IH 7488 4WD Tractor Front End

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The Russians reverse-engineered every single part of a B-29 and built a fleet of hundreds of Tu-4 bombers.  Anything is possible if you have time, monies, and willpower. Might not hurt if you hav

If it only had the rear cast iron hinge/cover that bolted to the clutch housing....if only. 

Your not kidding really the hinging is the big sticking point. To be honest. If there's a way. It would be cool to put a Magnum back end on it. A Super 70 series powershift. That would be cool to

Posted Images

4 hours ago, J-Mech said:

If it only had the rear cast iron hinge/cover that bolted to the clutch housing....if only. 

2 hours ago, jass1660 said:

Fabrication skills.....

It's a whole lot closer to something then nothing is .....

6 minutes ago, bitty said:

It's a whole lot closer to something then nothing is .....

Your not kidding really the hinging is the big sticking point.

To be honest. If there's a way. It would be cool to put a Magnum back end on it. A Super 70 series powershift. That would be cool to see.

• Like 3
44 minutes ago, Reichow7120 said:

Your not kidding really the hinging is the big sticking point.

To be honest. If there's a way. It would be cool to put a Magnum back end on it. A Super 70 series powershift. That would be cool to see.

X2 7150 rear end and engine

• Like 1

If it only had that center section 😳 dang !! That thing would be in my shed bolted up to the IH powershift , Super 70 series powershift 👍😎

Danny

• Like 3
9 hours ago, J-Mech said:

51 minutes ago, DirtBoyz07 said:

If it only had that center section 😳 dang !! That thing would be in my shed bolted up to the IH powershift , Super 70 series powershift 👍😎

Danny

Hmmmmmmmm.  There is a guy in Matlock IA that can make iron castings . . . 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, DirtBoyz07 said:

Danny

Maybe the seller has it... and thought it was just some sort of casting.... you never know!  Next question, where did the seller find that??

1 hour ago, DirtBoyz07 said:

Danny

Finney can build anything!!

• Like 2
37 minutes ago, Nebraska1206 said:

Makes you wonder how many others like that are floating around........like down in Kansas, maybe???🤔

Matt, you sure you don’t have something like that around there from the days of Hesse Inc?  They had everything else down there when I was there 15 years ago or so. Still boggles my mind when I think about how much odd stuff they had around there at that time. Truly amazing. 

Is there some particular reason that the rear part of the hinge has to be cast?  Anybody have a picture of that rear hinge? I got to thinking it may be possible to make it as a steel weldment, have the raw weldment normalized for better strength and to prevent residual stress cracks from the welding, then do whatever machining that would be required. 

28 minutes ago, Gearclash said:

Is there some particular reason that the rear part of the hinge has to be cast?  Anybody have a picture of that rear hinge? I got to thinking it may be possible to make it as a steel weldment, have the raw weldment normalized for better strength and to prevent residual stress cracks from the welding, then do whatever machining that would be required. 

It would most definitely be able to be made from plates welded together and machined to work. It would be time consuming to figure it out but then it would be fairly easy to make

• Like 1
1 hour ago, SDman said:

Matt, you sure you don’t have something like that around there from the days of Hesse Inc?  They had everything else down there when I was there 15 years ago or so. Still boggles my mind when I think about how much odd stuff they had around there at that time. Truly amazing. 

The vast majority of that stuff is long since gone.  I never got to see any of this, and I have no idea where it went.  I don't know if Bill & Mike retained any of that stuff, or have since sold it off?  Granted, its been 14(?) years now.

• Like 1

There would be a lot to building that hinge point , , gears , shafts , it would take someone with the equipment and a donor tractor for a pattern .

Danny 

• Like 3
7 hours ago, DirtBoyz07 said:

There would be a lot to building that hinge point , , gears , shafts , it would take someone with the equipment and a donor tractor for a pattern .

Danny 

Just need a good 3d printer😀

• Haha 2

As of right this moment, isn't the current bid $80??

Here are some pics of the hinge point that would be needed.  If someone on here owns this tractor, I took these pics at a show last summer in Rantoul, Il.  

1223640553_IH7288Rare002.thumb.jpg.1148dc1223d31eb252be0cf4a706de97.jpg939314126_IH7288Rare003.thumb.jpg.a4f9b940b75fcf8381e7a7843f8daadd.jpg721783210_IH7288Rare004.thumb.jpg.2d7aa883e2ca83e2aede13684bfb57a5.jpg761391151_IH7288Rare007.thumb.jpg.bafee57b59affdb4f759f7e234f2d2d1.jpg

So by looking at the above pictures the hinge on the super 70s isn't a transfer case like on the 30 and 60 series? 

Does anybody know the story on this.front half? What happened to the rest of the tractor? Of the few super 70s built how many are accounted for today?

The add is misleading.. It's not a case IH. It should be INTERNATIONAL 7488, correct??   I wonder the same thing, what happened to the rest of the tractor

2 hours ago, TractormanMike.mb said:

So by looking at the above pictures the hinge on the super 70s isn't a transfer case like on the 30 and 60 series?

Correct. The 5x88 series was a whole new transmission.  If you got a FWA the front driveshaft came out the front of the transmission like normal. The super 70's ran the front axle from the same spot.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, TractormanMike.mb said:

Does anybody know the story on this.front half? What happened to the rest of the tractor?

More than likely this was salvaged by a test facility, or possibly a dealer or even a large farm.  Remember that the Cade boys had all the Super 70's scrapped that were in the middle of production, along with finished undelivered ones.  If someone found out what iron yard was dismantling them, I'm sure pieces could be bought.  But my bet is this one is from a test tractor that was disassembled for inspection. 

The way that the Case boys had things cut up and destroyed is what really upset me, and a lot of other people.  Such disdain and disrespect for the brand... but so happy to relable the engineering masterpiece tractor, the Magnum, as their own.  

3 hours ago, TractormanMike.mb said:

Of the few super 70s built how many are accounted for today?

As far as I know, all of the ones sold are still accounted for.  Going off memory, I believe it was 34 in all.  

• Like 1