Done with reliance

Overhauling a dt414 here.  Almost didn't go with reliance due to past issues & what I've read on here about them. But I thought maybe they got their issues figured out and ordered a kit & everything else anyways. Go to put the main bearings in & the piston squirters are covered up because the holes are too small in the bearing. 1/8" hole v/s 3/8 hole! Good thing I'm doing this on a stand & not inframe! I guess I'll go get a set from IH today. 

Where is a guy supposed to get these kits from nowadays? OEM is over priced & not the same quality anymore. I talked to maxiforce & the rep says they get their parts from all over & rebox them so I don't trust them. I'm to the point where I don't want to do these jobs anymore? 

20200810_082946.thumb.jpg.12812fca24849499f93f82b9c4823961.jpg

is teh only issue with these the details in the mains or other things? maybe you could rework them and resell the kits and make a lil ? 

25 minutes ago, INTL4300 said:

I may have jumped the gun on the issue. I flipped the bearing over & the holes are countersunk. So I can see how it should work. But still had enough of this aftermarket crap. 

20200810_095719.jpg

I was going to say you're fine with those.  Aftermarket is about your only option unfortunately for hard parts.  

IH went to that design during the 86 series production I think. Nothing the matter at all . RELAX don't worry I do throw away the front cover & plate gaskets after having quite a bit of trouble with the oil pressure gallery area failing.

Even IH stuff is aftermarket. The big problem is the market for the aftermarket parts is shrinking, and it's gotten too small to support lots of vendors and competition. The remaining market is demanding lowest-cost product for the most part, so the lowest-cost supplier ends up with the business. How does the lowest-cost supplier keep the cost low? By cutting corners, of course...

• Like 2

I have used Maxiforce parts in Deere engines and thought it was fine stuff.  I got engine parts for a 7.6 Deere here last month from A&I and it was all Vapormatic, thougth that was interesting as when the A&I warehouse was here in town and I could pick up in person all I got for Deere's was maxiforce?  They moved the local warehouse to Canada and now everything I get comes from IA, and it has been Vapormatic?

22 minutes ago, TP from Central PA said:

I have used Maxiforce parts in Deere engines and thought it was fine stuff.  I got engine parts for a 7.6 Deere here last month from A&I and it was all Vapormatic, thougth that was interesting as when the A&I warehouse was here in town and I could pick up in person all I got for Deere's was maxiforce?  They moved the local warehouse to Canada and now everything I get comes from IA, and it has been Vapormatic?

I thought A&I bought Vapormatic years ago

The  Canadian A&I warehouse was in Woodstock Ontario until a few months ago . ............they moved it to Grimsby to ..wait ....you got it to the  John Deere Regional Distribution Center  Grimsby, ON  😩

34 minutes ago, hillman said:

I thought A&I bought Vapormatic years ago

The  Canadian A&I warehouse was in Woodstock Ontario until a few months ago . ............they moved it to Grimsby to ..wait ....you got it to the  John Deere Regional Distribution Center  Grimsby, ON  😩

Our warehouse closed at the end of January of this year, and while I didn't buy a ton last year, in '18 I did move alot of parts and maxiforce was common on the shelves there.  Yes, Grimsby is my "Assigned" warehouse now, they never have everything there............The warehouses in GA and Ill pack stuff like crap and it either arrives missing or smashed to crap, so I get everything out of IA.  They do a good job packing there.  

I have heard that Federal Mogul is a good alternative by a guy in Lancaster PA that sold 100 old tractors last year

Edited, I incorrectly used the wrong name of the company .... 

3 hours ago, TP from Central PA said:

Our warehouse closed at the end of January of this year, and while I didn't buy a ton last year, in '18 I did move alot of parts and maxiforce was common on the shelves there.  Yes, Grimsby is my "Assigned" warehouse now, they never have everything there............The warehouses in GA and Ill pack stuff like crap and it either arrives missing or smashed to crap, so I get everything out of IA.  They do a good job packing there.  

I am somewhat surprised John Deere has A&I under the same roof as the JD warehouse even though its not actually a secret JD owns the majority shares of A&I. ( JD has not manufactured anything in Canada for almost 10 years) when I had an account with A&I I found the quality hit and miss at best. Sad because they had great customer service, good prices, good website to order from and really no hassle to return defective parts which was essential due to the quality

5 hours ago, Matt Kirsch said:

Even IH stuff is aftermarket. The big problem is the market for the aftermarket parts is shrinking, and it's gotten too small to support lots of vendors and competition. The remaining market is demanding lowest-cost product for the most part, so the lowest-cost supplier ends up with the business. How does the lowest-cost supplier keep the cost low? By cutting corners, of course...

Great point. What is "OEM" for IH tractors in 2020. 

2 hours ago, bitty said:

I have heard that maxiforce is a good alternative by a guy in Lancaster PA that sold 100 old tractors last year

I’ve had good luck with Maxiforce kits- used several. 

I helped a guy put in a Maxiforce kit and I was not impressed. Inconsistent piston pin fit, a cracked sleeve, I forget what else.

That said, he got another piston/sleeve assembly and the engine went together and runs well.

I do know a source for OEM quality kits from FP/ Federal Mogul, pretty sure it is from the guy bitty is referring to in Lancaster. They have been very good from what I understand. 

41 minutes ago, Super A_sepa said:

I helped a guy put in a Maxiforce kit and I was not impressed. Inconsistent piston pin fit, a cracked sleeve, I forget what else.

That said, he got another piston/sleeve assembly and the engine went together and runs well.

I do know a source for OEM quality kits from FP/ Federal Mogul, pretty sure it is from the guy bitty is referring to in Lancaster. They have been very good from what I understand. 

I stand corrected, it is Federal Mogul .... My mind is slipping with the excessive heat outside. 

Jesse Stoltsfus is who said they have had good luck with these kits 

1 hour ago, hillman said:

I am somewhat surprised John Deere has A&I under the same roof as the JD warehouse even though its not actually a secret JD owns the majority shares of A&I. ( JD has not manufactured anything in Canada for almost 10 years) when I had an account with A&I I found the quality hit and miss at best. Sad because they had great customer service, good prices, good website to order from and really no hassle to return defective parts which was essential due to the quality

Other than some electrical switches, I haven't had any issues.  The IH shifter parts we discussed a while back must have had its supply chain moved with the trade war, because I sold and put those in with no trouble, and now they are causing trouble, but I haven't sold any for over a year plus.  Some of the green combine wear parts from A&I were of better quality than the OEM, did some comparisons on parts myself.  Granted have seen pictures floating around on the interweb of augers from A&I with welds breaking, but I would guess you would have issues with welds from Deere too these days.  

20 hours ago, bitty said:

I stand corrected, it is Federal Mogul .... My mind is slipping with the excessive heat outside. 

Jesse Stoltsfus is who said they have had good luck with these kits 

Yep that's it, Restoration Tractor Sales.

• Like 1