaves on the oaks then we had a dry summer the next year and a lot of the Oaks didn’t  make it. The mature trees suffered the most. Sad to see so many go at once

Reminiscent of Dutch Elm Disease and then Emerald Ash borer😱

I've been seeing a lot of burr oaks dieing in my neck of the woods lately..

1 hour ago, Ihfan4life said:

Emerald Ash borer

Power company just took down 6 big ash trees on our drive. Actually a contractor to the power company. I asked and they tied ribbons on the trees and took them down. I have a bucket truck but won't go anywhere near a high tension line; not quite as scared after the transformer.

Anyway, it's sad to see such big trees killed. The dead branches were hanging over the drive and power lines and it would have cost thousands to have them removed. Good thing ever Source is concerned with outages!

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, New Englander said:

Power company just took down 6 big ash trees on our drive. Actually a contractor to the power company. I asked and they tied ribbons on the trees and took them down. I have a bucket truck but won't go anywhere near a high tension line; not quite as scared after the transformer.

Anyway, it's sad to see such big trees killed. The dead branches were hanging over the drive and power lines and it would have cost thousands to have them removed. Good thing ever Source is concerned with outages!

Agreed. I hated seeing the Dutch Elm disease wipeout all of the Elm trees. Huge, straight trunk with a massive canopy 30-40 feet in the air. We had a lone survivor that got taken out by the ice storm in the late ‘90’s. 

Up here we have oak wilt, emerald ash borer is just starting to move in, spruce bud worm, and there are still some of the few surviving elm trees that are slowly dying. Something is hitting the white birch trees also.

• Sad 1
8 hours ago, TractormanMike.mb said:

Something is hitting the white birch trees also

White birches have been hit by some sort of blight here for years. They die and rot in place inside their waterproof bark. Neighbor has a couple on their front lawn that are still going at around 8" diameter but most don't seem to get much bigger than 4-6.

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, New Englander said:

White birches have been hit by some sort of blight here for years. They die and rot in place inside their waterproof bark. Neighbor has a couple on their front lawn that are still going at around 8" diameter but most don't seem to get much bigger than 4-6.

That's what we are seeing here also. I've cut a lot of them on the property around my house for firewood. If you catch them early enough they still make good firewood but it doesn't take long for the wood to break down.

• Like 2
16 hours ago, Butch-Ky said:

i've noticed it also just like the bore worm killing the ash trees.

Live on Birch hill in the boreal Forest belt, the birch having a bad go is a big deal.  There is a belt of birch that runs around the globe at these latitudes, lists of acres, lots of trees.  Bad deal

• Sad 1

Good post!  a lot of Concern for my area hardwoods especially oak but sad ,thee oak are are upper canopy Here  ,loss of that will most definitely change Seen a poster board at the arboretum that was eye opening to the amount trees that are extinction recently 

its frustrating, the red oaks here got hit HARD back in early to mid 2000s its slowed down a lot, they would do just as you say, leaves drop, or section dies out then eventually takes the entire tree in about a yrs time maybe two tops - i burn a lot of it for firewood and cut them when i see one just starting to die, seems like it helps slow things down on the others around them. We have ash borers here bad, telling us 90% will be gone in 5 to 7 yrs. Most are having them removed already. 

I burn only dead trees for firewood but boy some of that oak is hard splitting I wait till its frozen - that helps a lot - the ash splits easily. The oak and ash are always full of holes from bugs, hickory also. 

One thing you need to be careful of if you cut dead or dying oaks is the time of year that it's done. When you're cutting a tree if it breaks a limb or breaks the bark of a neighboring healthy tree that is all it takes to spread the disease to that tree also. Usually it's during the spring through mid summer while the tree is in its growth stage, basically when the bark peels easily. On state select cut jobs it is written in the contract that those units cannot be cut until after a certain date for that reason and even then the foresters like it more if select cutting is done during the winter when the trees are dormant.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, TractormanMike.mb said:

One thing you need to be careful of if you cut dead or dying oaks is the time of year that it's done. When you're cutting a tree if it breaks a limb or breaks the bark of a neighboring healthy tree that is all it takes to spread the disease to that tree also. Usually it's during the spring through mid summer while the tree is in its growth stage, basically when the bark peels easily. On state select cut jobs it is written in the contract that those units cannot be cut until after a certain date for that reason and even then the foresters like it more if select cutting is done during the winter when the trees are dormant.

thanks mike, i did not know that fortunately I have alwasy cut mine in october at the earliest thru feb - im extremely allergic to poison ivy and heat, I like to cut wood when its cool/cold

• Like 1