Sign in to follow this  
vtfireman85

Toyota 4 Runner

My wife has been agonizing over a new car for months, we have gone to “see” every midsize SUV on the market and test driven a few, The grand Cherokee, wrangler unlimited, the 4 Runner. She agonized over the Gladiator for quite a while but finally settled on the Toyota. After a week of calling all the dealers in a 500 mile radius who listed a red 4 runner with her specs in our price range and much aggravation and frustration, either it was sold or was advertised at a good price but then there were 3000 dollars in hidden fees, or the one that was the closest had a 2800 dollar aftermarket, dealer installed sunroof that they “forgot to mention “ in the cars.com ad. We were getting frustrated and discouraged to say the least.  The 4Runner is made and Assembled in Japan so for the last 3 months NOTHING has come in, 4Runners are pretty desirable and any dealers that have one aren’t doing dealer swaps. I finally gave up and I called White River Toyota, where my brother and several friends have gone with much satisfaction, to ask what the deal is with ordering one, we don’t care how long we wait, told her our budget, and our needs, 2 hours later I had put a deposit on one that has yet to be built, supposed to arrive end of September, early October. We should have started here in the first place. Hopefully all goes well. 
anyone else driving one? My brother has a Tacoma, I love it, I like the 4Runner ever since my friend Big Dick in college had one, 379k on the original drivetrain, body was shot but man that thing would go! I am impressed with Toyota and the way they stand behind an issue. Can’t wait to sell the LAV, I will smile the day that POS goes down the road. 

Brother has had A V8 4Runner since college. It has over 250K on the clock now and has had very few minor issues. I’d love to have a 4Runner or Tacoma for a work car but I don’t spend used car Toyota money for a work car. They retain value too well. I can’t imagine you could go wrong from what I’ve seen. We are close to a large Toyota mfg plant so I know several who work there and drive Toyota vehicles. 

• Like 1

It's really hard to go wrong on a Toyota product. I know a couple of people with one to two year old 4 runners and they absolutely love them. 

• Like 1

No experience with that beefier model here, but my wife is in her third RAV4 limited, and we have run them all to 100k with -no issues-, -no return trips to dealer-,none, ever, for anything.  Actually our first one had a rear sway bar or sway bar end link recall, so, we did have to take one back, once. Unlike my last three new (Domestic) truck’s that can’t make it 6 months without needing to go back for a recall or warranty issue. I wanted her to get a Highlander last time, but she likes the easy to hot rod around parking lots size of the rav. 

• Like 1

My SIL says once you own a Toyota you are stuck with it because you will never own anything but Toyota .

• Like 1

Any company that replaces frames on 12 year old vehicles on their 3rd owner has my vote of confidence. I really wanted the TRD off road model for cool features, but the MRS doesn’t need any of those and for some silver accents and a fake hood scoop it’s not worth the extra money, so we got the base model, it’s more money than we wanted to spend but it should hold its value well, I am excited to have something other than my vehicles to take on a trip. We always argue when we take the LAV, we both hate it . The 4 runner is Body on frame Same

old 4.0 v6 for years and the same 5 speed auto forever. Wish we could get a manual 🤬

I’m in the market for a 4Runner. I still have my 2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab SR5 TRD 4WD which I bought new for myself but I have the new car bug and have a desire to get a 4Runner. Trouble is there’s absolutely nothing wrong with my Tundra. Just antsy to get something different and new I guess. I want to stick with 4WD if I get a 4Runner. They also come in 2WD. There’s no other SUV types out there that interest me. Just waiting right now to see what happens with this stupid chink virus right now, and also waiting for the annual Toyota Sell-A-Thon to start on the 2020’s. 

1 hour ago, vtfireman85 said:

Lesbian Assault Vehicle-Subaru Forester. 

Curious minds would like to know - by or on?

........they  are  very reliable vehicles.......possibly the old 2.4  Diesel had some issues...well it did.....but if you made it 'breathe''    better  they were fine....Our 2005   Hilux   4x4   has done nearly four hundred thousand  kilometers..no worries..still goes perfectly........and the blue truck, pictured.....has a ten speed electric shift   and the big (!!!)    4.2 litre diesel    .......its done over three hundred thousand    K's.....again...no issues......

The blue  Toyota truck has carted   distressed   IHC equipment   all over the South Island   plus two forays into the North Island......usually overloaded...and often pulling a tandem trailer......no powerhouse...obviously.....but total reliability......

......but you should be buying American.......;)

Mike

DSC02252.JPG

DSC02198.JPG

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, mike newman said:

........they  are  very reliable vehicles.......possibly the old 2.4  Diesel had some issues...well it did.....but if you made it 'breathe''    better  they were fine....Our 2005   Hilux   4x4   has done nearly four hundred thousand  kilometers..no worries..still goes perfectly........and the blue truck, pictured.....has a ten speed electric shift   and the big (!!!)    4.2 litre diesel    .......its done over three hundred thousand    K's.....again...no issues......

The blue  Toyota truck has carted   distressed   IHC equipment   all over the South Island   plus two forays into the North Island......usually overloaded...and often pulling a tandem trailer......no powerhouse...obviously.....but total reliability......

......but you should be buying American.......;)

Mike

DSC02252.JPG

DSC02198.JPG

I like that truck, 200k looks like a lot of seat time in that thing. The domestic market has nothing whatsoever that appeals to us, over priced, over fluffed under powered yuppie cars. Jeep has nice offerings, if you consider them domestic still. I like the Toyota for reputation and owner satisfaction. 
if you read reviews from car and driver and such they don’t have much good to say, yet dealers can’t keep them in stock and people keep buying them over and over . I think that says a lot. 

Parts guy at Toyota in Lincoln took SCUBA lessons from me . Turned out to be a great  diver , he was one of those occasional people that just seamed to be a natural at it and he traveled with me on several trips until he got married ,  

well any way  he’s a loyal Toyota die hard and is always bragging them up. 

The only bad thing I ever heard him say about a Toyota was about the 4 runner , 

says they have a real bad blind spot , that the A pilller is like having a Wall in front of you that you have to look around while driving .

I personally have never driven one , that’s just his comment . 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

Lesbian Assault Vehicle-Subaru Forester. 

Yeah, and most still have a Bernie sticker on the back.  To many running around here.  The Subaru image has faded in the last decade or so and the resale value has gone with it, wife is setting rid of hers now, she bought a Honda CRV, whatever, just so it is dependable.  

Toyota's are tuff, I have a tacoma (my third and I will keep this one for awhile). wife used to have a Sienna mini van.  In over 15 years in Tacoma’s mine have been into the shop for one thing (smelled burning oil, it was the front dif leaking onto the exhaust, they replace the whole assembly) they don’t leave you on the side of the road.   To bad the fuel economy sucks, but you break even with not having maintenance bills I think

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AKwelder said:

Yeah, and most still have a Bernie sticker on the back.  To many running around here.  The Subaru image has faded in the last decade or so and the resale value has gone with it, wife is setting rid of hers now, she bought a Honda CRV, whatever, just so it is dependable.  

Toyota's are tuff, I have a tacoma (my third and I will keep this one for awhile). wife used to have a Sienna mini van.  In over 15 years in Tacoma’s mine have been into the shop for one thing (smelled burning oil, it was the front dif leaking onto the exhaust, they replace the whole assembly) they don’t leave you on the side of the road.   To bad the fuel economy sucks, but you break even with not having maintenance bills I think

My MIL has. CRV and loves it, I feel like I am driving one of those mules with just a steering wheel, but it’s been 10 trouble free years 

Neighbor just traded his 17 Highlander in . His was black and black interior 3 rd level interior package. 47,000 miles . He traded for a new 2020 2nd highest interior package . 20,000 to trade his new one is being transferred out of Sioux Falls. His is probably sold when he swaps for new ome

You will be happy with that Toyota.  Hardly ever hear a bad thing about them.  Have had 4 Toyota tundras at work that have been very good.  We leased a Subaru Forester.  Less than impressed.  That thing had way to many problems at 45K miles.  Got a CRV to replace it .  We had one before the Subaru.  The four other Hondas we have had were very good.  

• Like 1

Well, we flew up to St Albans to get it from handy Toyota today! Long day but was nice to get to ride down together. The dealer was good but as always way too long winded on the paperwork. 2.5 hrs, but they picked us up at Franklin county airport, so we politely listened to the extended warranty sales pitch and then politely declined. 
note the MRS, soaking up the sun like a lizard while I mowed the hanger lawn and her dad did his pre-flight, then N3963D in all its 1957 glory (nice plane, but you better all be friendly) and finally who was that masked woman with the new 4 runner?

73A87830-C317-4B80-86B0-7F28A222173B.jpeg

848F38A4-29A4-4955-8CD7-6E6E31AEFBA4.jpeg

8E725178-6891-4DC0-846F-A0F92E7CDF0F.jpeg

6BCC7883-82D2-48FC-8E34-D8EC47B86B45.jpeg

8 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

Well, we flew up to St Albans to get it from handy Toyota today! Long day but was nice to get to ride down together. The dealer was good but as always way too long winded on the paperwork. 2.5 hrs, but they picked us up at Franklin county airport, so we politely listened to the extended warranty sales pitch and then politely declined. 
note the MRS, soaking up the sun like a lizard while I mowed the hanger lawn and her dad did his pre-flight, then N3963D in all its 1957 glory (nice plane, but you better all be friendly) and finally who was that masked woman with the new 4 runner?

73A87830-C317-4B80-86B0-7F28A222173B.jpeg

848F38A4-29A4-4955-8CD7-6E6E31AEFBA4.jpeg

8E725178-6891-4DC0-846F-A0F92E7CDF0F.jpeg

6BCC7883-82D2-48FC-8E34-D8EC47B86B45.jpeg

Jealous! ( of the plane)🤪

So, did you let her drive home or did you tell her it had to be test drive by you?😂

No it’s her car, not mine, she drove 2 miles to Warner’s snack bar and said I’m done, get out of my seat😂

she doesn’t like to drive, she is very cautious and follows the rules exactly, so I don’t mind riding with her but she really doesn’t like to be the driver If she has another option. 

• Like 1

Congrats on your fine purchase. I’ve still got the hots for a 4Runner, but now we may defer until a 2021 model now. I am shooting for either a silver one or a white one. 

I heard rumors that the 4Runner will be in for a make-over for 2022, possibly going hybrid!!?? No thanks. I’m sure the 2022 price tag will have a nice juicy make-over as well. The prices on these new pickup trucks and and SUV’s are already ludicrous enough as it is. I’m not sold on electrics or hybrids, I just don’t trust them. I guess I’m old school.

That dealership must be some interesting phone calls and walk ins when the advertise for a new job.

My wife and I were looking at a 4 runner about 15 years ago, I think it was a 98. One thing that stood out about it was it was a 5 speed manual. We had a very hard time passing on that one but we just couldn't make it happen at the time.

44 minutes ago, TractormanMike.mb said:

My wife and I were looking at a 4 runner about 15 years ago, I think it was a 98. One thing that stood out about it was it was a 5 speed manual. We had a very hard time passing on that one but we just couldn't make it happen at the time.

Thing of the past these days , Her Subaru is a manual but it’s that car’s ONLY redeeming quality. She almost went with a Jeep because of the transmission but the Toyota felt like a safer purchase I guess, I tried to stay out of the decision as I was very biased

• Like 1

Should be a good one. Congrats.