8 hours ago, mike newman said:

/........curious.......what with the love affair with 13 speed ????    what about 15RTO 's??or     18 speed like my last Mack.....???

.......never had a dump truck with ten speeds......Must be an American thing.....like Mack with  just a handfull of speeds...was it nine...?? Never did have that down under....

...as I said...just curious......Had a two stick Spicer...that was 16 speeds...by the time that old Mercedes was rolling......prick of a thing compared with  Mack's  or IH Road Ranger's....

Mike

See a few 15 speeds here in some of the older trucks guys like em

Now this is my opinion for the loads I haul over the hilly roads I drive. The trucks I have driven like to live around that 1400rpm.

13 speed has just the right rpm split between gears for accelerating and just right to drop into 12th (if I need to) to finish off the top of the hills I go over.

10 speed has a little too much distance between gears. Especially the 9 - 10 split. I have a Super Ten behind a Cummins N14 Red Top and it is ok but given the choice I prefer the 13.

18 speed is good too but I don't haul heavy enough to split the bottom end so wouldn't need the extra weight of the 18.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Gonna give old Snowball a rest. Wichita is a 2011 KW T700 Two loads hauled with it so far and fixing all the little things you hafta when buying a used truck. Hope it will be a good one

Careful, your starting to sound like MTO......

Oh really  ????!!!...... ..."".four on the floor"".........40   MPH ...on the down hill run......old  works truck...(as in road works....I believe...)........shifting camp.... Mike

Posted Images

9 hours ago, Tmtbob said:
9 hours ago, Big Bud guy said:

Anyways we deleted them last week

Seems he has problems with them until he deletes them.

Question for you guys that delete. Do you work on your own motors or have shops that overlook the delete. My information is that there are heavy fines for those who delete or work on deleted motors. All my information is heresay and don't know anyone personally who has got fined. 

I think EGR was designed by engineers who hated internal combustion engines and want to go all electric. IMHO one of the most assinine 

ideas ever. 

I'm all for a clean planet but the emissions deal has got way out of hand and needs reined in. With the computer controlled engines of today I think they are way more efficient and if they didn't have to overcome the choking effect emissions has on them would be a much better running engine. 

Anyway I really like this new truck and want to do what I can to make the Paccar motor work.

Oh, If I could only drop My Cummins N14 in it.............................................

36 minutes ago, jass1660 said:

That paccar engine is designed to cruise at 1000 rpm. 

I have heard the newer ones are a low rpm motor and designed to run at 1000 to 1100 but this 2011 seems happiest at about 1400. And that is where it is at 70 mph. 

I do know upshifting with a load, I want to take it to 15 or 1600 so with the rpm drop it pulls well in the next higher gear. 

I could be wrong but I think that is a more recent thing (not sure what year it started with) and what the engine mfg's are going for. 

I only have 2 loads hauled and about a thousand miles driving it so I sure don't know everything about it yet. 

1 hour ago, sandhiller said:

Question for you guys that delete. Do you work on your own motors or have shops that overlook the delete. My information is that there are heavy fines for those who delete or work on deleted motors. 

We had a guy who had been doing a lot of deletes locally do ours.  Most of his business is farm machinery both red and green but he does trucks too.  All he does is plug in his laptop and does something to the ECM.  Then it’s up to us to do something about the DPF and plug off the EGR. Last week we took the filters off and reamed them out.   Probably would have been better to just take the filters out completely and reroute the exhaust to the muffler.  But we didn’t have the materials on hand plus I wanted to give the appearance that it still had emissions equipment.  Plan on doing the EGR this winter.

Cost was $2,800 per truck.  There was originally 8 of these trucks on the lot.  We got the last three fairly cheap almost half price because they had sat on the lot for so long they were throwing codes and one was even in limp mode.  Couldn’t even take it home.  My neighbor bought one about 6 months ago and gave $12,000 more then we did per truck.  His still has the emissions but it’s already cost him $450 and he hasn’t used it much.  Apparently it was almost burning as much DEF as fuel so he and to replace some sort of def valve.  Works fine now.  

0A1D4C50-6519-4F09-B8A4-2FFDC87BC11B.jpeg

• Thanks 1
18 hours ago, Dasnake said:

Do you guys do mtn passes with multiple gear automatic semis? Do you leave it in drive and does the trans do the work? I know with my ram it was a different world with the stock trans but my last trip and the redone 48re is a world of difference, but there is a cost factor involved here, for you guys I would think the cost isn’t the matter but reliability is.

Yes and no. This transmission will kick itself up into high gear when you start back down the backside of a mountain pass, it will not hold you back unless you manually kick it down🤬 If you so much as touch the throttle it’s back into high gear! So, if you’re going down a slope, and the slope flattens out enough where it requires you to give it a little throttle, it’s back in high gear. And you won’t notice it until you let off the throttle expecting it to hold you back🤬

It has a manual mode where you can shift every upshift and down shift simply by pushing a button on the dash. If I remember I’ll take a picture of the control panel tomorrow.

When coming up to a stop light braking hard it will not shift down it’s own. I almost always bump it down manually to slowdown. 
It has a performance mode shift, and a regular shift. On performance mode it hits every gear on the upshift. On the regular shift it skips gears on the upshift. Neither one affects the downshift that I’ve noticed. 

I’m not a fan of it. 

• Thanks 1
5 hours ago, Big Bud guy said:

We had a guy who had been doing a lot of deletes locally do ours.  Most of his business is farm machinery both red and green but he does trucks too.  All he does is plug in his laptop and does something to the ECM.  Then it’s up to us to do something about the DPF and plug off the EGR. Last week we took the filters off and reamed them out.   Probably would have been better to just take the filters out completely and reroute the exhaust to the muffler.  But we didn’t have the materials on hand plus I wanted to give the appearance that it still had emissions equipment.  Plan on doing the EGR this winter.

Cost was $2,800 per truck.  There was originally 8 of these trucks on the lot.  We got the last three fairly cheap almost half price because they had sat on the lot for so long they were throwing codes and one was even in limp mode.  Couldn’t even take it home.  My neighbor bought one about 6 months ago and gave $12,000 more then we did per truck.  His still has the emissions but it’s already cost him $450 and he hasn’t used it much.  Apparently it was almost burning as much DEF as fuel so he and to replace some sort of def valve.  Works fine now.  

0A1D4C50-6519-4F09-B8A4-2FFDC87BC11B.jpeg

Looks like the innards to a catalytic converter (don't ask me how I know😎) Is that the DPF?

....yeah, Jeff...got that about the old 13 speed    box's.......We have hills in New Zealand...plenty of them......narrow roads.  and steep grades.......That bit of a hill over in  Colorado , where  the east  / west  watersheds divide.............is a joy to drive over.......You would hardly drop a gear...!!....

So...I guess the virtue of the 15 speed  ...even the 15RTO,  is that when in strife...you have   a couple of extra low gears to call on......

Our truck mileage tax rates are bloody ridiculous.....so you put five axles in a trailer ......load up to 44 tons gross...then set off ...if you meet an Asian tourist , in a large Camper Van....stopped on the wrong side of the road...say.....on the Takaka Hill........(taking pictures ....).then you really need a serious low gear to claw your way off the mark.......either that or burn the clutch   out...

I have had the pleasure and privilege  of driving  over most of the United States roads....except  for New England   States.......and can understand  why the venerable 13 speed  is probably the best   gear box......I guess that is why Mack had that  nine speed  or what ever it was   for domestic use.....down under it was  12 speed ..then 18  in the Mack's

Mike

• Like 1
1 hour ago, sandhiller said:

Looks like the innards to a catalytic converter (don't ask me how I know😎) Is that the DPF?

It is a piece of the DPF.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, sandhiller said:

Does your ram still have the cat? Did it come with one? You mentioned ‘99 right? 

When I put the 4” flopro on the muffler was dead but the cat was good so I squirreled it away, didn’t know their cost so still in good shape figured keep it.

12 hours ago, sandhiller said:

See a few 15 speeds here in some of the older trucks guys like em

Now this is my opinion for the loads I haul over the hilly roads I drive. The trucks I have driven like to live around that 1400rpm.

13 speed has just the right rpm split between gears for accelerating and just right to drop into 12th (if I need to) to finish off the top of the hills I go over.

10 speed has a little too much distance between gears. Especially the 9 - 10 split. I have a Super Ten behind a Cummins N14 Red Top and it is ok but given the choice I prefer the 13.

18 speed is good too but I don't haul heavy enough to split the bottom end so wouldn't need the extra weight of the 18.

Exactly.

4 hours ago, Ihfan4life said:

Yes and no. This transmission will kick itself up into high gear when you start back down the backside of a mountain pass, it will not hold you back unless you manually kick it down🤬 If you so much as touch the throttle it’s back into high gear! So, if you’re going down a slope, and the slope flattens out enough where it requires you to give it a little throttle, it’s back in high gear. And you won’t notice it until you let off the throttle expecting it to hold you back🤬

It has a manual mode where you can shift every upshift and down shift simply by pushing a button on the dash. If I remember I’ll take a picture of the control panel tomorrow.

When coming up to a stop light braking hard it will not shift down it’s own. I almost always bump it down manually to slowdown. 
It has a performance mode shift, and a regular shift. On performance mode it hits every gear on the upshift. On the regular shift it skips gears on the upshift. Neither one affects the downshift that I’ve noticed. 

I’m not a fan of it. 

Agreed. I dont do mountains but we roll up and down hills. Pulling a tanker i like to keep the waters calm in the wagon. The automatics seem to have a mind of there own. In manual it can be controlled better but it doesnt feel like i am in total control. I can shift smoother and easier on an icy road than the autos. I guess different topography and a different type of wagon behind may make a difference. I dont know?

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Dasnake said:

Does your ram still have the cat? Did it come with one? You mentioned ‘99 right? 

No cat on one tons in 99.

2 minutes ago, sandhiller said:

No cat on one tons in 99.

Ya my 07 had the cat but nothing else, I understand there is an egr buried inside somewhere but not worth changing, the 07 1/2 was the start of ugly.

We don’t have much for enforcement for emissions around here but if you go advertising about deleting then you will draw attention you are not gonna want. Daddy Dave on street outlaws is a good example. He had a billboard up in okc a few years ago and he made a lot of money doing it But he obviously had an arrow on his back with the billboard. 
  I do work on my own stuff and haven’t had to worry about emissions cause I refuse to own something with that crap on it. I did end up buying an 08 F-350 that was deleted but I didn’t know how much it was deleted until I saw it and it was completely. If it wasn’t I was going to get rid of all of it myself and have a friend who owns a diesel shop for pickups that also offered cause he trust me to not advertise but he’s nervous about doing it for guys he doesn’t know. Smaller shops would probably work on them or better yet become friends with them and they wouldn’t be so nervous about it. 
  The guy I was talking about having his paccar engines deleted took them to a small shop that’s owned by a guy that had worked at a dealer in okc and had experience on them. They wouldn’t say they deleted them and called it a Canadian tune on the engines but they were deleted. 

• Like 1
45 minutes ago, Tmtbob said:

We don’t have much for enforcement for emissions around here but if you go advertising about deleting then you will draw attention you are not gonna want. Daddy Dave on street outlaws is a good example. He had a billboard up in okc a few years ago and he made a lot of money doing it But he obviously had an arrow on his back with the billboard. 
  I do work on my own stuff and haven’t had to worry about emissions cause I refuse to own something with that crap on it. I did end up buying an 08 F-350 that was deleted but I didn’t know how much it was deleted until I saw it and it was completely. If it wasn’t I was going to get rid of all of it myself and have a friend who owns a diesel shop for pickups that also offered cause he trust me to not advertise but he’s nervous about doing it for guys he doesn’t know. Smaller shops would probably work on them or better yet become friends with them and they wouldn’t be so nervous about it. 
  The guy I was talking about having his paccar engines deleted took them to a small shop that’s owned by a guy that had worked at a dealer in okc and had experience on them. They wouldn’t say they deleted them and called it a Canadian tune on the engines but they were deleted. 

Ya diesel bros took a huge shot also, they now have a disclaimer at the end of the show yada yada yada, they had almost a million in fines. Ive been reading up on egr, dpf, timing and the systems seem great on paper but they sure don't perform that way, especially the regen end of it.

• Like 1

i have an early 18 spd auto shift .In the mountains i always put it in manuel mode I upshift going up then pick a gear to go down the pass. The jake keeps me from rolling too fast  usually 8 gear up and 9 or 10 going down. Loaded or unloaded. 10000 ft passes with about 4000 ft change in elevation. I am sure some of you have gone in the east entrance to yellowstone park Hauled alot of loads of 26 ton or more of stone up that pass. Curvy narrow road with tourist traffic. Intense ride. No mistakes

• Like 2
On 8/16/2020 at 10:33 PM, vtfireman85 said:

It’s not a semi but I far prefer the 13spd in our tanker to the auto in the other trucks, especially when the roads are nasty. 

Amen to that but the other 20 guys on our Dept Look like an alien when the see that shifter

• Haha 2

I’ve been on that road in a truck, definitely one of the more challenging that I’ve been on. I think I was driving the FL classic with the 550 Cat with a 13.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, zleinenbach said:

Amen to that but the other 20 guys on our Dept Look like an alien when the see that shifter

We’re lucky, most of our guys dive trucks for or as part of their living. Got a father/son excavation company, a town crew Forman, a tree service owner with his on log truck, and a state highway employee, and me. The others either have learned or stay out of it. 

• Like 1
9 hours ago, new guy said:

Agreed. I dont do mountains but we roll up and down hills. Pulling a tanker i like to keep the waters calm in the wagon. The automatics seem to have a mind of there own. In manual it can be controlled better but it doesnt feel like i am in total control. I can shift smoother and easier on an icy road than the autos. I guess different topography and a different type of wagon behind may make a difference. I dont know?

Automatics and traction control will kill any attempt at climbing an icy snow covered road.

The automatic will upshift if you start running your rpm’s up to gain momentum. Then if the traction control senses you’re spinning it will kill those rpm’s you need to gain that momentum. Then you’re sitting in the middle of the hill, if you’re lucky you were able to get it over to the side to let other vehicles by... nothing worse than sitting blind in a snowstorm knowing people won’t see you until they get on top of you🤞🙏

• Like 2
2 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

We’re lucky, most of our guys dive trucks for or as part of their living. Got a father/son excavation company, a town crew Forman, a tree service owner with his on log truck, and a state highway employee, and me. The others either have learned or stay out of it. 

A 5+2 transmission and rear end seems to separate the men from the boys here! And bad part is we are a rural, farm based community. We are all automatic trucks now. 
the brakes take a beating lol

1 hour ago, zleinenbach said:

A 5+2 transmission and rear end seems to separate the men from the boys here! And bad part is we are a rural, farm based community. We are all automatic trucks now. 
the brakes take a beating lol

Got a 76 load star 1700 with one for our substation tanker, and our dump truck that just got retired has one. Your right, it’s an eye opener as to lack of skill

1 hour ago, Ihfan4life said:

@Dasnake

This is the control panel for the Mack transmission. Pretty simple, although we have had to change one out already 

9A637C27-6C75-45FB-B56D-C45FCD1C1F73.jpeg

Thanx for the info, looking at that reminds me years ago when the long haul guys i knew said the cowboy boots and cowboy hat truckers have morphed to the turbans and sandals truckers.

• Haha 1