Yee-Haw! The power is on!

I about went stir crazy with no internet! Not that I've had time to look much.

Power was out about 4 days at my house in town, still out at the farm. They are in the neighborhood, should be on tonight or tomorrow.

• Like 8

We have been out since Monday at 11:30 AM.  Running the generator 16 hours a day between the 2 farms. So ready for the electricity to be restored when I arrive home this evening!

20200811_112054.jpg

• Like 4

One of the things most taken for granted in this day and age, electric power. Never give it a thought until we don't have some!

• Like 3

The energy company brought in a temporary generator, got it all hooked and won't start. We have been out since Monday and if the generator doesn't run it could be several days yet.Still have lines that need repaired before whole town powered. Tree cutting service is using a crane to lift trees off of houses. The tree damage is unbelievable. 

20200814_131231.jpg

20200814_131224.jpg

20200814_130938.jpg

20200814_122125.jpg

• Sad 4
3 hours ago, nepoweshiekfarmalls said:

We have been out since Monday at 11:30 AM.  Running the generator 16 hours a day between the 2 farms. So ready for the electricity to be restored when I arrive home this evening!

20200811_112054.jpg

How bad is the tree damage at your place Aaron?

Inlaws got theirs back last nite, kids are still out.

6 minutes ago, DT Fan said:

How bad is the tree damage at your place Aaron?

Lost several trees and the tops off many more.  One took out a grain bin,  another a section of cattle lot fence.  Cleaned up everything easilly accessible.  Rest can wait.  One shed door off the track.  We were lucky compared to most. Have some corn flattened in places.

• Like 2

I received a call from my wife earlier today.  The power came on about 1 PM.  It was out for 8 days 1 1/2 hours.  The 544 ran the generator for 16 hours a day the entire time.   We filled the fuel every evening,  it was never empty.   Used 3 quarts of oil.  I think it deserves an oil and filter change and some shed time!

20200811_112028.jpg

• Like 6

my heart aches for all of you having been through a tornado that took everything from our home/farm where i grew up - mom n dad rebuilt - my sister put a modular at gmas place. Its overwhelming to say the least and very stressful. I will continue to pray for all of you !!!

• Like 1

I have a son  in law who is a lineman. He spent two weeks in New York restoring power before being called back to Iowa this week. He has been home six hours in the last three weeks to see his five month old daughter and wife.These guys are giving it there best and I wish them all a safe and quick return from a  bad situation.

• Like 5
6 hours ago, wild one said:

These guys are giving it there best and I wish them all a safe and quick return from a  bad situation.

Absolutely! Around here it's usually blizzards or ice storms that take out the lines. Those guys are out in all sorts of weather and getting a nap in the truck before going back at it.

Friend in town, just retired, said the overtime is great but it's just tough on the body.

2 hours ago, New Englander said:

Absolutely! Around here it's usually blizzards or ice storms that take out the lines. Those guys are out in all sorts of weather and getting a nap in the truck before going back at it.

Friend in town, just retired, said the overtime is great but it's just tough on the body.

X2, If anybody deserves 'Hero-Pay' it's the linemen.

• Like 3

Had an ice storm a few years ago, and spent 13 days, (and nites), feeding the generator.

Will never complain about the cost of 'bought' power again...:huh:

Mike

• Like 2
30 minutes ago, DT Fan said:

X2, If anybody deserves 'Hero-Pay' it's the linemen.

They get it.

They deserve it, and they get it.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, mikem said:

Had an ice storm a few years ago, and spent 13 days, (and nites), feeding the generator.

Mike

Exactly.  We’ve had ice and snow take out the lines and had to run a 1066 for 3.5 days, non stop, keeping the milk cool,  wells pumping and heat on. About 3 gallons an hour. 

4 hours ago, mikem said:

Mike

You don't have to generate your own very long to realize how cheap the 'bought-en' stuff is!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
4 hours ago, stronger800 said:

Exactly.  We’ve had ice and snow take out the lines and had to run a 1066 for 3.5 days, non stop, keeping the milk cool,  wells pumping and heat on. About 3 gallons an hour. 

I definitely understand not wanting to feed a generator but 3 gph on the 1066 don't really seem too bad.