I am picking up a two horse power four row seed drill made in Dayton Ohio in the 1890's. All original and complete. I am not a wood worker nor do I play one on TV. The hand lettering is still visible on the back of the box with a painted mural. Lettering on front of box is harder to read. I was told rubbing linseed oil on the wood will make the lettering more visible. If this is true do I use Boiled Linseed oil or Raw linseed oil or some other product. No intention to restore, just want to preserve.

try each on a small spot out of site and see what happens to the paint.

Mike

2 hours ago, jingles1928 said:

I am picking up a two horse power four row seed drill made in Dayton Ohio in the 1890's. All original and complete. I am not a wood worker nor do I play one on TV. The hand lettering is still visible on the back of the box with a painted mural. Lettering on front of box is harder to read. I was told rubbing linseed oil on the wood will make the lettering more visible. If this is true do I use Boiled Linseed oil or Raw linseed oil or some other product. No intention to restore, just want to preserve.

https://www.naturalhandyman.com/iip/infpai/inflin.html

This should tell you what you want to know.

• Like 1

I used linseed oil for stain and preservation on the wood sideboard/headache racks on my pickup years ago

• Like 1

Won't pick it up until next week, pretty excited. Want to have my ducks in a row before it gets here. Thanx for the input so far.

On 8/11/2020 at 9:20 AM, jingles1928 said:

Won't pick it up until next week, pretty excited. Want to have my ducks in a row before it gets here. Thanx for the input so far.

Having ones ducks in a row is a myth, they won’t walk in an orderly fashion. 

• Haha 1

So......

What is "linds" anyway?  Like is it a tree or a flower?  I know it makes wood look nice and thats it

1 hour ago, TroyDairy said:

So......

What is "linds" anyway?  Like is it a tree or a flower?  I know it makes wood look nice and thats it

Oil from flax seed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Lazy WP  picked up a load of Flax in McClusky ND and is delivering it to Bruning Nebraska( who did I meet today thread).  Is there a processing plant there?

Was on a couple jobs where the last thing done was to seal the concrete deck w/ linseed.

Afterwards your work boots were as soft and smooth as a........ (quitting here as to not offend anyone's personal sensibilities)

5 hours ago, Brent1086 said:

If you thin the linseed oil with mineral spirits it will dry and penetrate much better. Otherwise it will be sticky/ gummy for a week or so

What ratio?

Up to 50/50. Kinda depends on the wood if it is hard i thin it more,softer/drier a little less. Usually around 40/60 mineral spirits to linseed oil. I use boiled

• Thanks 1
13 hours ago, TroyDairy said:

So......

Really? A dairyman? I thought all dairymen had fed linseed meal at one time or another. My FIL used to get it by the semi load for awhile as an ingredient for his grain mix. 

I'll be the spoil sport here. I don't like it for furniture or anything 'nice' the reasons mentioned. It doesn't dry worth a sh**. And just when you think it is dry, you get a humid day and it gets tacky all over again. But having said that, it is great stuff for things that will be out in the weather. Back in the day, most guys around here every fall would put a coat of it on their hay racks and or barge wagons that would be stored outside or had infrequent use.

18 hours ago, Timothy56 said:

Lazy WP  picked up a load of Flax in McClusky ND and is delivering it to Bruning Nebraska( who did I meet today thread).  Is there a processing plant there?

There is a Flax plant there, but after they extrude the oil they mix it right back in with the meal? They make a product called “Go Feed “. Fed as a supplement in pig feed. Supposed to change the fat into Omega 3? We haul Flax in, Go Feed back out, that used to go to Pemberton Minnesota, or Caldwell Idaho. Turn right back around and load Flax back. 

• Like 1