Can anybody teach me how to shift like this?

MCC

14 hours ago, DOCTOR EVIL said:

Yep,  an M should pull that load of corn anywhere in 4th gear, but lug way down in 5th,  he was using 7th & 8th pulling that hill up to the yard. Pretty sure he's clutching on every shift.

Yeah, I suspected it was a 9-speed.

2 hours ago, Jeff-C-IL said:

Its so depends on the exact machine.  We had 2 old Ford grain trucks 1968 & 1972.  Both had 4 speed transmissions and split rear ends.  One had a 390, the other a 361.  Gearing was the same on both.  I could float shift the '72 and never grind a gear.  Try to float the '68, and I'd ALWAYS grind the 3-4th shift.    Same for 2 semi tractors I had...the timing was just enough different.....

You do that enough on any machine, you can hear the exact moment the engine hits the RPM's needed to slip it into the next gear.

Have shifted 06 to 86 & 2+2 no clutch, You mention semi tractors. My 1st, a 9670 with 13 speed I was leaving the mill one night loaded & as I was in the 2nd to 3rd shift, still learning, in short turn, and did something wrong. Sounded like a shotgun going off in the cab, truck jerked then went on as normal. Was telling a buddy about it and I said " don't know how anything can sound and feel like that and not break a tooth off something" .  Never did have any issues with that in several more years.

On 8/2/2020 at 8:59 PM, 1480x3 said:

I could do that with the H & MTA, but not the 300 or 400. Had to be careful with the curly shift lever .

i was going to say the same thing, its way easier to do it with the straight vs curled lever - you dont have the same feel 

I could upshift and downshift a Super H in the field in the lower gears if I was pulling something easy like a light trailer. Used to be able to double-clutch from 5th to 4th if I was lucky and did it right. Nowadays I wouldn't even want to try to downshift with a newer non-synchro tractor. 

I do that with my OS6 going 4th to 5th and back. Never had anything that needed to go below 4th to pull it. I would say the closer the gear ratios are the easier it is. On my 6 the jump from 4 to 5th is huge, so you have to be wide open in 4th and almost at an idle going into 5th. Never use the clutch to do the shift. I don’t use the clutch on any of the big trucks i drive either  

These are crash boxes. You can’t change gears in them without double clutching on the down shift or letting the revs drop on the down shift. You can not drive a road ranger in a truck any other way. 
I highly doubt those drag cars had a crash box, maybe a dog drive set up, but not a crash box. There is no comparison between what they are doing and what old mate on the tractor is doing. 

We had a  school bus driver try to shift with out the clutch  and ripped a gear out of  it, she said she was watching ice road trucker!!! two weeks later she was backing the bus out of its spot and ripped the output shaft off the transmission!! changed the same tranny twice in two weeks !!! they fired her... i could believe that band parking brake held .

I practiced floating gears on synchromesh transmissions before my CDL test because that's all I had to practice on and there didn't seem to be any significant damage from it except the F150 shifting lever later got detached from the transmission for some reason. My dad wasn't happy about that.

I've never driven a 9-speed M, but it's got to be a 9 speed based on his travel speeds. He's using too many gears to be a straight 5 speed. 

The 9 speed makes the 4-5 shift way easy since you are going a lot faster in "high 4" than "low 4" 

I can shift the 5-speed in a W-4 no clutch 1-2-3-4-5 5-4-3-2-1 easy enough, the first 4 gears real easy since they are close together. 4 to 5 requires planning and not going uphill.  5 to 4 easy, pop out of 5th, rev match, cog it into 4th. No grinding, no effort.