466 in a Loadstar

I have a 77 1750 loadstar, butterfly hood, extended grille, with DV550 and 5 &2 in it. I'm intimately familiar with the 550 and get along with them alright in other tractors and trucks we have. However, I am curious what would be involved in changing the V8 out for an inline 6 as the 550 gets tired? Specifically, is a doghouse in the firewall needed? Although I've seen Loadstars with 466s in them in the past, I can't remember if considerable modifications would be necessary. If there are some pictures of the engine compartment on 466 powered loadstars floating around, I would certainly appreciate the opportunity to view them, as well as gather any information about the peculiarities of of trucks with that power train.

Thanks

the whole engine transmission  unit is longer it would be quite an undertaking is your frame drilled to accept the rear engine mounts being about a foot farther back all the dt466s I have worked on  in Loadstars are with tilt hoods and yes it takes a lot of doghouse

I did a similar swap years ago in my 1850 loadstar but mine was a tilt hood and I had a donor truck for all the parts needed. I will try to get you a few pictures tonight. 

I did that swap years ago. The 5 speed was longer and required a custom shaft back to the Brownie box. The front X-member is different, the 466 uses a slanted motor mount surface. We used the doghouse out of the donor truck. We were very lucky to find a '78 Loadstar with a 466, they are a rare bird! You will need a good bit to drill the rear mount holes, that's tough steel!

• Like 1

Those pics bring back some memories. I drove a 466 Loadstar at work many years ago, in my mind the very best version of the Loadstar.

Wow! Yes lots of difference! It appears the transmission tunnel portion of the floor board is entirely different. I have a donor engine in a frame cut off from an S-series. That will obviously not be enough. Thank you for the information and pictures. I think I'll keep an eye out for a donor truck.

466 came out in 1977 and loadstars went away soon after, so 466-powered ones are rare. The one I found was a gravel truck with a rotten cab.

On 8/24/2020 at 8:56 AM, R Pope said:

466 came out in 1977 and loadstars went away soon after, so 466-powered ones are rare. The one I found was a gravel truck with a rotten cab.

76. We have a 76 diesel loadstar.

On 8/28/2020 at 4:25 AM, R Pope said:

Looked it up....466 was introduced in trucks in 1975!

I thought a article on here the first 466 was used in 1967 or designed there and put in a bulldozer or something like that.

Yes, I agree that the first use of the 466 was not in trucks although I don't know when and in what.  I don't think he's trying to say the Loadstar was the first use of the engine.

TD-15C came out in 71 or 72 and had a 466. I read an article once and it said that the 466 was first in construction equipment, IH was shocked  (according to the article) when they tested the engine for new pollution regulations for trucks and it passed without much if any modification.

DWF

On 8/30/2020 at 8:47 PM, DWF said:

TD-15C came out in 71 or 72 and had a 466. I read an article once and it said that the 466 was first in construction equipment, IH was shocked  (according to the article) when they tested the engine for new pollution regulations for trucks and it passed without much if any modification.

DWF

Yea I thought I read it was designed in 67 and came out in the dozer first. Found the article I read

040EC1B9-E0EF-4C42-A047-83FE05839B39.png

BDED58A7-2393-4BCB-AC80-578D1269125E.png

9448DD73-DD50-494A-8C8B-887E2971C120.png

D4D00018-246F-40A1-9E5B-82FD8766A9FF.png

737A145E-4159-446A-BE45-9FE8A83832BD.png

• Like 1