Who Needs A Tractor?

IHRunner

That idea really isn't too far off from what some farmers did back in the day around here which was to make a self propelled loader by taking truck or pickup, tearing it down to the frame/engine, reversing the controls for reverse travel, and rigging on a Farmhand loader.  Kind of similar to this.  https://www.farmshow.com/a_article.php?aid=11400

• Like 1

I've never seen a homemade loader. It seems easier and cheaper to simply buy a clapped-out construction machine.

These were common in New England, though. Many doodlebugs made during the depression. Usually two transmissions in line for enough reduction. 

Doddlebug tractor.jpg

• Like 3

The only thing i miss about those home-made buck rakes and loaders aka farmhands is the parts- welding rod, oxygen, acetylene and parts store parts to complete the project were not too expensive. Were lots of radiator shops in business then as everyone had to install larger radiators in this country when haying with them in the summers

11 hours ago, Big Bud guy said:

That idea really isn't too far off from what some farmers did back in the day around here which was to make a self propelled loader by taking truck or pickup, tearing it down to the frame/engine, reversing the controls for reverse travel, and rigging on a Farmhand loader.  Kind of similar to this.  https://www.farmshow.com/a_article.php?aid=11400

I think @Old Binder Guy talked about his Father building one different times over on his thread. 

On 8/16/2020 at 6:11 AM, New Englander said:

I've never seen a homemade loader. It seems easier and cheaper to simply buy a clapped-out construction machine.

These were common in New England, though. Many doodlebugs made during the depression. Usually two transmissions in line for enough reduction. 

Doddlebug tractor.jpg

Bild könnte enthalten: 1 Person, Auto und im Freien

Swiss made Doodlebug tractor made by the Ernst Meili Traktoren und Greiffraederfabrik in Schaffhausen Switzerland

Ausstellung-1.jpg

Meili Doodlebug tractors at a show

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

From the 60's up until 10 or 15 the county road maintenance department had the front scoop loader/dump trucks. They had asphalt patch mix piled in the yard loaded it with the scoop and go patch pot wholes. And on the rare once every 10 years we get a tiny bit of snow they pushed it with them too.