Farmall h repower/ ford 6 cylinder

Just adding I have access to milling machine and lathe also torch welder and sheet metal brake, have experience in fabricating and am certified welder , was wondering if any one made an adapter plate to match engine to bell housing or what might be my options or maybe forget it and just spend money on the existing motor

Original motor would be a lot easier i would think. Im sure somebody somwhere has done it tho. 

Whats going on with the original engine? Is it running and moving and you just wanted to try something different? Or is it stuck or something? 

Motor runs just saw couple of pictures on you tube of h’s with v-8s in them and Some with car transmissions in front of tractor transmission so got to thinking “out of the box “ to build something different that could still be usable around the farmette 

• Like 2

I would investigate a Cummins 4BT if I wanted to repower anything with a HP fit, they are so common that there is probably an adapter kit available.  To keep it all IH you could try a Neuss D179.  This is not a new idea, my long gone Uncle once repowered an Avery A with a Ford flat head 6 back in 1959.  Later he repowered another Avery A with an MGB engine with the original dual carb setup.

It can be done!

About 30 years back, a buddy put a Dodge 225 slant 6 (the leaning tower of power), complete with the 4 speed transmission, on a Farmall M.

Made for a long tractor, but money was short, and parts were at hand.

• Like 1

Thank you all so far for the input, I remember growing up on a dairy farm in northern Illinois a neighbor who had several different tractors with v-8 and car transmissions in them that is all they used until one of the sons took over, saying that, that and the reason a lot have-8s in them was the reason I was looking to install a 6, I will be investigating the international motor , to keep it all ih/ farmall is compelling, with that said could call it a super h6 possibly?

If you are looking for an original type engine, a W4 uses the same engine.

6 hours ago, supermechanic said:

About 30 years back, a buddy put a Dodge 225 slant 6 (the leaning tower of power), complete with the 4 speed transmission, on a Farmall M.

Made for a long tractor, but money was short, and parts were at hand.

My farmer buddy had (probably still has because nothing ever leaves his property)  a swather powered by a Chrysler /6, it used a snowmobile variable pulley transmission, later I discovered that drive method was used in combines before all hydraulic drives. He had good things to say about the swather, worked great but eventually wore out to the point it was not worth fixin.

I would say go for it ! I put a Plymouth six in a F20 years back, was a fun job ! Boy that thing would go down the road ! It also had a Heisler road gear in it, Never did try to open er up way tooooo fast !!!!

Thank you for your input, I have been doing some measuring and some figuring out and don’t think it is going to be a real tough project for this winter, using an electric fan on a thermostat should save some room eliminating the fan, also to add to the steering will be simple ,  frame channels can be fabricated . Moving forward with measurements and calculations, like I said earlier possibly call it a super h 6

On 8/21/2020 at 5:52 AM, augercreek said:

I would say go for it ! I put a Plymouth six in a F20 years back, was a fun job ! Boy that thing would go down the road ! It also had a Heisler road gear in it, Never did try to open er up way tooooo fast !!!!

How did you attach the motor to the trans, redrill  the bell housing?

I just made a new input shaft from the clutch to the F20 transmission. I took the Plymouth transmission input shaft and stubbed a piece of round stock to it , added a chain coupling to it and the F20 shaft. I couldn't use the F20 radiator as it was full of leaks so I used the Plymouth.

• 1 month later...

If I was going that far,  I would sooner put new sleeves and high compression pistons in. If you are looking to use it,  it's kinda a pain in the rear to get a governor setup on a car engine to ever work as well as the old IH governor.  If you are set on a 300, you can use a Hood governor from a wood chipper,  lots of them had 300 Fords for power,  but they are getting pricey and most (governors) are wore out now. I like getting a bit more oomph out of the original powerplants,  but to each his own.  Don't scrap the old engine,  someone will want it. Good luck and take pictures either way. I love the 300, but I think the H engine is better suited to use. Just a note, I had a customer who was using his chipper for a few weeks with a blown up governor,  and a 300 6. When the governor lets go,  it goes to full throttle.  He would start it up at the job and run it wide open,  ungoverned.  Did this for a few weeks.  He eventually became tired of the noise and decided to fix it. The chipper still ran great,  and I put a new (used) governor on. He came back in a few days and complained the chips were bigger than before.  I had to try to explain that I set it to the right rpm, which was about half or less than what it was running ungoverned, so the chips would  be bigger,  it's not turning as fast. That chipper is still running strong today,  4 or 5 years later.  Great engines. 

Thanks for the info, also know that some older Lincoln welders used Ford industrial 6 cylinder motors in them may check that out also, also in talking to many people have found a few people who have bored stroked and reworked the original h motor to get upwards of 50 or 55 horse so that may be an option also

• 3 weeks later...

A 300 6 sounds like an interesting project.  I would like to someday put a 3.3 Cummins into an H.  I know Ed Leaman on the forum has done an adapter plate in the past to put that engine into a small frame IH.