Who Needs A Tractor?

I would have to wonder what production numbers were like? 4-6 total is my guess. Looks like a great way to tear things up and possibly die....😊

• Haha 1

Never seen anything like that. I think you need one though. 

• Like 1

Old news, uni-mog has had them for years, now, if it would over center load, I’d want one for the dump truck!

That idea really isn't too far off from what some farmers did back in the day around here which was to make a self propelled loader by taking truck or pickup, tearing it down to the frame/engine, reversing the controls for reverse travel, and rigging on a Farmhand loader.  Kind of similar to this.  https://www.farmshow.com/a_article.php?aid=11400

• Like 1

I've never seen a homemade loader. It seems easier and cheaper to simply buy a clapped-out construction machine.

These were common in New England, though. Many doodlebugs made during the depression. Usually two transmissions in line for enough reduction. 

Doddlebug tractor.jpg

• Like 3

The only thing i miss about those home-made buck rakes and loaders aka farmhands is the parts- welding rod, oxygen, acetylene and parts store parts to complete the project were not too expensive. Were lots of radiator shops in business then as everyone had to install larger radiators in this country when haying with them in the summers

11 hours ago, Big Bud guy said:

That idea really isn't too far off from what some farmers did back in the day around here which was to make a self propelled loader by taking truck or pickup, tearing it down to the frame/engine, reversing the controls for reverse travel, and rigging on a Farmhand loader.  Kind of similar to this.  https://www.farmshow.com/a_article.php?aid=11400

I think @Old Binder Guy talked about his Father building one different times over on his thread. 

On 8/15/2020 at 10:44 PM, Sledgehammer said:

I would have to wonder what production numbers were like? 4-6 total is my guess. Looks like a great way to tear things up and possibly die....😊

^^^^ X 2😄

Here is my 1928 Tractor with 2 transmissions.  4 cylinder Ford, 2 transmissions and a 1917 T Rear worm drive transmission.

P7030001a.jpg

air-baga.jpg

Trolley.jpg

• Like 3
On 8/16/2020 at 6:11 AM, New Englander said:

I've never seen a homemade loader. It seems easier and cheaper to simply buy a clapped-out construction machine.

These were common in New England, though. Many doodlebugs made during the depression. Usually two transmissions in line for enough reduction. 

Doddlebug tractor.jpg

Bild könnte enthalten: 1 Person, Auto und im Freien

Swiss made Doodlebug tractor made by the Ernst Meili Traktoren und Greiffraederfabrik in Schaffhausen Switzerland

Ausstellung-1.jpg

Meili Doodlebug tractors at a show

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
12 hours ago, Eric V Bielke said:

Like This

DSCN6491.JPG

DSCN6492.JPG

DSCN6493.JPG

DSCN6494.JPG

DSCN6495.JPG

DSCN6496.JPG

Love it! I wonder though, how many broken windshields you had to get before you decided it might not be a good idea?

From the 60's up until 10 or 15 the county road maintenance department had the front scoop loader/dump trucks. They had asphalt patch mix piled in the yard loaded it with the scoop and go patch pot wholes. And on the rare once every 10 years we get a tiny bit of snow they pushed it with them too. 

Mad City used to have CO dumps with front loader to follow & pick up after Street sweepers  route dumps.

img.jpg.81078044db56918a3563abae67cbfc87.jpg

Farmhand was into something similar 50 years ago.....

1970 Farmhand Ranch Hand F26A V6 

Mike

• Like 2