Colaguy

Bad year for tomatoes

Anyone else here in Iowa having really bad ugly tomatoes with black spots. Also have lots of bruised tomatoes from hail

• Sad 1

Ours are better than last year, but still pretty poor, lots of splits and black spots.

• Sad 1

the worst thing about the tomatoes is they look nice from the outside but when you cut them open they are moldy in the inside. Last year was the best tomatoes I ever had

• Sad 1

My master gardener wife says it sounds like tomato blight (early blight).   If it is only on a couple of plants you can pull them so it doesn’t spread.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, shot_gun_red said:

One of the best in years in ks.

Same here for us .  We only plant heirloom, 

best crop I have ever had .

• Like 1

Yes had early blight late blight I think even blight on blight. Did spray for it but didn't help much. Been growing tomatoes for 45 years worst I ever had. I  plant all variety of tomatoes and regular tomatoes blight-resistant ones 

• Sad 1

My wife says to try “Gardentech.com” and search for how to identify, control and prevent blight on your tomatoes.  She said a product called serenade is an organic fungicide that works well as a preventative.  Good luck.

• Thanks 2

Got a rise bed ,here ,they tomato 🍅 are doing ok , had a real nice one at the bottom ,raccoons tasted it. They are not doing ok

pruned them to get more sunshine 🌞 into the center cut off all levels dragging in the soil 

• Like 1

Variety called Grandma’s , first  for us this year ,we like them 

36D9DC7D-B16B-4A8D-BEC7-D5C980A24ABE.jpeg

• Like 2

Very nice looking tomatoes. Will have to look for them next season.

• Like 1

It is my understanding that the blight is in the soil and takes many years of no tomatoes to get rid of. Our tomatoes in the garden aren’t doing as well as the ones near the house that my wife put in separate pots. Those are going wild, maybe try new soil in raised planters. 
my friend has a hornworm infestation on his, went from soggy wet to hot and humid this year and it was a bad deal all the way around. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Yes I heard that also that the blight is in the soil. We had cold spring lots of rain then hot dry than rain and hot again. And to top it off part of the neighbors tree feel on the garden 

IMG_20200810_115348617.jpg

• Sad 2

No black spots on ours that im aware of. Wife been canning salsa and tomatoe juice/ sauce.

• Like 3

Yes, should rotate your tomatoes around in your garden...................3 year rotation for location, 4 is better.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Wife's has Blossom End Stem Rot.

She has been fighting this for years.

Not her, her tomatoes.

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, Colaguy said:

Very nice looking tomatoes. Will have to look for them next season.

Let me know if you need some 

I got hit last night ,the peanut butter on trap was cleaned off clean as a whistle and did not trip, got some pros I’m dealing with . 
Thunder , 

Look at the texture of the tomato , it’s a smooth and not as tart acid. And more than usual,with a tender skin, don’t need a steak knife to cut . 

image.jpg

• Sad 1

23 hours ago, Colaguy said:

Yes I heard that also that the blight is in the soil. We had cold spring lots of rain then hot dry than rain and hot again. And to top it off part of the neighbors tree feel on the garden 

IMG_20200810_115348617.jpg

So sorry to see that , can you save any thing ? 
Also might try cutting stock of tomato and replant in potting soils to save ,🤷‍♂️I don’t know ,worth a try ,thunder 

• Like 1

I was very lucky none of the tomatoes really got squished cuz I have woven wire as tomato cages and concrete wire that they use in concrete as cages. so it was really strong and the A-frame that I have for the cucumbers is made out of 4 by 8 wire panels they put in for concrete so it kind of held stuff up.

Was looking like a good year here until Monday. That wind was hard on them, and the rest of the garden. Stupid beatles are unrelenting, need to dust them again.

Posted (edited)

The Beatles they seem to like my rhubarb a lot of the leaves by the way I work with the guy that lives in Newton I work for signature at the Des Moines airport his name is Marty he was telling me how bad the trees blew over 

Edited by Colaguy
Had it on voice message it picked it up from tv

On ‎8‎/‎12‎/‎2020 at 12:51 PM, Diesel Doctor said:

Wife's has Blossom End Stem Rot.

She has been fighting this for years.

Not her, her tomatoes.

You need a fertilizer with calcium in it to stop blossom end rot and water regularly.

• Thanks 1

What i have tried over the last couple of years and it seems to work is use epsom salt. About a ¼ cup of epsom salt in the bottom of hole before you plant.than just a little dirt on top than plant your tomatoes.