Torque converter vent

barkoguru

Td7e, I’ve noticed clean oil coming from an open hole at the bottom of the flywheel housing, this hole is threaded with paint in the threads so I assume it’s been open for quite a while, I’m thinking torque converter input seal leaking or the converter itself maybe, the op manual mentioned a vent, I have no vent that I can find,  but there is a plugged hole in the converter housing just behind the dash panel, any ideas or opinions?

The service manual says "Remove the breather pipe (1) (if equipped)  mine (C series) has the breather, it sounds as if some do not have the breather, maybe the later models (E series) here is some torque converter trouble shooting information from the service manual.

img542.jpg

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, barkoguru said:

Just an update but I pulled the plug and put a vent line on the torque converter, still dribbles oil out of the hole in the bottom of the flywheel housing so I’m thinking leaking seal now.

Your probably right, thanks for the update, let us know the outcome, when mine started to leak it was not a dribble, we pulled the converter and had it rebuilt.

3 hours ago, louie figone said:

Your probably right, thanks for the update, let us know the outcome, when mine started to leak it was not a dribble, we pulled the converter and had it rebuilt.

I believe I’m gonna replace the rotten hose on the suction line and clean the suction screen and see if that clears up the cavitation problem so I can make sure the converter is working ok before I pull it out to reseal it, maybe go ahead tear into it and check it out, the transmission holds  and shifts good but I’m thinking the pinion or pto seal is leaking into the diff case so I may snatch it out while I’m that deep into it.

barkoguru, interesting parallel universes we live in. My 1966 Hough  H-100B Operators Manual calmly reads "The converter is sealed to the engine flywheel housing. Leakage from converter at this end is directed into the flywheel housing, and is drained back to the transmission sump by a hose. The starting motor is a sealed unit to prevent transmission oil from entering the starting motor." So what's going on with my Huff is that transmission fluid is slowly oozing out the nose cone on the starter then down the case and onto the ground, or into my upcoming drip pan. My manual is an April 1968 and "supersedes" the December 1964 edition, about when the the Hough 100 series were born. My SWAG goes like this. It's possible that the leak, from the engine-side seal of the converter, didn't become widely apparent until they'd been used for a year or two. So instead of a better seal they built in a return hose in '67 or '68 . That hose would be the third hose comin' 'n a'goin from the converter. Unfortunately for me, there is no drain-back line.  So my Huffer is happily huffin 'n a'puffin, 'n a'clockin' 'n a'leakin with 10,500 hours with the leak, and sadly, with only two hoses. So while i'm trying to keep everything else running on the planet, the idea is evolving, in my nimble bean, to add a return line by drillin' out a one-inch hole (to allow for future growth) in the flywheel housing and runnin' the "drain-back hose" to one of several likely looking plugs in the t-sump. Will follow-up someday. GR-R-R