D282 rebuild

exSW

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, exSW said:

Has anyone ever done a soup to nuts thread on rebuilding one of these?

Can you be more specific ? 

5 minutes ago, TP from Central PA said:

Step by step thread on rebuilding one.................

Every time I have one apart I want to throw up, so I don't take any pictures.

I would recommend a good repair manual there's  a lot of good ones that do a good job also  it helps having good mechanical skills  Since its diesel there's alot more to those than a gas engine good luck

34 minutes ago, TP from Central PA said:

This one’s already apart. I know there’s a few specifics like shimming the sleeves to get the proper height above the deck and so on.

from some of the crap they drag into my shop after watching you-tube videos to be fixed I wonder what you can gain by most of them.There is some real winners out there  There are a few really informative ones also.

I don't know of any. I've been thinking about this myself. Since I've dumped a bunch of cash in the 560 recently, been thinking about rebuilding it before adding the turbo. seems a bit spendy... might even be cheaper to go dt360, but I'm not there yet. The 282 treats me pretty well.

1 hour ago, TP from Central PA said:

What's really so bad? Never heard that before. And no I've never had more than the head off one. 

1 hour ago, Missouri Mule said:

What's really so bad? Never heard that before. And no I've never had more than the head off one. 

Between the lack of head bolts and then dropping the pan and seeing the lack of over-building on the bottom end, I get depressed.................wishing it was a D310 built like a brick Sh*T house.

17 minutes ago, TP from Central PA said:

Between the lack of head bolts and then dropping the pan and seeing the lack of over-building on the bottom end, I get depressed.................wishing it was a D310 built like a brick Sh*T house.

Got this one from a guy building a 310. Anybody got a 310/686 plate?

4 hours ago, exSW said:

This one’s already apart. I know there’s a few specifics like shimming the sleeves to get the proper height above the deck and so on.

Yes definitely making sure the sleeves are above deck 2 to 3 thousands also torquing the head bolts correctly and retorquing them on those engines is critical plus the injectors on those can be a pain in the butt other than that they are pretty simple

29 minutes ago, ksfarmdude said:

Yes definitely making sure the sleeves are above deck 2 to 3 thousands also torquing the head bolts correctly and retorquing them on those engines is critical plus the injectors on those can be a pain in the butt other than that they are pretty simple

I’ve heard Cat has a head bolt that crosses. Great head bolts at a good price compared to aftermarket.

6 minutes ago, exSW said:

I’ve heard Cat has a head bolt that crosses. Great head bolts at a good price compared to aftermarket.

Would it be a similar price to go to studs?

i dont know what so hard about them i have rebuilt them from a bare block. very easy to work on. pay close attention to the head . make sure valve protrusion is good and you do the torqueing  is 3 sequences and a final check and then a retorque after running it an hr. an engine is an engine.

8 hours ago, exSW said:

Has anyone ever done a soup to nuts thread on rebuilding one of these?

i have  never done the detailed work, just help take heads off and put back on - replaced a few glow plugs - we owned two and i like others have grown to dislike the 282 hence why you might get some groans here - one was nothing but a headache with head gaskets, had the head off 4x in 2000 hours - frustrating - the other had head reworked at 4000 - was still running good at 5250 when I sent it down the road. I would never own another just too many issues with ours. If you plan on working it hard or pulling it, good luck. I think they would maybe make a good auger tractor or something light duty. 

1 hour ago, exSW said:

Yes, Cat has them..........I have the part numbers someplace, but by the time I dig, someone will put them up.  On mine my brother was having trouble getting the long ones from Cat if I remember right, I ended up putting a set in from Lawson which in their number system is supposed to be on par with Cat's..............So far no issues.  

I guess I can't rail on them too bad, but from a company that built a built a line of great powerplants, that series of engines is depressing compared to the rest.  I had the tail twisted on mine pretty good, had the IH head bolts stretch and I lost the gasket.............After taking the head off, finding the power assemblies in good shape, I put a new gasket on after checking everything, new bolts, plopped the head back on it and set it at 65 hp...............So far no more issues and with 2 group 31's under the hood, big cables, good starter and glow plugs, atleast when a kid walks by with a ice cream cone it will still start................Actually starts really good actually.  

12 minutes ago, searcyfarms said:

i have  never done the detailed work, just help take heads off and put back on - replaced a few glow plugs - we owned two and i like others have grown to dislike the 282 hence why you might get some groans here - one was nothing but a headache with head gaskets, had the head off 4x in 2000 hours - frustrating - the other had head reworked at 4000 - was still running good at 5250 when I sent it down the road. I would never own another just too many issues with ours. If you plan on working it hard or pulling it, good luck. I think they would maybe make a good auger tractor or something light duty. 

I’ve owned the tractor for 30 years. Have zero complaints about 282’s.

Like Tip says group 31’s and good cables and it starts every time. Just picked up a spare engine.

3 minutes ago, exSW said:

I’ve owned the tractor for 30 years. Have zero complaints about 282’s.

Like Tip says group 31’s and good cables and it starts every time.

thats great you have had good luck, one of ours was stock the other was tuned to 706 282 specs - i know they have done a lot of work for folks over the years we did a fair amount but were always antzy waiting for the next time - one of ours was a descent starter the other one was a great starter. Not sure what the difference was or why. 

Murphy's motor service sells the arp stud kit for them, and if I recall, they are $219 plus shipping. Have to know if all long, or long and short head bolts. Only ones I have ever worked on were long and short bolts. I think, seven of each. They are economical engines for light duty hay work, but I think their short comings are in the torque department. I had one in my 560, and a gas in my 666. The 666 had blowby, and still had more power than the 560. Mine never gave my any trouble though, till the bigger pump and turbo hit it.. ??

4 hours ago, Nebraska1206 said:

9S1374 is the Cat p/n for a long D282 head bolt

1D4574 is the Cat p/n for a short D282 head bolt.

That was alot easier than me trying to dig through my papers...............I have had my little one all day since the weekend so I haven't made it to the garage yet anyhow.  

4 hours ago, Nebraska1206 said:

9S1374 is the Cat p/n for a long D282 head bolt

1D4574 is the Cat p/n for a short D282 head bolt.

Thanks. The head from this one is going in first. Then I’ll have it  on hand if I get any nasty surprises when I do the 560’s head gasket. First time I’ve ever had the head off.

Archived