What are you all using for security systems , i have wifi cameras in my shop and would like to add an outdoor system . I have 110 power all around the farm yard but i know that my wifi won't reach some ares without adding some kind of booster. i am looking for cameras that i can hook up to 110 that would maybe transmit back to a monitor either in the house or shop. Some kind of motion alert that i could set up to trigger after say 11:00 P.M. would be nice also.

The meth heads and dead beats have been hitting people all around me, they tried to steal the neighbors trailer just the other night. Just recording them won't do any good, i would like to be  to be able to catch them in the act at least then i can turn the dogs out.

Not sure if this would work for you or not

Does not require electricity or wifi

Hard to describe in words, the alert tone it makes. the alert for a methhead is slightly different than the alert for a deadbeat. 

1749843190_beartrapbig.jpg.c97837f385aaad5d7c3634b7628032cb.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

I dont have a system but I think i'd like to add one. At least to see who's outside before answering the door, more than what a peephole does.

• Like 1

I run the arlo cameras. They bluetooth back to their base station. Guessing theres several ways to accomplish what you want. The base station hook up via ethernet cable. My cameras work out around 100' from base easily. Never tried to see how far they go but my farthest one has full bars on signal. I use the app on my phone. it sends me alerts etc and I arm/disarm from there. I'm sure you could use a computer as well. 

36 minutes ago, Missouri Mule said:

I run the arlo cameras. They bluetooth back to their base station. Guessing theres several ways to accomplish what you want. The base station hook up via ethernet cable. My cameras work out around 100' from base easily. Never tried to see how far they go but my farthest one has full bars on signal. I use the app on my phone. it sends me alerts etc and I arm/disarm from there. I'm sure you could use a computer as well. 

Same system here. They are WiFi not bluetooth though:). My farthest camera is 325’. No issues. Great system and expandable. I’ve got 12 cameras plus the doorbell. Download the IFFT app and set it up too be able to “Swipe” in order to Arm or Disarm the system. Way faster than opening the Arlo app. 

2 hours ago, sandhiller said:

Hard to describe in words, the alert tone it makes. the alert for a methhead is slightly different than the alert for a deadbeat. 

Your a lucky dog to live where you can see these SOB,s coming for three miles I envy you 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Missouri Mule said:

It's  a damn shame it has come to this, but it is what it is, I still don't lock my house doors let them come in and when the dog gets a hold of them I can finish the job.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, from H to 80 said:

It's  a damn shame it has come to this, but it is what it is, I still don't lock my house doors let them come in and when the dog gets a hold of them I can finish the job.

X2. 

My Red Heeler has never let me down and his bite to trespassers is quite severe.  Ol Red is quiet and sneaky while my wife's three (3) Corgi's are quite noisy but not the guard dog type. I have a NO TRESPASSING sign at the head of the drive and my Heeler takes the message seriously.

I have a friend down the road has had a skunk move into his shop. He had a row of small car engine fly wheels lined up and a young skunk got trapped by them falling over. His attitude was get this over with. Skunk had broken leg did not spray so he put it in a box with food and water. Has become his pet and had a friend or to that hangs around as well. He did get a small spray as he dug into a pile of boxes. Says he has a combination 😵 that will wash it off.

Will keep me from wanting to borough any tools when he is not around.  

• Haha 1
5 hours ago, from H to 80 said:

What are you all using for security systems , i have wifi cameras in my shop and would like to add an outdoor system . I have 110 power all around the farm yard but i know that my wifi won't reach some ares without adding some kind of booster. i am looking for cameras that i can hook up to 110 that would maybe transmit back to a monitor either in the house or shop. Some kind of motion alert that i could set up to trigger after say 11:00 P.M. would be nice also.

The meth heads and dead beats have been hitting people all around me, they tried to steal the neighbors trailer just the other night. Just recording them won't do any good, i would like to be  to be able to catch them in the act at least then i can turn the dogs out.

https://wyze.com/wyze-cam-outdoor.html are great - i have NOT purchased any personally BUT two guys i work with have them - you can watch the cameras 24/7 online on your phone, computer, ipad and smart tv. Oh yes they work great and they even have audio - one guy uses them to baby sit his kids while he is at work has them in the house and monitors them etc....can see everything thing they are doing and hear it also, kinda crazy. 

The other guys has them in his house to talk to his spouse and pets lol. He has one by his front door too to talk to soliciters/ups etc....

works like magic, pops up on his phone or pc when they detect motion 

they are very reasonably priced and some are even motorized - you get 2 wks free cloud storage then it just records over the top so plenty of time to get something saved if you need it for something. 

hope this helps 

Mine either say Winchester or Smith and Wesson, I’m also lucky and live in the middle of nowhere, so nothing ever really happens here.

On 8/12/2020 at 9:00 PM, searcyfarms said:

https://wyze.com/wyze-cam-outdoor.html are great - i have NOT purchased any personally BUT two guys i work with have them - you can watch the cameras 24/7 online on your phone, computer, ipad and smart tv. Oh yes they work great and they even have audio - one guy uses them to baby sit his kids while he is at work has them in the house and monitors them etc....can see everything thing they are doing and hear it also, kinda crazy. 

The other guys has them in his house to talk to his spouse and pets lol. He has one by his front door too to talk to soliciters/ups etc....

they are very reasonably priced and some are even motorized - you get 2 wks free cloud storage then it just records over the top so plenty of time to get something saved if you need it for something. 

hope this helps 

Sounds just like my arlo setup. You can buy 4 cameras with the base station for 400-500.   The 1080p are a little higher but worth it. 

The ONLY Trouble I have or work around and I suspect any of these are the same, there is a 2 second delay from when the camera sees motion to when it starts recording. So for example if you were to place the camera perpendicular to a sidewalk 10'away they would be almost out of the video before it starts recording if they are walking fast. So you have to know that when placing cameras. Cars driving up same way. 

4 minutes ago, Missouri Mule said:

Sounds just like my arlo setup. You can buy 4 cameras with the base station for 400-500.   The 1080p are a little higher but worth it. 

The ONLY Trouble I have or work around and I suspect any of these are the same, there is a 2 second delay from when the camera sees motion to when it starts recording. So for example if you were to place the camera perpendicular to a sidewalk 10'away they would be almost out of the video before it starts recording if they are walking fast. So you have to know that when placing cameras. Cars driving up same way. 

i guess if you are worried about missing something you could just leave them in record mode at all times. That is what they guy that watches his kids at home does. I woudl think you could be selective and possibly have some cameras record full time while others are motion activated. I would also think you could set them to record certain time ranges like you can change the temps on a  thermostat at your house for when you are there or not. Just thinking out loud here I havent done this but as sophisticated as things are these days this seems like easy programming for the User Interface. 

48 minutes ago, Missouri Mule said:

The ONLY Trouble I have or work around and I suspect any of these are the same, there is a 2 second delay from when the camera sees motion to when it starts recording

I use an Optica 105 IP camera.  The firmware with this camera allows me to specify a pre-trigger buffer up to 3 seconds.  That setting  enables capture of the triggering event.  Firmware settings are made through a web browser interface on a PC.  Newer models might come with a phone app to make the changes.  Regardless,  being able to review and adjust firmware settings to detect, record, and transmit motion detection events is a feature I would look for in any IP camera purchase.

On 8/12/2020 at 9:00 PM, searcyfarms said:

hope this helps 

I have the wyze cameras in the shop and they are 110 volt,but all of there outdoor cameras are battery operated. There indoor cameras are great for the money, but i don't want to mess with changing batteries.

2 hours ago, Missouri Mule said:

I hear some systems are like that. My system seems to be recording for a few seconds as a buffer, when nothing is detected, it records the back information to a point just before the movement, and I do have the 1080 ir model. 8 cameras, as its setup now, stores 2.5 weeks recordings before writing over the top of the older info. Could be much longer, but one of my cams is triggered all the time as it points down drive and the highway cars trip it

Mark

I actually have a cloud based security camera on my driveway.    It has its own IP address and video is stored in the camera system controller  and on the cloud, making video  available basically world wide. It is totally a stand alone system and only requires ac/internet connection. Of course it requires a 24/7 internet connection for externally viable video, locally it is WiFi . The not-so  funny story. Had some stuff stolen from the truck, the motion sensing camera was taking pictures of squirrels on the bird feeder, no video of people removing property. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/12/2020 at 5:40 PM, Missouri Mule said:

I looked into these today. I see a lot of negative reviews about battery life. Do you have any issues? Thanks 

I've been considering the Simpli Safe system for my place, anyone here have any experience with them?

9 hours ago, rrr4quality said:

I looked into these today. I see a lot of negative reviews about battery life. Do you have any issues? Thanks 

About 2 years ago the software updated and battery life suffered. Battery life was bad for 3 months until they updated software again. Been really good since. I charge every 5 months or so. I leave most cameras mounted while charging. I’ve had a few different systems. This has been the best wireless system Ive  owned. Buy the Pro 2 with the sealed rechargable battery. Don’t get the ones with the A123 replaceable battery. Those cameras eat batteries. 

• Thanks 1
On 8/12/2020 at 4:12 PM, sandhiller said:

YEARS AGO WE HAD A NEIGHBOR THAT HAD A NICE WATERMELLON PATCH. I THINK THE KIDS FROM TOWN WOULD PETAL THEIR BIKES OUT AFTER DARK. AND STEAL HIS MELLONS. HE PUT A FEW BIG TRAPS AROUND THE PATCH HERE AND THERE. A WEEK WENT BY HE WENT OUT TO CHECK THINGS OUT. ALL HIS TRAPS WERE STOLEN ALONG WITH A BUNCH OF MELLONS. KIDS I THINK

9 minutes ago, farmall666 said:

YEARS AGO WE HAD A NEIGHBOR THAT HAD A NICE WATERMELLON PATCH. I THINK THE KIDS FROM TOWN WOULD PETAL THEIR BIKES OUT AFTER DARK. AND STEAL HIS MELLONS. HE PUT A FEW BIG TRAPS AROUND THE PATCH HERE AND THERE. A WEEK WENT BY HE WENT OUT TO CHECK THINGS OUT. ALL HIS TRAPS WERE STOLEN ALONG WITH A BUNCH OF MELLONS. KIDS I THINK

Mine was definitely meant tongue firmly planted in cheek. 

Would think actually placing traps would be a bit severe. 

Stealing watermelons is a right of passage in some areas and a good way for a young man to start that boy / girl interaction that will drive him crazy the rest of his life. 😁