IH 7488 4WD Tractor Front End

On 8/13/2020 at 7:11 AM, DirtBoyz07 said:

If it¬†only had that center section ūüė≥ dang !! That thing would be in my shed bolted up to the IH powershift , Super 70 series powershift ūüĎćūüėé

Danny

If anybody could make you one I am pretty sure this guy could do it . He is the person who built the Case 150 HP Steamer one part at a time with parts he manufactured . He is in Webster , SD .

https://anderson-industries.com/

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The Russians reverse-engineered every single part of a B-29 and built a fleet of hundreds of Tu-4 bombers.  Anything is possible if you have time, monies, and willpower. Might not hurt if you hav

If it only had the rear cast iron hinge/cover that bolted to the clutch housing....if only. 

Your not kidding really the hinging is the big sticking point. To be honest. If there's a way. It would be cool to put a Magnum back end on it. A Super 70 series powershift. That would be cool to

Posted Images

So is the rear hinge the component that bolts onto the case that has the Model/Serial tag on J-Mech’s last picture?  Looks to me like the two drive shafts merely pass through it.  Are there even bearing carriers in it or are they in the case behind it?  Don’t know why I am so intrigued by this deal, I just am.  Would be real satisfying to see a 2+2 Magnum I guess. 

1 hour ago, Gearclash said:

So is the rear hinge the component that bolts onto the case that has the Model/Serial tag on J-Mech’s last picture?  Looks to me like the two drive shafts merely pass through it.  Are there even bearing carriers in it or are they in the case behind it?  Don’t know why I am so intrigued by this deal, I just am.  Would be real satisfying to see a 2+2 Magnum I guess. 

There are bearing carriers in it.

You can look up the parts pictures on the Case I website.  Or, you could last I looked.  Nothing available, but the pictures were still there. 

Somebody had a post on here about the ones they knew of. The one sold here in North Dakota popped up 4 or 5 years ago nobody knew about. It is in the collection in Indiana or Illinois know. Maybe 3 or 4 unaccounted for yet

Another thing is don’t count on any numbers being right. Look at the 73,75 , 7788. Seems there was a extra one made. Nobody has ever said why there were 2 number on serials of what was it the 7588.

1 hour ago, J-Mech said:

There are bearing carriers in it.

You can look up the parts pictures on the Case I website.  Or, you could last I looked.  Nothing available, but the pictures were still there. 

Probably gone now with CNH expunging all the NLA parts on the website. 

The Russians reverse-engineered every single part of a B-29 and built a fleet of hundreds of Tu-4 bombers.  Anything is possible if you have time, monies, and willpower.

Might not hurt if you have a Gulag for underperforners, too....

• Like 2
  • Haha 4
8 hours ago, clay neubauer said:

The Russians reverse-engineered every single part of a B-29 and built a fleet of hundreds of Tu-4 bombers.  Anything is possible if you have time, monies, and willpower.

Might not hurt if you have a Gulag for underperforners, too....

They also kind of reverse engineered a m, 400, 560 into a minsk or Belarus tractor.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, JD Humm said:

Did Raba build that entire assembly for IH or was that assembly built in the IH assembly line??  

If that part is/was the equivalent to the Transfer case used on the 3388/3588/3788 and 6388/6588/6788, I bet plans were to make it complete, ready to bolt-on from the Louisville machine shop, they made all the earlier 2+2 transfer cases. As the 2+2 production schedule increased, originally they claimed 8 per shift, an hour each, but the highest build I remember was 42/day, 21 per shift on 2 shifts, they HAD to shut down at least 4 hours per day. And LVL was never able to keep up when the schedule increased. LVL would work weekends, holidays, then a machine would break down, LVL shipped several truck loads of castings, a load of forgings, and a mixed load of machined parts, forgings and castings, plus they had a 2-man team that ran from LVL to FARMALL daily with whatever was promised but not shipped every day, and it arrived around 10 AM, BIG TransStar 2 and 45 ft box trailer with IH six feet high on both sides.  About Noon the guys got antsy and left for LVL. And most days my Boss made LVL ship one or two transfer cases via air charter at LVL's expense, and any other part he thought he needed.

Yeah, LVL would have made that part complete. Poured the castings, forged the gears and shafts, machined and heat-treated everything. Even had the AIRPORT right there to fly them to FARMALL. 

When I got laid off the last time, my boss who was neighbors was the initiator of lots of air charters, and he knew when I was home, and that I had a pickup. I picked parts up at the Moline airport several times, he made sure I got $20 cash from the air charter co.

• Like 1

I would imagine that since the front axle for the Super 70 series came from Raba(Hungary), the axle would more or less come to Farmall ready to install...that's the way it was up in Fargo when Steiger used Raba axles years ago. From there it was installed right in to the front chassis of the tractor, just like this one.

My question is....how did this unit get out of Farmall in one piece? The way this skid looks like, it just about had to be on the assembly line when IH sold the ag line to Tenneco. Didn't the boys from Case more or less come in and sabotage/destroy everything on the assembly line at Farmall for the 70 series after the sale of IH ag?  Weren't the only ones actually built a preproduction run of machines for IH  to have for demonstrations at all the farm shows as well as dealer introductions (19 7288s and 17 7488s IIRC) in the fall of 1984? Its not like you could have done a Johnny Cash and taken it out of the plant one piece at a time in your lunchbox.

Also, wasn't there a salvage yard around the Quad Cities that had 100/200 front axles for 70 series tractors for several years? Seemed like someone on here said years ago that those were finally destroyed. IIRC, they were not for sale to the public, either

Doc. its truly amazing when you say production of the 2+2 had to be ramped up to 42 tractors per day. That had to have been in 1979 when they were just introduced. When they were replaced by the 60 Series 2+2s in 1981-82, those numbers had to have been sharply curtailed as the ag economy went south by then. I don't recall total production of the 60 Series 2+2s, but I would venture to guess the entire 60 series production could have been built in just one month at Farmall at that rate.

• Like 2

The owner purchased this front axle to install under the 3588 that is on this same auction. I used to work with his brother back in the late 80's at a Case IH dealership. Dealerships were able to bid on left over production pieces and hardware. I remember breaking down axles and  transmissions for the parts department to sell as new/used. Dad and I ended up buying four pallets of left over nuts and bolts from the end of a production run. As i recall, there was quit a few parts built for the Super 70's series that never made it to the production line and was sold off to dealers. There might be one under the 3588 already or maybe he never did the change due to mounting issues. About eight years ago I was looking to purchase a 5488 and right on the transmission had a plate stating "experimental - no parts available". Probably was a test tractor that was sold off to dealers after the merger.

Thanks

• Like 2

Yes--Milan Surplus just east of the Mississippi had a whole stack of RABA Axles that they said were for "new IH tractors" that never got built.   They also had a stack of the rear fuel tanks, similar to the 86 series tanks but not the same.  I bought one to use as a rinse tank--its still sitting out back. 

Too bad that place is long gone.   Liked to go browse.

• Like 1

SOLD! 

Going to Wisconsin.¬† Anyone want to say who outbid me and bought it?¬†ūüėČ

Congratulations to whoever it was.  You got a rare piece for a great price. 

• Like 3
On 8/18/2020 at 9:41 AM, Jeff-C-IL said:

Yes--Milan Surplus just east of the Mississippi had a whole stack of RABA Axles that they said were for "new IH tractors" that never got built.   They also had a stack of the rear fuel tanks, similar to the 86 series tanks but not the same.  I bought one to use as a rinse tank--its still sitting out back. 

Too bad that place is long gone.   Liked to go browse.

Yep, was quite the place. On Black Friday when my wife and my tractor show buddy's wife went shopping my buddy and I started our day's activities at Milan Surplus,  yep, quite the wall of RABA axles they had, I counted them once, was around 200.

2 hours ago, DOCTOR EVIL said:

Yep, was quite the place. On Black Friday when my wife and my tractor show buddy's wife went shopping my buddy and I started our day's activities at Milan Surplus,  yep, quite the wall of RABA axles they had, I counted them once, was around 200.

That's a real shame. With that many it would easily get profitable to set up and produce a kit for adding to a Magnum or something like that..... 

1 hour ago, J-Mech said:

So, what happened to Milan?  They still there? 

Sounds like they are gone . 

Just thinking out loud here, but surely there's a blueprint of some sort, somewhere, of the transfer case housing for a Super 70.  I have no doubt one could be cast or machined out with the correct specs.  Or maybe that's the biggest issue, that blueprint is lost.....

4 minutes ago, IH6588 said:

What did it sell for?  I can't get on the auction site to see the price.

$2900