Sign in to follow this  
edwardporter1

2005 9900i

the brake lights are stuck on  my 2005 IH 9900i. I have to pull the circuit bteaker to shut them off. I cant seem to find the brake switch .i cleaned all around the brake pedal and got the dash apart looking for the switch. Though maybe a shorted bulb so replaced the tail lights. i have turn signals and parking lights but the brake lights stay on. Help is needed and appreciated greatly

Have you looked at the brake valve for a pressure switch underneath the dashboard or on the firewall in the engine compartment?

Driver side firewall under hood. Red line painted around switch. 

I'm pretty sure the brake lights work off a pressure switch that will be on the engine side of the firewall. It will have an airline going to it. Not 100%

20200803_221007.thumb.jpg.1c6b512ba9d2730c96053b4f063414fe.jpg

Double check that the Johnny stick isn’t causing it. My mechanic was pulling his hair out until I told him to check the Johnny stick. Turns out he pulled it to check the brake lights and forgot to take it off!! But I’m sure it has a switch that could give you trouble, too.

5 hours ago, brewcrew said:

Double check that the Johnny stick isn’t causing it. My mechanic was pulling his hair out until I told him to check the Johnny stick. Turns out he pulled it to check the brake lights and forgot to take it off!! But I’m sure it has a switch that could give you trouble, too.

Well this morning i bumped the stick and the lights went out. Problem solved. How we can overlook the obvious. Now to put the dash back together and a couple things to secure under the hood.  Thanks a million for the tip. You and the rest of the forum are so great and willing to help

• Like 1

I had a 9900i from 2000 to 2007,. Even though I don't have it now, what is a Johnny stick? Thanks.

DWF

Johnny Bar

Johnson Bar

Trolley Valve

One more name for the hand valve that applies the trailer brakes without applying the tractor brakes.

8 hours ago, edwardporter1 said:

Well this morning i bumped the stick and the lights went out. Problem solved. How we can overlook the obvious. Now to put the dash back together and a couple things to secure under the hood.  Thanks a million for the tip. You and the rest of the forum are so great and willing to help

Ain’t it nice when it turns out to be something simple! (Well, after you FIND that simple thing lol)