I'm looking at a 1086 has 5000 hrs on it and has a mechanical diode ta in it are they good or bad don't know anything about them. Thanks MD 7140

59 minutes ago, MD7140 said:

I'm looking at a 1086 has 5000 hrs on it and has a mechanical diode ta in it are they good or bad don't know anything about them. Thanks MD 7140

I installed that that T/A setup years ago in mine they were warranted for 5 yrs I never had any issues it  was a Case-IH T/A  used the tractor a lot in tillage also so I was satisfied 

We installed quite a few of those back in the day. Reputation for them was very poor. Many got replaced under warranty and not by a diode ta. 

Just curious, what was the main improvement over the standard ta?

1 hour ago, highcotton said:

Educate me- what exactly is a diode TA?

1 hour ago, TractormanMike.mb said:

Just curious, what was the main improvement over the standard ta?

The diode replaced the sprag clutch that was the drive for the low side in the TA. The diode sounded like a great idea but they didn’t prove reliable, especially in the 14s and 15s. The attached photo is not the one used in the TA but is similar. 

6F93F96F-F5A5-4895-8346-30B9D75B0B4F.png

• Like 2
10 hours ago, MinnesotaFarmall said:

Just out of curiosity, would this make a clacking, or ticking noise when it is in the direct side, but dissapear in the low side of the t.a.? 

interesting you say that , mine does the samething, a little more like gear/ticking type noise wehn idling, as soon as u speed up engine it doenst seem to do it as much 

if i move it to low site it quits

5 hours ago, MarkG said:

Is the function and operation of the diode similar to a Detroit locker differential?

Not exactly. That would be much better than the mechanical diode if they could fit it into the space where the sprag is. The problem with the "MD" is that with any kind of wear you may end up with just one, or a few of the "flappers' seating all the way into place for lockup. The Massey Ferguson Multi Power had a good low side system that was completely mechanical and never(?) failed, but their high side was weak.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Nice looking tractor!

DWF

• Like 1
11 hours ago, MD7140 said:

Bought the 1086 I was asking about will be used for light duty and running a auger

IMG_20200819_170713.jpg

IMG_20200819_170729.jpg

Nice looking original. It's had some love the past 41 year's.

Is it a true red power ? That would to it and looks nice