Do you grease your balls?

Been thinking.  

Do you grease your hitch balls? 

Dad always does and I hated it growing up. Grease got everywhere.  

I tend to not to do mine.    Hate grease everywhere.  And doesnt grease attract dirt so it would hurt it faster maybe??? 

Just wondered what you guys do. 

Thanks. 

Chris. 

What about using the  graphite that comes in an spray can, the same stuff that at least I used to lube the drum gasket on the cyclo planter.

• Like 2

I don't grease my balls as a general rule, on a long trip with the camper I do oil the equalizer hitch and tend to dribble some oil on there when I do that. my father replaces balls when the chrome wears out, so I have a ready supply of good balls. 

• Like 2

I do before a trip. Just a skim to keep friction down. I tend to wipe most of it off after use. 

• Like 2
48 minutes ago, Sledgehammer said:

I do before a trip. Just a skim to keep friction down. I tend to wipe most of it off after use. 

you should always wipe it off after use

• Like 2

On my gooseneck I have a shocker hitch and I keep both greased ,makes the ride better. 

• Like 1

I used a friends Goose neck cow trailer and he had a white Nylon Ball cover stuck in side his trailer hitch,   about the thickness of 1/16 to 3/16,  fits about 2/3 thirds of the top of the ball,  He said he has always used them,  he never had grease on anything.

I slide one on our Goose neck hitch before I used his trailer,  after several hundred miles,  I returned his trailer,   unhooked the trailer and the cover still looked New!!

I haven't looked for this item on line,    He must order them from a trailer company.

Jim Droscha

A buddy of mine, his dad swore by it, said you had to grease a trailer ball. He'd pump a bunch all over it, then it would splatter or blow all over the front of whatever he was hauling, then you would lean over the tailgate to get something or walk by it and ever so slightly brush against it and get grease on your pants. It always drove us nuts. His excuse was: "do you really think it's a good idea not to!?! What if that was to seize up during a turn, or before you needed to make a turn? You'd get into an accident!!". Hahaha like it's spinning at 3,000 rpm in there😂

1 hour ago, farmer john 8910 said:

Never greased one and never worn one out either 

X4 

Ill bet my Gooseneck has close to 100,000 miles too...

Don't  grease,  never wore a ball out but have had to replace a trailer hitch on my gooseneck as it wore clear through and the latch was carrying the weight on the shoulder of the high rise ball

3 hours ago, farmallman77 said:

Been thinking.  

Do you grease your hitch balls? 

Dad always does and I hated it growing up. Grease got everywhere.  

I tend to not to do mine.    Hate grease everywhere.  And doesnt grease attract dirt so it would hurt it faster maybe??? 

Just wondered what you guys do. 

Thanks. 

Chris. 

Chris, when I read topic title, I just KNEW Lorenzo posted it.

I was wrong....again.

And to answer your topic title question, sometimes .

• Haha 3
44 minutes ago, MTO said:

And to answer your topic title question, sometimes .

Please tell me you own a trailer.

• Haha 3
2 hours ago, tractorholic said:

I grease mine occasionally  otherwise it creaks with a load of cattle in the livestock trailer. 

Exactly...never did a bumper pull.  My cattle trailer is really squelchy even empty.  Just a thumbfull of wheel bearing grease fixes it for quit a while actually.  I mean its squeaking hard if dry.  Buuut my local cattle jockey guy has 100s or 1000s of miles on his similar trailers an says never squeek.  So odd.

1 hour ago, 1480x3 said:

Don't  grease,  never wore a ball out but have had to replace a trailer hitch on my gooseneck as it wore clear through and the latch was carrying the weight on the shoulder of the high rise ball

Our gooseneck at work has never had grease on the ball and it has turned the ball loose a bit on the one truck. It has also wore the ball a little but has wore the jaws out on the trailer hitch. I always ask the shop guys if I should grease it and they say no you dont grease them. I grease ours at home and everything still looks like new so I'll keep putting just a light coating on them. I never had grease on my clothes from hitches, and I can get grease on myself from a sealed cartridge 😂

This is for gooseneck balls. My bumper pulls are pintle so no grease there lol

• Thanks 1