I saw this today flying at about 10k feet

What are they transporting? 
I watched it with  binoculars. He was going slow so I had a good long look at it . Drew this sketch right away while it was fresh  in my mind . My scale is pretty accurate but the object may have actually been a bit larger then I drew . 

It did not appear to be a military helicopter. AA11EE60-CB3B-42E8-BBD7-9FACCB836A34.thumb.jpeg.e87307413895639e9a31c16373e82d83.jpeg

• Like 1

Is that actual size. We had oilfield guys out here running sizemagraph or however you spell it. The ground vibrators a couple years back and they was picking up the ground sensors and moving them with choppers. 

• Thanks 1

Surprising what they know is underground by just doing density and other tests. Think magnetism is one also. A few years ago 4 maybe they were going to do nuclear waste borehole testing. The site they picked near us was found because of flyover density tests. They knew from previous drilling activity in the 50s that the rock and thin oil layer was not 7000 feet and had a idea rock was thick in area. The state people were at meetings about this . They explained all the testing processes they employed. The biggest thing out in the oil patch was when an iffy permit was applied for. They might approve one fora company. But in return the driller had to go a few extra feet and give state samples of the deep bedrock. They knew exactly what is underneath without looking to hard. 

• Thanks 1

This doesn't help with what you saw!

Years agone we had a Catalina waddle into the local airport on magnetometer surveys.  It was explained that it was the only aircraft that could carry the weight of gear at the slow speed needed.

It had been hotrodded with 1600 hp Wrights and bigger propellors.  Comment was the tips were even closer to the pilot's seats and, even with sheet lead on the inside of the skin in that area, noise and vibration were a major issue.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
7 hours ago, KWRB said:

It's related to mineral exploration. I'm not an expert but I met a guy once from Canada who did this for a living. Or his company did this. I don't remember. It was a long time ago and I was distracted...

https://skytem.com/geophysical-surveys/

X2. There has been a lot of mineral exploration going on around me for almost 20 years now. About ten years ago a helicopter carrying an apparatus like you have.pictures flew all over the county for weeks.

• Thanks 1

Another thing people don’t really know was the amount of drilling for core samples in the late 1950s. The Bakken formation as it is called here was almost totally mapped out years ago. They went to outside edges and drilled in grid patterns to find the oil no oil area. They then plugged all the holes and left. A lot of it had to do with military need to know where oil was for next big war.

• Thanks 1

LookS  like a tennis racket

• Haha 1
10 hours ago, KWRB said:

It's related to mineral exploration. I'm not an expert but I met a guy once from Canada who did this for a living. Or his company did this. I don't remember. It was a long time ago and I was distracted...

Winner!!

I googled     “geological mapping helicopter “

and this came up.   It’s almost exactly what I saw. DEE54D35-2D1C-4448-A9F3-4FDE778BE6B4.jpeg.c184aa5f9be2e34339f75207780a9e44.jpeg
here’s some others 

B77B45B8-1B34-4135-964E-D474E9CD5EFD.thumb.jpeg.26824e79071e73dae6f09f641530e72c.jpegA1F6A536-0414-482A-89C3-B4AD1FDDB831.png.b7b3971e2c8714769141400e6ea80af6.png

• Like 1
11 hours ago, KWRB said:

give this man a chicken dinner - we never see stuff like that around here , nuthing here under our ground worth looking for i guess 

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, 1965Dennis said:

Swatter for Minnesota mosquito? 

Others explained it pretty well. Now a big question, what are they looking for?

From the one time I was in MN, I can totally understand this reply.  July 1982

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, searcyfarms said:

give this man a chicken dinner - we never see stuff like that around here , nuthing here under our ground worth looking for i guess 

Battered and fried, please. Unless it's wings. Battered wings are nasty.

I've never seen one in the flesh either. The withdrawal of virtually anything valuable from our dirt in impoverished upstate NY is legislatively forbidden.

"New Yuawk is open for bidniss" [he said as sarcastically as possible is his condescending Andrew Dice Cuomo accent)

• Like 1
2 hours ago, searcyfarms said:

That's what we always thought until about 20 years ago when a local guy was digging out by his Camp and dug up what turned out to be gold.

They are using it in Wisconsin to map the silurian dolemite bedrock.  They are implementing a new set of rules for applying manure with 3', 5', and 20' of soil over bedrock.  You don't have to do ground truthing unless you want to dispute the mapped bedrock layer.  If you want to dispute it they require 1/4 acre bores or remote sensing methods with less ground truthing (but ground truthing still required).

52 minutes ago, TractormanMike.mb said:

That's what we always thought until about 20 years ago when a local guy was digging out by his Camp and dug up what turned out to be gold.

maybe i will hit the end of the rainbow someday - yesterday all i uncovered was a bumble bee nest on the 706 and mower - i had to swat at them with my sweat rag and keep rollin!!! thankfully i didnt get stung this time

• Like 1

Had a neighbor stop by just now, 

said   “ Did you see the drones last night?”

I didn’t  but what a coincidence when the day before I see the mineral exploration Helicopter Fly over. 

Now I’m betting there may be a connection .

• Like 1
6 hours ago, searcyfarms said:

uncovered was a bumble bee nest on the 706 and mower

I found a yellow jacket nest the same way while bush hogging. My wife saw me in road gear trying to escape them and wondered why I was traveling so fast!

Years ago my Iranian room mate, another pilot, hit a nest while mowing the lawn of the house we rented. Swears in Farsi are quite interesting! That was party central house, great times. Anyway, he doused the hole with gas and nearly lost his eyebrows when he torched it off. It was quite satisfying to watch them flying out and burning up.

• Like 1