I have been thinking of getting a home defense shotgun lately.  That and for other predators that lurk in the night. At the local store they have a few rock island armory shot guns for around $200. The salesman wasnt in any big hurry to show me one so here I am. Yay or nay? Any other recommendations? 

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Mossberg 500 or Rem 870.  Dead reliable.  Can be bought cheap secondhand.

No one ever mentions the fact that your already at a disadvantage when there’s a threat standing in your house while your sleeping .  Now don’t get me wrong neither myself or my wife who is in law e

I will add a Vote for the Rem 870. Find an older used one if you can. I feel like the older ones are made a little better than a new one but I also believe that to be true for almost any gun out there

Posted Images

I've been interested in these Churchill Edition shotguns. Apparently they're used up north here in MB to protect against polar bears. I tried one out a while back, nice and short and cycled fairly smooth, just didn't see the need for it at the time. I think it would be a handy little unit though

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/107492/churchill-12-gauge-pump-action-shotgun

Churchill Pump Shotgun Standard Stock - 12GA, 2-3/4" or 3", 12 ...

• Like 1

Ithaca 37 with slug barrel 

reasonable price and can load on the fly with out getting your finger hung up on the loading ramp :rolleyes:

uses 2 loading rods vs a loading ramp.

also has only 1 opening for loading the tube and ejection port,,cant get junk hung up in it and end up jambed.

Mike

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, new guy said:

I vote Remington 870 also. If the sound if the pump doesn't stop them the 1st shot surely will. Dead nuts reliable with 2 3/4" shells.

agreed, or a double barrel like john wayne had - it fit in the shower with him and kilt that fella right thru the doors 

• Like 2

I nominate 97 Winchester.  When you rack one of them old girls the bad guys will leave!

• Like 2

Rock island armory is Armscor.....all overseas. 

I run a 20" Mossberg,  but would be just as happy with similar 870.....

Mossberg has cheaper Maverick line, but you lose the tang safety.....I paid for the tang safety 

• Like 1

I bought a new Remington 870 pump action for home defense earlier this past Spring. I am happy with it. Had it out a few times to clay shoots this summer at the events ranch where I work. I’m thinking about ordering the shorter barrel for it to put on it. Might be better that way for use inside the house if needed. Hope it never comes to that, having to confront someone who has broken in to the house, but I’d rather have something available. 

• Like 1

This one lives next to my bed ready to go, empty chamber of course. The first round is bird shot, then the rest are slugs. If the sound of me racking the first one in doesn't get an intruders attention, the shot will. Then the slug will stop them period. Hopefully I will never have to use it

20200813_174717.jpg

• Like 1
49 minutes ago, Mr. Plow said:

Rock island armory is Armscor.....all overseas. 

I run a 20" Mossberg,  but would be just as happy with similar 870.....

Mossberg has cheaper Maverick line, but you lose the tang safety.....I paid for the tang safety 

Yep. My first read said they were in Nevada but they dont build them there. I like 870s too. I'm not much for going to the city. It would've been nice if they had one made in the USA. Theres a few other shops close by I may check in. I mainly looking for something that wont reach out to my neighbors if I have to use it. 

I will add a Vote for the Rem 870. Find an older used one if you can. I feel like the older ones are made a little better than a new one but I also believe that to be true for almost any gun out there. The double barrel is cool but everyone can see how many shots you have. A normal pump gun holds 5 without a plug in it. With plug holds 3. Below is my go to 870. Of all my shotguns I go to this one first. Purchased well used several years ago. 12 gauge wingmaster. It had some rust on it and wasn’t pretty. Lots of WD-40 and a good internal checkup and here it sits. Rock solid reliable and could double as a boat paddle. (Probably was one in an earlier life). 

CBB53A25-C1A9-4C03-856A-9080BB861ABE.jpeg

• Like 6
1 hour ago, new guy said:

I vote Remington 870 also. If the sound if the pump doesn't stop them the 1st shot surely will. Dead nuts reliable with 2 3/4" shells.

That's my go to home defense weapon after that its my sig 45 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, TN Hillbilly said:

On a USN warship the primary anti personnel weapon was the .45 ACP followed by pump action 12 gauge buckshot when I was on active duty. Mossbergs and Remingtons were all I ever was issued from the armory.

• Like 2

The noise of racking a Mossberg 500 should scare anyone. The 870 is just as reliable. My son just qualified on boarding shotgun and the CG uses an 870 short barrel pistol grip. He and I used to shoot skeet together and he commented that it would be useless for that but really good in close quarters. The range and drill they use is mostly shooting from the hip unless there's time to point.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, TN Hillbilly said:

can be bought cheap firsthand too, 

I have a Remington Tac-14, and I bought dad a Mossberg Shockwave, a friend was looking into the bargain basement variety, ill say to you what I said to him, 

if you want to save money, cut out a trip for coffee in the morning or buy the store brand oatmeal, if you really intend to defend your home and your life, buy a good quality shotgun, its not worth saving 100 Bucks to have the thing fail in the heat of the moment. id rather have a 400 dollar shotgun that a 200 dollar club because it was a good deal. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I got lucky. Winchester’97 riot. Staggered buck and slugs. And it will feed shorties.

• Like 1

kinda out of stock a lot, but they come back often

https://palmettostatearmory.com/remington-870-tac-14-12ga-pump-shotgun-81230.html

https://palmettostatearmory.com/mossberg-590-shockwave-12ga-shotgun-50659.html

I buy from palmetto a lot, usually AR stuff but they are a good company to deal with

• Like 1
1 minute ago, exSW said:

I got lucky. Winchester’97 riot. Staggered buck and slugs. And it will feed shorties.

Like an 1897 that feeds 2-5/8” shorties?

I had one cut down to 18-/2” barrel once and tapped for tubes. Had to lengthen the forcing cone to accept 2-3/4” shells.