D282 rebuild

exSW

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, rustred said:

what is wrong with the original bolts? 

They will stretch...........I stretched acouple, but can't remember on what cylinder, top 3 threads towards the head of the bolt were elongated.................Took out the head gasket.  Would not have been a issue had there been more of them. 

3 hours ago, exSW said:

Bolts are cheap compared to time. These engines are known for head gasket issues.

i am very aware of the bolts and head gaskets and have replaced lots of heads and gaskets. when torquing the bolts down you will feel if they are streching. i sure have not run into that problem. i also go 10 lbs. over spec on the retorque also.  i always hear this about the bolts but never run into a problem myself. i do my farming with a 660 and 560 . been around these tractors most of my life. 

1 hour ago, rustred said:

i am very aware of the bolts and head gaskets and have replaced lots of heads and gaskets. when torquing the bolts down you will feel if they are streching. i sure have not run into that problem. i also go 10 lbs. over spec on the retorque also.  i always hear this about the bolts but never run into a problem myself. i do my farming with a 660 and 560 . been around these tractors most of my life. 

Its not when you put them in...............Heating and cooling cycles over use, being re-used a few times most likely to this point, plus when you got the wick turned way up doesn't help.  I had the fuel and RPM's right to mine, original IH bolts stretched and lost the gasket.  After fixing everything after that, turned it back down to just over stock hp and probably won't ever have another issue with it.  

3 hours ago, exSW said:

Not planning on turning the wick up much. But I figure 61 year old head bolts deserve a break.

ha ha , better hope they dont break! it says ih on them how can they break.

1 hour ago, jass1660 said:

Looks like a lot of weight hanging on the end.

That stand isn’t the greatest. But it rotates 360 without issue. Good enough to hold it while I pull the sleeves and get it ready to be tanked and tested.

• 3 weeks later...

These Cat head bolts work for a D188  504 diesel also. Set for my 504 total $49.37 for all 10 bolts.

Built from 1958-1976? 

Gas engine converted to diesel. 

Did its job and sipped fuel !

I've had many but the later engines (68-76) had a better head ,my 1972 656 starts almost without glowplugs .

Know of quite a few that spent their life on feed grinders with 20000+ never had head off.

My grandpas 59 560 had 30000+ and had been through several times , he was a coop double circle oil guy till he bought his 1466 in 1972 . IH no1 30 from then on.

17 hours ago, shot_gun_red said:

Built from 1958-1976? 

Gas engine converted to diesel. 

Did its job and sipped fuel !

I've had many but the later engines (68-76) had a better head ,my 1972 656 starts almost without glowplugs .

Know of quite a few that spent their life on feed grinders with 20000+ never had head off.

My grandpas 59 560 had 30000+ and had been through several times , he was a coop double circle oil guy till he bought his 1466 in 1972 . IH no1 30 from then on.

Got a number for that later head? This engine came out of a 656 Hydro. Just about got my homemade sleeve puller sorted out.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been puttering with this block. Pulled the first two sleeves now #3 is fighting. Got it about 2" and now it's stalled. Stripped the threads on the wrenching nut(grade 8 all thread). No pics this forum doesn't seem to like my new phone. 

3 minutes ago, snoshoe said:

Nut also needs to be grade8. All threaded pullers work better,last longer,lubed with ugl5. What size rod are you useing?

5/8" 11 ,figured I'm going to have to pick up some grade eight nuts. I didn'texpect it to be easy. Especially building my own sleeve puller along the way. 

8 hours ago, exSW said:

I've been puttering with this block. Pulled the first two sleeves now #3 is fighting. Got it about 2" and now it's stalled. Stripped the threads on the wrenching nut(grade 8 all thread). No pics this forum doesn't seem to like my new phone. 

Is the block the light press fit or heavy press fit sleeves? I pulled the light press with a shop built puller with a 5/8 inch threaded rod. They all came out pretty easy.

12 hours ago, snoshoe said:

I completly understand the cost factor. Was just pointing out what engineers deemed necessary. Aware that you might already know but in case you didn't.

On a side note. Overhauled many of those with just a step plate,a broken disc arbor and a 3 pound hammer.

Can't say I haven't thought about it.

11 minutes ago, R190 said:

If you have a sleeve that wont move run a few beads with a arc welder up and down the sleeve DO NOT BURN THROUGH TO THE BLOCK the sleeve will shrink and come out much easier.

The guy that started this teardown did that on the first cylinder then quit. Seemed a little easier pull I may do that next. There's no rush. I'm just pulling the sleeves to have it tanked and tested. Then it's going on the shelf.

Archived