Can anybody teach me how to shift like this?

MCC

This guy obviously knows what he is doing.  I didn't hear a single grind.

What is the trick to doing this?  Like a semi and match RPM with no clutch?

How can I do this without grinding my gears while learning the technique?

• Like 1

He's floating gears. Basically when he shifts he moves the shifter until he can feel the gears lightly touching, then he adjusts the throttle so the speeds match up and the gears can be completely engaged. Obviously he's been doing it for a while. I used to be able to do the same thing with 86 series and 2+2 tractors

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, TractormanMike.mb said:

He's floating gears. Basically when he shifts he moves the shifter until he can feel the gears lightly touching, then he adjusts the throttle so the speeds match up and the gears can be completely engaged. Obviously he's been doing it for a while. I used to be able to do the same thing with 86 series and 2+2 tractors

×2. 

With this old Chamberlain, you start in first, rev to 1900, pull it into neutral, foot off clutch, let engine drop to idle, foot on clutch and carefully pull it into second. Same for third. First to second is the hardest because you can lose your ground speed before the engine revs drop. 
Going down. You let it pull down to about 1100 rpm, pull it into neutral, rev it to 1900, foot on clutch and it will just drop into the lower gear. 
You can do it without the clutch when you practice it no worries. 
If it grinds, revs are either too low or too high. 

3 minutes ago, MCC said:

He's not using the clutch is he?  

It’s the same principle with or without the clutch. Just don’t do it in a synchro box without the clutch or you will wreck the synchro rings and it will pop out of gear every time you back off the revs. 

13 hours ago, MCC said:

This guy obviously knows what he is doing.  I didn't hear a single grind.

What is the trick to doing this?  Like a semi and match RPM with no clutch?

He may or may not be floating gears.  In any case, don’t worry about scratching gears when you are shifting while learning how to float gears.  How much gear grinding do you think there is when you do use the clutch?  I’ve been floating gears on the IH quadrant transmissions (06-86) for decades.  Haven’t killed one yet.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, MCC said:

In short, you can't learn it without grinding, at least at first.

Every omelette starts with the breaking of a few eggs.

One key to the technique is he's not randomly JAMMING the gearshift lever around. He's moving quickly but he's developed a soft touch on the lever.

8 hours ago, RBootsMI said:

I prefer to shift them like these guys...?

They said when automatics came out Ronnie Sox was the only one that never gained any ET using one he was that fast with a gearbox and then to have the elephant under the hood you were against the odds from the start...RIP

• Like 1

Its so depends on the exact machine.  We had 2 old Ford grain trucks 1968 & 1972.  Both had 4 speed transmissions and split rear ends.  One had a 390, the other a 361.  Gearing was the same on both.  I could float shift the '72 and never grind a gear.  Try to float the '68, and I'd ALWAYS grind the 3-4th shift.    Same for 2 semi tractors I had...the timing was just enough different.....

You do that enough on any machine, you can hear the exact moment the engine hits the RPM's needed to slip it into the next gear.

That's how I drive something that's uncomfortable for me to drive. I'm a big guy and theres times that I cant hardly fit. my bil runs his stuff with the seat all the way up. For the life of me I cant figure that out because hes not short at all. Hes as tall as me. But his stuff Is so uncomfortable for me to run I'll basically shift it like this too when I can. If your easy on the levers normally things shift good. His grain truck is an example. Seats stuck forward with my knees in the dash. I stick my knee out the window to clutch it. Lol