farmall C hydraulic Issue

The hydraulics on my C quit working the other day. I was mowing and they were working normal but when I went to raise the mowed when I finished I got nothing. After some inspection I realized they my hydraulic fluid was low and my engine oil level had risen, so I figured the pump was leaking hydraulic fluid into the engine and needed to be rebuilt. When I pulled the hydraulic pump off I found that the nut that hold the gear on the pump was missing. I found it in the housing on the tractor at which point I inspected inside the housing and found that the gear looked worn down or broken on each tooth. I admit that I am no tractor mechanic and have never looked at any of these gears on one of my tractor before, so my question is, is this bread supposed to look like this or is it ruined?

I don't want to go further in rebuilding or replacing the pump if the gear is ruined.

IMG_0955.JPG

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

My concern about replacing that gear is that, if I understand correctly that is the camshaft gear. Replacing that appears to require putting the engine on stands, separating the radiator and front axle, removing the fan and two pullies, removing the governor and pulling off the cover. I am also assuming the timing would then have to be set correctly once the new camshaft gear was in place.

I am afraid that might be biting off more than I can chew by myself. I am wondering if I should just sell it as is and cut my loses. 

Well you understand what needs to be done. I would think you could hire someone to repair it for less than it will cost to replace. If your looking for an excuse to own something else. You have it.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Blee25 said:

My concern about replacing that gear is that, if I understand correctly that is the camshaft gear. Replacing that appears to require putting the engine on stands, separating the radiator and front axle, removing the fan and two pullies, removing the governor and pulling off the cover. I am also assuming the timing would then have to be set correctly once the new camshaft gear was in place.

I am afraid that might be biting off more than I can chew by myself. I am wondering if I should just sell it as is and cut my loses. 

Yes it is a big job , But not more than you can chew from what you said you have the flow chart of the project  in your head already. So I’m 

very confident that you can do it. 

You don’t need engine stands you can crib your tractor on level ground under the bell housing using a hardwood tree Tree cut to length and over 12 plus inches in diameter to support Cut off square both Ends for a jack Stand ,what I use with small hydraulic bottle jack to raise and lower.  I do use a engine crane on the front end. But I have one. You can take the tricycle apart piece buy piece , the bloster is heavy will need help to remove , back tailgate of pickup As a die cart  under it and sit on and drive it away ,all kinds of clever things you can do . Take lots of pictures and take your time your not in a race . 
Should You attempt it You got a lot site support 
GooD luck 

• Like 1

It aint gonna be worth much and be harder to sell needing fixed......these old tractors are a lot more simple to work on than a lot of newer stuff including your car. If your nervous get a mechanically inclined buddy to help.

Engine is still in time or it wouldnt run. Roll it around to where the timing marks line up and then tear it apart. 

• Like 2

If you sell it before fixing it is only worth it as a parts tractor. If you like that size tractor fix it inside of buying another one that can break as soon as you unload it from hauling it home

• Like 1

Current situation, tractor worth scrap plus a bit. Tear into it. Great learning experience. If all else fails and you can’t complete the repair, part it out. Have fun and be safe with it. 

• Like 2

pull the oil pan & pump, that chewed up gear metal went there.

new cam bearing & gear

fine a shop to do the job

DIY and save

tractor's are made of parts, change the parts

• Like 1

Thanks for all the advice and encouragement. I am going to tackle the project. It will be a couple of weeks before I have time to take it on but when I start I will start a thread on the project. I am sure I will need plenty of advice along the way. 

My only concern before starting the project is breathing a gear pulley to pull the pulleys and camshaft gear off. I had a cheap set of harbor freight gear pullers and I broke them trying to pull the PTO gear off the c to replace the bearings. What does everyone think about this set of pullers from OTC? Should it be sufficient for the job?

https://www.amazon.com/OTC-4534-Multipurpose-Bearing-Pulley/dp/B00061SM9E/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=otc+gear+puller&qid=1597608365&sr=8-2

• Like 1
On 8/16/2020 at 5:00 PM, Blee25 said:

My only concern before starting the project is breathing a gear pulley to pull the pulleys and camshaft gear off. I had a cheap set of harbor freight gear pullers and I broke them trying to pull the PTO gear off the c to replace the bearings. What does everyone think about this set of pullers from OTC? Should it be sufficient for the job?

https://www.amazon.com/OTC-4534-Multipurpose-Bearing-Pulley/dp/B00061SM9E/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=otc+gear+puller&qid=1597608365&sr=8-2

I had issues with that PTO coming apart hard too. The pulley came off easy though. The camshaft gear, I don't know. If it's hard, it might be best removed with a press. If you don't have one or have access to one, any automotive shop will have one and for the five minutes you'd need it, they'd probably just let you use it.