A devastating picture from Iowa yesterday

The corn that isn't broke off will try to stand up again but the weight of the ears might not allow them to get fully upright. My bet is gooseneck corn at best in places with the ear about 8" off the ground. If he has a decent ins adjuster they will just zero out the corn so he can disc it under for the year. Leave it go full term and it will be a mess next year with tons of volunteer corn. At least if he can destroy it now he isn't gonna lose any P&K for next year. He will be out land cost, seed cost, chem cost, and nitrogen cost. Hopefully they bumped up from 75% coverage. Usually isn't too bad to go to 80% but 85% coverage is a fair amount more in my experience.

We all get our cracks at disasters unfortunately.....

• Like 2
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Mother Nature can sure ruin a corn crop. 

Forgot the corn. 

Here's some pictures. Maybe. 

Posted Images

Sad to see,what a mess not only are they going to lose part of there crop but there is no way they will get the bins repaired in time for harvest,unless there insurance moves a lot faster than mine.

• Sad 1
15 minutes ago, from H to 80 said:

Sad to see,what a mess not only are they going to lose part of there crop but there is no way they will get the bins repaired in time for harvest,unless there insurance moves a lot faster than mine.

Even if insurance does move fast. There is no way all these bins can be replaced by harvest. There isn't enough bin kits and crews to go around.

• Sad 2
39 minutes ago, DT Fan said:

I've got some that bad. Farm looks like a war zone. Will post pics when things slow down. 

Sorry to hear that. Just one more problem we didn't need this year. 

• Sad 1

Just checked Craiglist to see what is for sale that i really dont need. Lots of free firewood today and a surprising number of chainsaws suddenly for sale....

• Haha 2
On 8/11/2020 at 8:10 AM, Reichow7120 said:

What are you going to do with that much corn silage?

You have to think that a lot of these farms are strictly grain farms. There hasn't been livestock on them in 25 or more years. Iowa was always bigger on hogs than cattle which corn silage is useless. 

Put it in a temporary bunker and buy some feeders.

The way it is now, without insurance, it`s a total wash. 

But, what do I know. 

Just a suggestion.

• Like 1

Wow, and I thought the tornado we had last week during the hurricane was bad!  It went through the woods at one of my farms and I lost a lot of big timber.  It also went through the corn fields of a couple of farmers I know, but at least the damage was limited to the width of the funnel! 

Man, that wide spread damage would depress anyone!

• Sad 1

We had 80 - 100 mph winds in this storm. I have to drive around piles of branches and take side roads to get to work in Iowa City. I personally have seen the stoplight and railroad crossing light this crazy storm blew down... glad I was not out in this!

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Hawkron said:

We had 80 - 100 mph winds in this storm. I have to drive around piles of branches and take side roads to get to work in Iowa City. I personally have seen the stoplight and railroad crossing light this crazy storm blew down... glad I was not out in this!

Have to be very careful at intersections because of missing signs. Most of the roads are back open and city streets still have a few narrow spots.

• Like 1

our beans were blooming and got flooded with a 4.5 inch rain, its frustrating happens a lot each year in our river bottom ground - i am going to get it signed into CRP next year. We did get 1/2 inch up there yest so maybe what survived will get the mud washed off the blooms. 

I know our beans are nothing compared to what the people are going through so really hate to even mention it. I dont make a living farming just trying to get teh land paid off and cover some costs. 

• Sad 2
23 hours ago, MTO said:

Would a flail chopper suck it up and salvage most?

21 hours ago, TroyDairy said:

No sadly....just plug and wrap

A good flail shredder (“stalk shredder” in this part of the world) would have no problem with down corn green or dry.  To pick it up the shredder would always have to go against the way the stalks are pushed over, and I think it would pick most of it up.  The problem is then what?  Maybe shred it green with a side delivery windowing shredder and follow with a forage harvester and a hay pickup head?  Or if the corn was deemed a  total write off for grain and silage wait until fall, shred it, then rake and bale just to get it off the field.  Bad deal for those involved, I feel for them.  We’ve had to deal with badly goose necked corn for silage and also corn that blew down shortly before grain harvest.  More trouble to harvest and then more bad things happen to the equipment.  

• Thanks 2
7 minutes ago, DT Fan said:

Forgot the corn. 

IMG_0586.JPG

IMG_0609.JPG

IMG_0610.JPG

OUCH!!!! Sorry to see all that Destruction. Hope you recovery in good time. 

• Like 1

In case you didn't know - this storm was classified as a "derecho" A derecho (/dəˈreɪtʃoʊ/, from Spanish: derecho [deˈɾetʃo], "straight") is a widespread, long-lived, straight-line wind storm that is associated with a fast-moving group of severe thunderstorms known as a mesoscale convective system. Derechos can cause hurricane-force winds, tornadoes, heavy rains, and flash floods.

Basically - a hurricane on land instead of water...

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Hawkron said:

In case you didn't know - this storm was classified as a "derecho" A derecho (/dəˈreɪtʃoʊ/, from Spanish: derecho [deˈɾetʃo], "straight") is a widespread, long-lived, straight-line wind storm that is associated with a fast-moving group of severe thunderstorms known as a mesoscale convective system. Derechos can cause hurricane-force winds, tornadoes, heavy rains, and flash floods.

Basically - a hurricane on land instead of water...

yuk, my heart goes out to all of you, we lost everything in 04 at our farm, every building, both houses, everything from 1930ish on that had collected at our farm - killed 3 of our neighbors, you iowa folks probably remember it, some of our stuff landed there and yuo all were gracious enough to mail it back to us. Some traveled over 90 miles - mostly letters/cancelled checks and the like. 

People came from all over, walked everyones property and put things they found into piles. Some pictures were found but not many. Makes me sad so many stories my gma/gpa told me the pix went with them. Mom n Dad rebuilt on our foundation, my sister put up a modular house where gmas was. 

mom, dad, sister were hunkered down in their basement - the good lord kept them safe. 

We were so blessed by all the people that came to help. We didnt have anyone try to loot us or our neighbors. 

• Like 4

WOW!  That is just sickening to see.  If anyone watches Cole the cornstar on youtube he had video of their local coop where the bins were all knocked over but what was amazing to me was that the anchors were pulled right out of the concrete and chunks of the concrete went with it.  Sad deal for all involved.  Almost makes me glad out little farm is rented out and someone else is taking the risk.

• Sad 1
On 8/11/2020 at 9:53 AM, new guy said:

Just checked Craiglist to see what is for sale that i really dont need. Lots of free firewood today and a surprising number of chainsaws suddenly for sale....

See a few generators for sale already too, tho i suspect some are trying to double their money. Some not bad priced tho.