Sign in to follow this  
zleinenbach

Road Trip

I’ve decided to make the trip to Farmall land this weekend. 
anything else along this route to see? Anyone need anything relocated?

I know you can spend days looking at things, but what is realistic amount of time to see the collection?

im trying to figure out what kind of accommodations I’ll be needing to make

D3A3F97B-7B24-44B4-ADE7-EC0EA50A6FBB.png

• Like 1

Couple hours will see it all. 

Dont know if it is open with all thats going on but there is a pretty neat train museum in omaha. Think it might be in an old library building downtown? We stopped at farmall land a couple years ago and went on out to train museum and spent nite or two there. Also if you come i80 there is a pretty neat car museum in iowa city? Herbert Hoover museum also not far from iowa city also pretty near 80.  And DesMoines has Living History Farm with hotels right next door and Machine Shed family style restraunt right there too.

Winterset has the covered bridges and John Wayne birthplace. 

1 hour ago, jass1660 said:

And some greaseball trucker with some old Mopigs laying around but tours are closed due to working 7 days a week...

Winterset has a city park with one of the covered bridges, a hedge maze and Clarke Tower that you can go up in and look over the valley. Pammell park is an ok place to go to for a picnic and drive across the ford(river...not the vehicle).

There is a historical complex in town with a barn full of antique farm equip, an old mansion, a museum with the largest rock collection you may ever see, and some old buildings like a railroad depot, post office, school house, etc. They are not open for tours right now but if anyone is ever in the area it is worth the time to stop.

The John Wayne museum is open. Bridges are an outdoor thing that are always open of course...

If you go up to Des Moines and head over there is the place of the first Jesse James train robbery and then there’s also along the way the tree in the middle of the road both dumb little things but they’re kind of cool to see

Hannibal, MO is pretty neat.  Looks like one of your routes would go right through there.  Safe travels.

Go home on I80 and stop in at Colfax Tractor Parts, wander around their yard a little and stop in the office to pester NEPoweshiekFarmalls. 

• Like 1

American Pickers is in Leclaire on the river I believe.

1 hour ago, new guy said:

And some greaseball trucker with some old Mopigs laying around but tours are closed due to working 7 days a week...

Winterset has a city park with one of the covered bridges, a hedge maze and Clarke Tower that you can go up in and look over the valley. Pammell park is an ok place to go to for a picnic and drive across the ford(river...not the vehicle).

There is a historical complex in town with a barn full of antique farm equip, an old mansion, a museum with the largest rock collection you may ever see, and some old buildings like a railroad depot, post office, school house, etc. They are not open for tours right now but if anyone is ever in the area it is worth the time to stop.

Is that where you live? We were there all of Friday afternoon and ate at the sports bar on 92.

Is that where you live? We were there all of Friday afternoon and ate at the sports bar on 92.

20 miles south of Winterset. Pretty good food at that place. We dont eat out often but i get a chance to take my wife out for lunch we go there. She works in Winterset.

Did you do some sight seeing while here?

2 hours ago, jass1660 said:

American Pickers is in Leclaire on the river I believe.

Yep, north at the absolute last Iowa exit before going over the Mississippi River, Rt 67 north, about a half a block off Rt 67  to the left just as you get into town.  Look for the old Hudson car.

I'm not really a fan of the show, or their shops. Was WAY too much like scrounging around in Dad's barns full of junk.

If your running I-80 east bound into Illinois,  Exit 27, Atkinson, Illinois, then south to Rt in 34, Galva, Illinois is Jerry Kuster's little IH museum, The Ole Red Farm Shed, Machinery Pete made a video of his museum and what all IH stuff he has in his sheds at home. He's got 4-5 first tractors of several models off the line from Farmall.  

You could also drive through Rock Island into Moline and into East Moline but you would'nt recognize either the Farmall Plant, not much left of it, and the East Moline Plant is just a bare lot, last time I saw it.

Looks like you are going I70, firefighters memorial at kingdom city, I’m not sure if it’s still open but nostalgiaville at exit 148 kingdom city, going to KC you have the big bass pro off the hiway.

Going up from KC you have liberty city where Jesse James had his first robbery and is buried there I believe Frank is also, up the road is Kearny where the James ranch is, and I’m not sure exactly where farmall land is but st Joseph is where the pony express started and the original starting point display museum.

You then have the Jesse James house and patee museum along with a doll museum in town also.

4 hours ago, new guy said:

20 miles south of Winterset. Pretty good food at that place. We dont eat out often but i get a chance to take my wife out for lunch we go there. She works in Winterset.

Did you do some sight seeing while here?

Saw a few of the bridges hit the covered bridge winery and bought some hooch. Couple guys that work for UPS in Des Moines and Davenport were born in Winterset that I know.

I wouldn't take I70 across Missouri. I would take 36 across from Hannibal to St. Joe. More scenic and less traffic. 

Looks like this trip will have a brief reprieve due to volunteer fire Dept duties that, somehow, slipped my mind.

i guess I may have to take my son out of school to witness this.

thanks to all for the info—- seems to be a lot more to due in Iowa than southern Indiana !!!!

2 hours ago, jass1660 said:

Saw a few of the bridges hit the covered bridge winery and bought some hooch. Couple guys that work for UPS in Des Moines and Davenport were born in Winterset that I know.

We escaped MN before it got over the top liberal. Been here 11 years now i think. Never leaving here til i am dead then they can bury me back home.

1 hour ago, zleinenbach said:

Looks like this trip will have a brief reprieve due to volunteer fire Dept duties that, somehow, slipped my mind.

thanks to all for the info—- seems to be a lot more to due in Iowa than southern Indiana !!!!

No Holiday World this summer? LOL

1 hour ago, zleinenbach said:

Tell them you've been quarantined to Iowa😁👍

11 hours ago, new guy said:

The John Wayne museum is open. Bridges are an outdoor thing that are always open of course...

Probly  20 yrs ago seems like we bought a tape or CD at the John Wayne museum that guided us to the covered bridges as well as giving info on them. Was a nice way to spend the afternoon.

Coming that far, not much more to Huron😀

14 hours ago, Sledgehammer said:

No Holiday World this summer? LOL

They finally opened, I’m not a big fan of it but kiddos are. We did too much work during off times in winter to enjoy that place! haha

i drive past it yesterday on a service call, parking lot maybe 10% full, heard that the distancing and what not have played havoc there. Not to mention having to clean the rides every time.

maybe after November things will clear up

On 8/4/2020 at 12:10 PM, ihrondiesel said:

Go home on I80 and stop in at Colfax Tractor Parts, wander around their yard a little and stop in the office to pester NEPoweshiekFarmalls. 

I like the way you think, but I will be in Huron. Leaving Friday AM.  😊

• Like 1

Update- Friday it’s happening. Luke gets out of school 230 ish, hop in the truck and head west. Should get there around midnight-1. Visit museum and the head back. Does anyone have any items that can fit in a truck bed they need hauled along the way to/from?