Just sharing and open for discussion. This past Wednesday morning I went under the knife to have a hernia operation. 

Last year during my annual physical exam with my doctor, he pointed out to me that he noticed that I had what he called an umbilical hernia. So called because it was starting to protrude out of my belly button area. I said great what do I do about that. He said I should watch it to see if it gets any worse and let him know. If so he would refer me to a surgeon. 

Well it did get worse in size over time and I could also feel it being a problem, so I called my doc and he got me the referral for a surgeon. 

I got it fixed Wednesday, and it was out patient surgery. Came home same day as soon as I recovered from the anesthesia, with my wife doing the driving of course. 

In my case, my surgeon doc decided the damage was not large enough to require the use of a mesh implant. He opted to use dissolving stitches to repair the breach.  

He warned me in advance that I would be very sore at the incision site for about a week afterwards, and I am. Ugh. He prescribed Tramadol as a pain reliever, which I am taking. Not sure it is doing any good. Maybe I would be hurting worse if I wasn’t taking it, I don’t know.

He said I could eat normally, but I am eating in moderation and not stuffing myself for now. 

Incidentally I have no external stitches sealing the incision site, only the internal dissolving stitches inside me at the hernia repair. He sealed me up externally with some sort of layer of glue, which he said will wash away slowly over the next 3 to 4 weeks. So he said there is no open wound care required. Amazing. 

He ordered me to be off work for the next 2 weeks, and I have a follow up appointment scheduled  with him prior to returning to work so he can determine if I can then return to work. Once I do return to work he said I MUST only do “light duty” no heavy lifting for up to 6 weeks. Well I don't know how that is going to play out. I invariably end up having to lift something on a daily basis in my job. I don’t know how much good I’m going to be at work if that’s  the case. Ugh! I am going to have to be very careful. Not looking forward to working during that extended healing  period. 

So I am home for the next couple of weeks at least, burning through my 1 week of sick leave pay that I get each year, plus 1 week of vacation pay. Nuts, what a way to spend vacation time but oh well we were not planning on going anywhere on vacation this summer anyway thanks to the stupid Chink virus. 

Been watching a lot on our NetFlix the past couple days, but also getting up and walking around as well. Doc wants me to get up and move around frequently which I am doing. 

Everyone at the out patient surgery center that worked with me was super nice and compassionate to my plight, lol. I have no complaints on my treatment there. I will be getting an e-mail online survey to complete and I will be giving them high marks. I have also received 2 phone calls, they are checking up on me to ask me how I am doing. That’s impressive. 

So while I am really sore for now, I guess I will be better off going forward having gotten this taken care of. 

I cannot pinpoint where, how, or when I caused this damage to myself. I guess I was careless and over did it doing something stupid at some point. I am going to have to quit beating myself up and abusing my body so much from now on. 

Next up is I know my right knee is going out on me. I’m going to have to have knee surgery at some point in the next couple years I bet. UGH !

My advice is: Don’t get old! ....Hardy har har. 

Anyone else have hernia horror stories to share? Signed, already bored in TX. 

No hernia for me but I’m glad things are going well for you and great medical care is wonderful!

My mom was a nurse , when I was a week old or so she went back to work and left me home with dad  for the first time. 

That night I started crying and crying and dad couldn’t figure out anything to stop me so he took me to the hospital where mom found I had a hernia . Something called strangulated something something . 

I guess baby’s die from it if it’s not fixed. 

still have a heck of a scar from it. 

YEAH been there done that twice even. groin area. inserted mesh good as new. been a long time since that and have watched what I lift all the time. Good luck to you and your healing. Pembroke

oh heck, sorry about the hernia, I have never had to deal with it all i will say is this, do what the dr says because you DO NOT want to tear things up inside from what was repaired. I ripped out some stitches once and that was not good and they were external. 

My brother just had a hernia operation at the end of June. He pretty much dropped a nut as they say. His happened suddenly. He fessed up to all of us one day when he was done tedding 1st cutting hay. He had been running my H on it and when he got off you can tell he was hurting. He told us what was happening and it felt like on that pan seat, even with a proper cushion that he was sitting on his nuts.

Trying to get into a doctor right now is a real PITA. He finally told his wife to take me to the ER. Got right to a surgeon then and got it fixed robotically. 3 small incisions and all fixed. Doc told him during the 1st exam that he was surprised that it took this long for it to come out. He said there's nothing there to hold it in. 

On a Interesting side note. Apparently this runs in the family somewhat. My brother had one as a baby and i found out that my Great Grandpa lived with one almost all his life. Back then it was such major surgery that if it wasn't strangulated they just left it alone. Hard to imagine living with one like that for most of your life.

Same a littered had done twice in groin area first one was scopic with mesh lasted a decade last one was conventional from outside but have partially torn it again probably over a decade now, heed the advice for easing into work and ask for help so you don’t damage the repair until it’s healed, also painkillers can cause constipation drink lots of water and diet to keep things moving

Sure glad to hear it all went as planned Rick.

Enjoy your short time off and now you can tell more stories [with pics] on RP.

Take it easy old man!  😁

I had an abdominal hernia a couple years ago. Doc found small one on left side also. Local surgeon that consulted me first hee hawed around. He would only do one side at a time. He didn't impress me so I went to a different surgeon. He came in the exam room, confident, told me exactly what needed done. He could do both at once using laparoscopic surgery. I was very impressed. I had the surgery done, mesh was used on both sides with just three small incisions and glue. Never filled my pain prescription afterwards, the extra strength Tylenol was able to handle it.

I do wish I had stayed away from work a little longer but have been fine ever since. Of course now I'm layed up with a broken leg with post op infection, talk about pain and boredom!IMG_6194.thumb.JPG.6714a678152709f2fcc75803d34b0f55.JPG

• Sad 3

Hope all goes well Rick!  A buddy of mine had an umbilical hernia repaired and had the mesh implant. He was off 2 1/2 weeks. The day he came back a co worker came up to him and said " Hey! Good to see you back" and preceded to give him a backhanded slap in the gut. He didn't like that!😱

• Sad 1

Same story. Umbilical hernia around 2000, had mess implant. Looked like a bull kicked me for a few weeks, very sore. 2018 had my left knee redone, still not right. Now back is all messed up. Found out at 58 that I have a congenital defect of the spine. Nothing can be done. Using  a TENS device helps. Yup **** getting old. 

Do what they say and 6 months for now you won’t remember it. At least I don’t remember 

I told my oldest after we put the cast oil pan and cast front end truss on a mfd Deere the other day that I dropped a nut and my A$$ fell out(hemorrhoids) all on one machine.  Even with a good jack, those parts are still a PITA and they seem to get heavier every passing year!

10 hours ago, Rick G. said:

So while I am really sore for now, I guess I will be better off going forward having gotten this taken care of. 

Rick G glad to hear doc got you fixed up even though there is some pain. Hopefully complete successful recovery before you know it!!!

9 hours ago, rrr4quality said:

Of course now I'm layed up with a broken leg with post op infection, talk about pain and boredom!

rrr4Quality, watch that infection, nothing to mess around with. Hope they get it cleared up quick and you get that broke leg healed up quick.

• Thanks 1

Had my first hernia surgery about 25 years ago under local anesthesia.  Remember the surgeon telling me to “stop that!” when my low heart rate set off the alarm.  Second was robotic surgery about 3 years ago under general anesthesia.  Seemed to have more discomfort between the entry points near my belly button and the hernia below my belt than from the hernia site itself. As noted, constipation was an issue. Eat lots of fruit and get off the pain meds as soon as you can.  Could believe heredity is a factor, my father and brother have also had hernias.  Take it as easy as you can as far as lifting as you heal.  Good luck!

Had one at 23, pain like I’ve never felt. Mixing beer with pain killers enhances the effect of both and makes you move around as you have to pee more, win win. Hang in there it’ll heal. Follow docs advice. Beware prescription pain killers for real though, I refuse to take anything stronger than Advil. I just make up for it with extra whining. 

• Haha 1

I had groin hernia with mesh repair several years ago. About 10 days into recovery damn cows got out and thought I'd be ok to ride the ATV to get them back in.  I tore something, felt the sensation of blood rushing. Went back to Dr and he said all was ok, but I think something happen because it is a constant source of pretty sharp pain when I move just wrong.  Moral, if Dr says do nothing for 2 weeks, do nothing for 2 weeks.

18 hours ago, jass1660 said:

I know after I was circumcised I didn’t walk for almost a year......

.......gheez      jass.........what exactly did you have circumcised..????....the mind boggles   :rolleyes:

Mike

16 hours ago, farmall57 said:

I had groin hernia with mesh repair several years ago. About 10 days into recovery damn cows got out and thought I'd be ok to ride the ATV to get them back in.  I tore something, felt the sensation of blood rushing. Went back to Dr and he said all was ok, but I think something happen because it is a constant source of pretty sharp pain when I move just wrong.  Moral, if Dr says do nothing for 2 weeks, do nothing for 2 weeks.

Yes but who makes the cow understand this?

I sure am glad I am a insensitive old guy,cause I don't remember having much pain when my hernia got fixed up. Now some other days when healing from cutting out the gallbladder deal a few years latter that hurt. An I don't think pain med did much good that time. But I am still around to complain about it.🤣

Since you are hurting Rick I hope they are not being to careful with the pain pills.May you have good dreams 😉 of red muscle tractors 🤣 or red heads if you rather .

Had an umbilical hernia repaired myself- mesh implant. I didn’t do the prescription pain thing either- took 4 ibuprofen every 4-6 hours. Listen to doc- those things are worse if they have to go In twice. 

On 8/1/2020 at 9:48 AM, rrr4quality said:

I had an abdominal hernia a couple years ago. Doc found small one on left side also. Local surgeon that consulted me first hee hawed around. He would only do one side at a time. He didn't impress me so I went to a different surgeon. He came in the exam room, confident, told me exactly what needed done. He could do both at once using laparoscopic surgery. I was very impressed. I had the surgery done, mesh was used on both sides with just three small incisions and glue. Never filled my pain prescription afterwards, the extra strength Tylenol was able to handle it.

I do wish I had stayed away from work a little longer but have been fine ever since. Of course now I'm layed up with a broken leg with post op infection, talk about pain and boredom!

hey guys hows the hernia coming along, how about the infection on the leg too? boy you guys really know how to make a guy wrench in pain from the chest down WHOA

On 8/2/2020 at 6:59 PM, mike newman said:

.......gheez      jass.........what exactly did you have circumcised..????....the mind boggles   :rolleyes:

Mike

"Once round the deck,

Twice round - - "?