Any plumbers here? I am working on a house for my father in law I'm not too happy about but I'm doing it. It's a modular home, double wide whatever you want to call it. Some of the plumbing is pex, but it's a thinner pex, and the ID is slightly larger than pex. The OD is the same because my crimper worked on it with the oem fittings. But my pex fittings fit in it loose. So they wont work. In the event I need something to adapt it would be nice to know what it is.  Theres a mixture of schedule 40 and this crap. Someone left this place sit over the winter and froze up. Real nice laying on your back in a wet crawl space with old fiberglass insulation falling in your face and chiggers eating your flesh. 🤬

Yuk!  It sounds like a bad time. Could it possibly be the kind of plastic line that uses those shark bite push in connectors?  Pictures would help so we can get an idea of what you're dealing with. Usually pex can handle a freeze, I'm surprised it failed.

I have 2 PEX tools, one is the metal ring with the tab like you described and the other is a copper ring like you described.  My fittings will interchange and I've never seen a difference in the tubing.

12 minutes ago, Missouri Mule said:

I should of took a picture. But its grey and uses a metal band to crimp just like pex. One solid metal ring not the one with a tab on the side. 

This is the dreaded poly butyl pipe.  It is a lot different than pex in a few ways.  There was a big class action lawsuit some years back.  Get rid of it if you can.  If that's not feasible they make adapters.   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

i think its the early version. Not very good. i have used some later pipe and the stuff i use now uses a fitting  hit with a mallet then tight it up.. I never liked the ring crimp version Good Luck with your project

It’s not quite pex . Those brass Gator(?) unions they have at Lowes will work with it.

As a plumber and hvac guy by trade your best bet is to start from scratch.

pex-a is the kind that expands over the fitting and shrinks back over the top. I liked this the best and it’s what I ran in my house.

pex b/c can use the crimp ring style, fitting slides into pex and ring makes the seal.

id stay away from pvc underneath....and definitely not for the hot water. I’ll take some pictures in a little bit about the expansion kind 

7 minutes ago, zleinenbach said:

As a plumber and hvac guy by trade your best bet is to start from scratch.

pex-a is the kind that expands over the fitting and shrinks back over the top. I liked this the best and it’s what I ran in my house.

pex b/c can use the crimp ring style, fitting slides into pex and ring makes the seal.

id stay away from pvc underneath....and definitely not for the hot water. I’ll take some pictures in a little bit about the expansion kind 

You dont understand..... I dont like my in laws nearly that much 😬  it's getting fixed with the taillight warranty. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
1 hour ago, nc1112 said:

This is the dreaded poly butyl pipe.  It is a lot different than pex in a few ways.  There was a big class action lawsuit some years back.  Get rid of it if you can.  If that's not feasible they make adapters.   

Had a single wife trailer back about thirty years ago. Came home one night from work and found water running out of it. One of the joints had blown apart in the wall and pumped around 15,000 gallons of water in the house.

22 minutes ago, Missouri Mule said:

You dont understand..... I dont like my in laws nearly that much 😬  it's getting fixed with the taillight warranty. 

Ha! Two part guarantee—-if it breaks you get both parts!

• Like 1

I helped out a freind 8-10 years ago with a plumbing issue in a double wide with that same weird pex. We ended up using an expand pex fitting with a brass crimp ring. It hasn’t failed yet that I know of. When I install pex it’s all expansion since it’s faster and more water flow then crimp.  

Back in 91 I used a grey pipe for floor heat in my farrowing barn, it was called QUEST pipe. That might be the stuff you are dealing with. It works fine for me and is still good, but pex is much nicer. The quest used compression fittings.

In a pinch we used sharkbites to join onto the PB pipe and 5 years later no leaks. One of the big problems with the gray pipe is that over time it becomes brittle and usually breaks near a fitting.  Had one earlier this spring where the pipe broke directly behind the shutoff making a mess.

maybe if you got new inlaws you wouldnt have to fix the pipe? 

i taught myself how to plumb with pex, im google certified, i used the copper rings and a squeeze type thing to crimp them, worked great so i would recommend doing it right on whatever piece that needs replaced and let the rest go 

Pex is cheap.  Run all new lines, no joints below the floor, individual line for each attachment, Shutoffs on every line beneath the fixtures, all lines connected to pex manifolds with individual line shut offs. One for hot one for cold.  A shutoff before the manifolds on the line from the pump.  My tool is one of those plate steel things with multiple holes pulled tight by 5/16 bolts. I run a half inch socket on my 1/4 inch dewalt  impact.  Goes pretty fast and never have to go in the crawl space again.  If it costs your in-laws enough for materials, they'll get someone else next time. cab

You poor bugger

7 hours ago, nc1112 said:

Yep, sounds like it.  And as another guy mentioned it’s probably Quest

like the old adage you have the choice of cheap, fast or good, you are not going to get all three

cheap probably isn’t going to happen with a freeze up. Fast would be shark bite and won’t be cheap. Good would be new lines and won’t be fast.  You might find fittings on Amazon or some other online store

The trouble with that job is that if it breaks again you'll get the blame even if it's something you never touched. Lose-lose. Run  new if you can then you'll never have to go back. They probably won't appreciate it.

Looky here. Pex to butyl adapter. 🤔

I think it busted in at least 3 places under there. All of the places were pvc, and pex went back where I could. I'm not laying under that thing for days on end with that fiberglass insulation falling over me to re plumb the whole house. Ain't happening..... .They bought the place they can deal with it. I have much bigger fish to fry and that's that. Easy to sit back and say start from scratch but nobody offered to help 😎

Screenshot_20200815-075548_Samsung Internet.jpg

My house was built in 99 they used Ipex which is triple wall, inner and outer plastic with an aluminum layer in between.

Apparently the company went under after a class action law suit about the fittings developing pin holes.

So the 1/2 size has the same id and od as Pex so you can get fittings for it but the 3/4 and larger has different id.

Had a leak on the other end of the house from the feed in from the well and there wasn't a shut off on the 3/4 main at that side of the house.

Lucky the plumbing supply house that used to carry it had a box of misc fittings left over and they let me have a shut off valve.

Got lucky there but some time down the line that 3/4 feed will need to replaced with the currently sold Pex and fittings.   

1 hour ago, Missouri Mule said:

Looky here. Pex to butyl adapter. 🤔

I think it busted in at least 3 places under there. All of the places were pvc, and pex went back where I could. I'm not laying under that thing for days on end with that fiberglass insulation falling over me to re plumb the whole house. Ain't happening..... .They bought the place they can deal with it. I have much bigger fish to fry and that's that. Easy to sit back and say start from scratch but nobody offered to help 😎

Screenshot_20200815-075548_Samsung Internet.jpg

Perfect.  Good luck with the job

14 hours ago, 1466fan said:

Had a single wife trailer back about thirty years ago.

Would hate to try to fit more than one................................................................

Sorry, going to be one of those days for me, I can tell😬

• Haha 2
1 hour ago, sandhiller said:

Would hate to try to fit more than one................................................................

Sorry, going to be one of those days for me, I can tell😬

Lol. Stupid auto correct got me again. 

• Haha 2