Jump to content

Frost free extension...


Recommended Posts

So I installed a frost free hydrant this spring, 

I thought it would have four feet of fill so I buryied it 2 feet.... Well it needed six feet if fill so the hydrant is at grade, any way to extend it so. I can backfill around it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

i buried a 6 ft frost free 5 ft. Froze and i had to run a hose every day till spring .i should dug it out that extra foot but i was tired. well i sure was tired digging it up and replacing it with a new one.. Lesson learned

Think you better get a new one while the weather is decent

Link to post
Share on other sites

And backfill with rock at least 2 ft for the water to seep out. I saw someone once who filled back with clay dirt and it packed the weep hole shut. He was not happy

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

You can extend the hydrant. As stated the outer is just pipe. The rod on the inside can be rod or pipe depending upon the brand. Getting everything the right length is the trick. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Buy the six foot rod. Then have a pipe cut and threaded to make up the length.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Not hard to get it right 

Put a mark on the existing pipe and with the hydrant handle down measure to the center of the bolt in the handle that pulls the rod. Add the required length of pipe with the coupling and screw the hydrant handle back on measure again the difference between the two is the length the rod needs to be extended.

Cut the rod in the middle weld in the extension or thread and use coupling nuts.  

Here a diagragm for a Woodford it has a pipe to operate the plunger

https://www.woodfordmfg.com/woodford/Yard_Hydrant_Pages/Model-y34.html

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Mader:

Knowing your frustration with water supply issues from your previous posts on this forum, I would hire a professional plumber to perform the task.  Your mechanical skills may be up to the task but you seem to be snake bitten and have the worst type of luck, bad luck, when it comes to water issues.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RichardDSalyer said:

Mader:

Knowing your frustration with water supply issues from your previous posts on this forum, I would hire a professional plumber to perform the task.  Your mechanical skills may be up to the task but you seem to be snake bitten and have the worst type of luck, bad luck, when it comes to water issues.

ID dig it up and replace cheaper than that...

Im trying for the no dig option, Creative option.

Or ill just dig it up next time I have a excavator up here...

 

I do hate plumbing i figure at 4 trips to the hardware store is average on any plumbing repair for me. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, mader656 said:

So I installed a frost free hydrant this spring, 

I thought it would have four feet of fill so I buryied it 2 feet.... Well it needed six feet if fill so the hydrant is at grade, any way to extend it so. I can backfill around it.

Return.  Get new one....they are generally 3' avove gound.  So a 6' sticks 3' down.....

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TroyDairy said:

Return.  Get new one....they are generally 3' avove gound.  So a 6' sticks 3' down.....

This, it will never work right. 

if your frost is at 3 foot go 4 foot and put 2 inches of foam on top.  
 

If the line is critical lay 4 inches of foam under it, put heat trace on the line, and spray foam the line.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, mader656 said:

I do hate plumbing i figure at 4 trips to the hardware store is average on any plumbing repair for me. 

The point is, and what my Grandmother reminded me from time to time as a youth, "Son, if you do not have time to do it right the first time, how will you have time to do it over."

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...