Neighbor needs prayers - what they think happened ....

1 hour ago, TP from Central PA said:

Seen he pulled on Saturday I believe it was, maybe it was sunday(They sort of blurred together for me)...............Looks to be in good spirits in the picture.

Yes he made it down there and pulled. Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to make it to the pulls. He might have pulled Saturday and Sunday I am not sure what weight classes he was in. I saw him come in the road in the passenger seat. 

Yuck , recovery, I briefly looked at photo. So sad , nothing worse than burns recovery ,it going to be a long and painful one. 🙏

I swung by today as he was in the edge of the garage sitting. He is in some pain but seems like he is in good spirits. He asked me how a large amount of gasoline could have gotten in the motor oil. I told him I would only think it was possible if the carburetor drain was plugged and then the needle stuck open. I have not heard of this before but it sounds like what happened. If it's from a cylinder not firing it would be not much gas very  fast .

He said it was coming out of the breather tube of the tractor. And it makes sense why it was so flammable up at the valve cover area if there was gas mixed in the oil. His tank was close to empty from my guess by how what was burning at what rate when we tried to put it out

This is a question to everyone, do you all keep extinguishers handy to your work areas? I don't weld, and have no torches, but I do work and access gas and diesel vehicles and propane burning apparatus, I've got them outside, in the truck, in the camper and my work areas, I'm not saying it will stop something from going south but the ones I have would put a big dent in any scenario, just askin not preachin.

• Like 1

I missed this, prayers sent to him! And family!

30 minutes ago, Dasnake said:

This is a question to everyone, do you all keep extinguishers handy to your work areas? I don't weld, and have no torches, but I do work and access gas and diesel vehicles and propane burning apparatus, I've got them outside, in the truck, in the camper and my work areas, I'm not saying it will stop something from going south but the ones I have would put a big dent in any scenario, just askin not preachin.

I am reevaluating the fire extinguisher scenario. We have two 20 lb ones in the shop one each side of the big door. There's also 5 of the 5 lb ones in the shop . We also have a big one at the dairy. We need some more. One in each tractor except we need in both MX Magnums. We have one in the Steiger, chopper, and sp mower also. 

Never heard of too many

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, bitty said:

I swung by today as he was in the edge of the garage sitting. He is in some pain but seems like he is in good spirits. He asked me how a large amount of gasoline could have gotten in the motor oil. I told him I would only think it was possible if the carburetor drain was plugged and then the needle stuck open. I have not heard of this before but it sounds like what happened. If it's from a cylinder not firing it would be not much gas very  fast .

He said it was coming out of the breather tube of the tractor. And it makes sense why it was so flammable up at the valve cover area if there was gas mixed in the oil. His tank was close to empty from my guess by how what was burning at what rate when we tried to put it out

a new 656 carb has a solenoid in the bowl to shut off the gas when the key is off. I have 5 656 gas, I think only 2 or maybe 3 still have a functioning solenoid. Most get a plug put in or the needle valve is gutted when the solenoid gives up. First time I have heard of that disaster happening. Maybe a good time to rethink replacing the missing solenoids. They are pricy ($102), but not compared to your friend's costs.

• Like 3
9 hours ago, ny bill o said:

a new 656 carb has a solenoid in the bowl to shut off the gas when the key is off. I have 5 656 gas, I think only 2 or maybe 3 still have a functioning solenoid. Most get a plug put in or the needle valve is gutted when the solenoid gives up. First time I have heard of that disaster happening. Maybe a good time to rethink replacing the missing solenoids. They are pricy ($102), but not compared to your friend's costs.

So how would gas get into the crank case?  I am NOT familiar with a x56 but we have a 464g and if it leaked fuel it is below the intake so it drips out of air intake tube.  

Super bad rings in a cylinder and a dead plug?  Hed of noticed that...  pray he does okay.  But I would like to grasp what happened.